Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:47   #1
CAcop

Suspenders

After spending 10 hours on my feet with my belt digging into my hips it is time to get suspenders for days like this.

What do you guys use?

Break away would be nice considering the way crowds can get on days like this.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:56   #2
Aux Bear

Send a message via ICQ to Aux Bear
I bought the breakway (Uncle Mikes) and it broke away just in common use. I lso found the straps were too narrow. I ended up at Lowes and bougth carpenters suspenders. Large padded in a t confiduration. I ran it to bet keepers with D rings. comfortable now.
Aux Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09   #3
The Gemini

www.orcacustom.com

These are the original and still the best.

I first saw the cops out west wearing them on "COPS". Talked my lodge into fronting the money to buy sets for every officer. This was about 10 years ago, and almost everyone is still using their original set.

You will love them!

II
Top Guns .357 Sig Club member #1971

It's definitely not "definately", and it definitely isn't "definitaly".
The Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 17:40   #4
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Yes, stick with Orca.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Blackhawk 2point harness. It's crap. Save the money and get the Orcas, or spend the cash and buy the Back Defenders if you need your suspenders concealed.
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:26   #5
phred119

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gemini View Post
www.orcacustom.com

These are the original and still the best.

I first saw the cops out west wearing them on "COPS". Talked my lodge into fronting the money to buy sets for every officer. This was about 10 years ago, and almost everyone is still using their original set.

You will love them!

II
Agreed. I bought some cheap ones on eBay. They worked ok, but the adjustability, and other features just weren't there. I ended up buying the Orca, and absolutely love them. I just wish I would have bought them first, and not wasted my money on the cheap ones.
phred119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:31   #6
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

http://www.backdefensesystems.com/

I worked with the guy in this video: http://www.backdefensesystems.com/category_s/42.htm
Old 11-01-2012, 22:20   #7
bccop

I wore suspenders on and off for the last several years. While I liked taking the weight off my hips I found it put some additional strain on my neck and wore an external vest to hide the suspenders.

About 3 months ago I was issued a Tactical Design Labs Comfort Panel to wear with my nylon duty belt and will never wear suspenders again. I don't feel any pain in my hips or lower back at all. I only wish I was able to get this sooner in my career.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 22:37   #8
Schaffer

I have the blackhawk rig. Been wearing it for a week or so now. Just took some time to get used to the changes I had to make in where my keepers went.
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24   #9
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcop761 View Post
Yep! These are well worth the money and a great product. I've been wearing mine since the academy and once you wear them for a week or so you forget they're even on. Allows you to wear your belt looser so it isn't cranked down. Very comfortable when worn over body armor. 100% concealable and integrates 4 keepers into the system. The main reason these work so well is the overbuilt materials and the transfer of the weight off your hips onto your shoulders. I can send ya some pics if interested otherwise the link will answer most questions.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

Last edited by SCSU74; 11-02-2012 at 09:25..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:52   #10
ditchdoc24

I've been wearing the Orcas for about 2 months now and love them. My agency issued me a POS Uncle Mike's belt that wouldn't stay tight so I tried the Orcas. I'm not hiking my belt and pants up every 5 minutes any more and the weight is off my hips so I feel like I can move better.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58   #11
old_pigpen
Huh? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Interceptor View Post
Whatever you do, stay away from the Blackhawk 2point harness. It's crap. Save the money and get the Orcas, or spend the cash and buy the Back Defenders if you need your suspenders concealed.
What don't you like about the Blackhawk harness? I'm asking, not arguing.
old_pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 16:27   #12
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Another vote for Orca.

I've heard good things about Back Defender, too.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 16:43   #13
Ohio Copper

Are the orcas compatible with leather belt keepers? Can I just hook my own d rings to them?

" I was wondering what would break first; your spirit or your body."

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 22:01   #14
x_out86

+1 on the Orca's. I have been wearing mine for about 5 years and cant say enough good things about them.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42   #15
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Are the orcas compatible with leather belt keepers? Can I just hook my own d rings to them?

I don't see any reason you could not, however since the suspenders are nylon, I don't think that the nylon keepers with leather belt look any better or worse than the nylon suspenders with leather belt.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:23   #16
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I don't see any reason you could not, however since the suspenders are nylon, I don't think that the nylon keepers with leather belt look any better or worse than the nylon suspenders with leather belt.
There's a solution to that! I'd wear it under my outer vest, maybe,

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 15:39   #17
ray9898

I improved my duty belt situation unknowingly when I bought the Shirt Lock belt. I purchased it as a replacement for my rubber Hidden Tailor belt to keep my shirt tucked in. What I found is the velcro that bonds to the pants and shirt works so well that the taught shirt prevents the pants and duty from riding down as far. It really helped the discomfort on a long day.

Last edited by ray9898; 11-05-2012 at 15:42..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 21:34   #18
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffer View Post
I have the blackhawk rig. Been wearing it for a week or so now. Just took some time to get used to the changes I had to make in where my keepers went.
You have this......

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....er=BH-44H0XXBK

.....? And you like it? I had mine for a year or more and never could stand it. For half the price the Orcas blow them away, but we're not allowed visible suspenders. Instead I just ditched them and went back to no support until I can get the Back Defenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_pigpen View Post
What don't you like about the Blackhawk harness? I'm asking, not arguing.
The 2 points aren't enough to properly balance the belt. If you have even a couple of ounces more on the front than the back, or vice versa, it tilts, unless you really tighten it. But then one of the points of the suspenders is to be able to comfortable loosen your belt to be gentler on your back. If you like your handcuffs up front, you better shuffle some weight to the back to balance it.

Also, the 2 points of contact are always directly underneath the center line of the shoulder, directly underneath the armpit. Some of us are built thicker, meaning the center line of our shoulders aren't exactly the center line of our body, meaning our keepers attached at the 3:30 and 8:30 rather than at 3 and 9. Again, making belt balance an issue. If you have even the slightest barrel chest, the harness will always be off balance. We noticed this with multiple officers. Skinny little bitty guys wore them fine. Anyone that wasn't anorexic had issues.

The fact that it comes and hooks up underneath your armpit was uncomfortable as well.

Then there are the side adjustments straps. They slipped at the drop of a hat. Any hat.

The cheap little square loops that attach the shoulder straps to the center piece always spun vertically, loosening things up. I ended up taking them off and replacing them with round key rings. For .50c I greatly improved the harness.

If I had the desire I could've modified the Blackhawks to work better, but I didn't pay $65 to have to do it myself.

Here is what I was talking about with the balance issues:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspenders diagram.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	228866

Yes, I know, my Paint skills leave much to be desired. But you get the idea.
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.

Last edited by S.O.Interceptor; 11-05-2012 at 21:35..
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:17   #19
x_out86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post

If your looking for leather, you can always go with a pair from Boston Leather.

Cop Talk

No personal experience with them, but they look like they are well made and would fit the bill.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 15:13   #20
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I have the Orcas and have fought to get them approved.

Now that we are going to Blauer everything, I'm gonna fight to get these approved.

http://www.blauer.com/law-enforcemen...ystem-174.html