Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-31-2012, 22:28   #1
Sid Nitzerglobin

Recommended reading/viewing for a noob?

I shot a bit in my youth, but always w/ friends' guns or at summer camp. Before this past weekend it had been ~20 years since I had fired a gun so aside from basic safety I'm pretty much starting from ground zero. Issues w/ my hardware notwithstanding, I've really enjoyed shooting again and plan to shoot as much as I can afford but am a bit worried about reinforcing bad habits in technique I might have or develop on my own through repetition.

I was planning to hit up a basic handgun technique class prior to purchasing my own but that didn't work out (the one at the local public range is booked up for another month and sounds like it might be REALLY basic). I'm planning to hit up a two day CCW class towards the end of November. There are several advanced technique classes and tactical training options in the area that sound like they could be really interesting down the road.

In the meantime, does anyone have any recommended instructional reading or viewing for a beginner?
Sid Nitzerglobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 23:14   #2
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Yes.

If you own a hand-gun, the manual for starters.
Know the general rules for safe gun handling.

Outside of that, if you have a handgun a forum like this is a good place to start to get thoroughly confused about that gun.

There is a wide range of material out there. If you can get your hands on the materials for your class, read that too.
If you are in a spending mood, the Magpul Dynamics series of videos is pretty good viewing.

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 23:23   #3
FNFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Nitzerglobin View Post
I shot a bit in my youth, but always w/ friends' guns or at summer camp. Before this past weekend it had been ~20 years since I had fired a gun so aside from basic safety I'm pretty much starting from ground zero. Issues w/ my hardware notwithstanding, I've really enjoyed shooting again and plan to shoot as much as I can afford but am a bit worried about reinforcing bad habits in technique I might have or develop on my own through repetition.

I was planning to hit up a basic handgun technique class prior to purchasing my own but that didn't work out (the one at the local public range is booked up for another month and sounds like it might be REALLY basic). I'm planning to hit up a two day CCW class towards the end of November. There are several advanced technique classes and tactical training options in the area that sound like they could be really interesting down the road.

In the meantime, does anyone have any recommended instructional reading or viewing for a beginner?
There are some good articles at this site: http://www.usconcealedcarry.net/2012...-carry-primer/

Pay attention to what your class instructor and the various articles say about holster selection and weapon retention.

A good test for holsters is to unload your gun, put it in the holster, turn it upside down and shake it twice vigorously. If it comes out you shouldn't wear that holster anywhere except at the range or when you star in a movie.
FNFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33   #4
FrankZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
or when you star in a movie.
I have this happen to me all the time...
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44   #5
Bruce M

As suugested the manual can be alot of help and as long as one is willing to sort through some stuff there is actually a lot of knowleddge and information here on GT and most questions are answered quickly, if not always gently.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16   #6
JBS

Butch has some good reading if you have not found it yet.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?u=135
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:59   #7
plouffedaddy

Sure....

Grip (2 different styles, both work just fine):

Stance:

Reacting to a threat/movement:

Those should encompass the basics in addition to the safety aspect already brought up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer

Last edited by plouffedaddy; 11-01-2012 at 07:59..
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16   #8
Sid Nitzerglobin

Wow, great stuff guys! Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

I have definitely read the manual for my Glock (and several other pistols I was looking at purchasing ) and have the safety basics pretty well ingrained (actually a little bit OCD on the safety front) but it never hurts to reinforce stuff w/ re-reading.

The technique vids look like they are exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Thanks again!
Sid Nitzerglobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01   #9
MikeG36

If you're anywhere near Chesterland, you should swing by and visit the fine folks at Top Gun Supply. They will take great care of you and be able to help you find what you're looking for.
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:50   #10
skew12

good video's. thanks.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:53   #11
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Personally, I know of only one or two other Pistol Instructors who are this man's equal, and none who are better.

I honestly believe that, 'Fist-Fire' is the combat pistol technique of the future. (It's made a better pistol shooter out of me; and I was already more than decent with a handgun to begin with!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 22:55   #12
FNFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Personally, I know of only one or two other Pistol Instructors who are this man's equal, and none who are better.
<>
I honestly believe that, 'Fist-Fire' is the combat pistol technique of the future. (It's made a better pistol shooter out of me; and I was already more than decent with a handgun to begin with!)
Thanks for that! Mr. Middlebrook surely has the "competitive chops" to know what he's talking about.
FNFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 23:29   #13
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

You're welcome; but quite frankly, I haven't said anything about Middlebrooks that he's not 100% entitled to. It's the old story: I've used pistols for more than 40 years; I thought I was pretty good with one; and there was nobody out there who was going to teach me anything new that I hadn't already tried, at least, 10 times over; and, then, along comes Middlebrooks; and I suddenly discovered that - ohh, ohh - I still had more to learn.

I suspect I'll now use the Fist-Fire pistol presentation system for the rest of my life. It's just a better way to control the muzzle and point a pistol at the target. It's so logical and so compensatory for the common mistakes every pistol shooter sooner or later begins to make that I'm a little annoyed I didn't think of any of these things all by myself!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-01-2012 at 23:32..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06   #14
poodleplumber

corneredcat.com is not just for women. Excellent site.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote