Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:57   #1
OldLincoln

Does Glock Clean Before Shipping?

I recently received my first Glock (G30 SF) and it had been cleaned and lubed from the factory. I checked the LGS and they said they didn't clean it. My last new gun had been packed in heavy lube in a sealed heavy plastic bad like you might expect of overseas delivery, so this is new to me. It really was range ready from the store. So are they all like this?
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08   #2
ojabog

yes....my G26 & G30 were the same way. You should have the copper colored packing grease in the rails. That is all I had on mine. My opinion is that Glocks run just fine with light lubing.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08   #3
Bruce M

If you check the manual it will suggest that you clean it but leave the copper colored anti-seize substance on the gun and lubricate it prior to shooting it the first time. Some new ones I have opened seem to have more or less oil on them. My guess is that whatever is on there is more for inhibiting rust than for lubrication.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29   #4
guns54
toni

Both of mine were black in side,and a ton of oil.It took over 45 min to clean.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42   #5
1-2man
Part Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns54 View Post
Both of mine were black in side,and a ton of oil.It took over 45 min to clean.
Over 45 minutes???
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 13:19   #6
Photoman642

I usually clean a new gun before shooting it. I've never had a new Glock that was full of oil, just the copper stuff.
Photoman642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 13:33   #7
OldLincoln

I ran a patch through the barrel and lightly lubed a few spots, but it was all clean and the rails showed copper grease. Even the spots I lubed had a feel of a very light oil, like a rub with a used dry patch. I just wanted the first time to be "special".
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 20:43   #8
reelnative

mine came super kleen with the goldish color lube on the rails, took it to the range and poped 200rnds thru it took it home wiped down the burnt powder, cleaned the bore, did find blowby in the chamber that would not clean off, left the gold lube on the rails and buttoned her back up
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08   #9
125K9

No sir, they're not all like that. My last new G-19, a 3rd. gen. bought about two years ago, had NO copper grease on the rails and still had the residue from the couple of rounds fired at the factory. I've always cleaned/lubed new pistols to my standard before firing them so it wasn't a problem. But to answer your question, they're all a bit different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Vietnam Vet/SOG
Roll Tide!!
125K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:22   #10
freezetime

My new 19 wasnt very oily at all. A bit on the inside of the slide, but next to no oil on the slide rails. I did a very light cleaning and oiled the slide rails before I took it to the range today.
freezetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09   #11
BuzznRose

Bought several new Glocks, and have had several back and forth to Smyrna for service.

Every gun I got from Glock, even the ones i sent in dirty, were spotlessly clean, and lubed with the gold grease.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16   #12
lethal tupperwa

the "Gold grease" is an anti seize compound.

I let it wear off.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Last edited by lethal tupperwa; 11-01-2012 at 12:17..
lethal tupperwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23   #13
guns54
toni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2man View Post
Over 45 minutes???
Hi. the in side looked like S-----T. I dont know what the black stuff was,But it was hard to get out.I Have been around guns for over 50 years, and iam 73 now and have never seen a gun look like this new in the box. I didnt mind the oil, but i dont know what the black stuff was,Even in the mag well. Its good to go now. I say its mine but its for my grandson.Have a safe day.P.S. And Grease In the hole gun.

Last edited by guns54; 11-01-2012 at 12:28..
guns54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:30   #14
ghr1142

Cleaning a Glock

I have found that the Glock needs little or no cleaning only after 1000 rounds or so I do a detail strip and clean.. "That's Me !! New guns out of the box !! different story. Clean slide rails of that copper lube and that's it . just make sure that the 6 oiling spots are ok ..

gro1142
ghr1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:40   #15
TK-421

Mine looked just fine out of the box when I took it apart. I didn't notice any major amounts of oil or anything like that, just the copper lube that you're supposed to leave on there. So I just left it alone and put 150 rounds through it the first day at the range.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:37   #16
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
I recently received my first Glock (G30 SF) and it had been cleaned and lubed from the factory. I checked the LGS and they said they didn't clean it. My last new gun had been packed in heavy lube in a sealed heavy plastic bad like you might expect of overseas delivery, so this is new to me. It really was range ready from the store. So are they all like this?
What kind of gun came packed like that? I've never gotten one sealed up, in a plastic bag and the only oil has been very light, to prevent rust. I have bought military surplus guns with Cosmoline everywhere, but not a new manufacture.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 21:49   #17
TnShooter83

I've shot them right out of the box. And I've cleaned them before they were shot. Worked fine both ways. I'd still field strip it and at least inspect it before I shoot it. Never know what might be stuck in the barrel or inside.

All my new Glocks were clean from the factory. Someone must have a job of cleaning after test firing.

I all ways wanted to know if they just test the barrel and then install it in the pistol. Or if they actually test the pistol as a whole?
TnShooter83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 00:49   #18
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnShooter83 View Post
I've shot them right out of the box. And I've cleaned them before they were shot. Worked fine both ways. I'd still field strip it and at least inspect it before I shoot it. Never know what might be stuck in the barrel or inside.

All my new Glocks were clean from the factory. Someone must have a job of cleaning after test firing.

I all ways wanted to know if they just test the barrel and then install it in the pistol. Or if they actually test the pistol as a whole?
Every new gun that I have bought, has been fired and NOT cleaned. Even if proof isn't required, in the US, they have all been fired at least 1 time.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote