GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2012, 18:36   #1
LiebeGlock

A penny for your thoughts on girl's shooting...

I am trying to gather some info on what you think it the best pointers to give female shooters. Is there any few thing(s) that really annoy you that they do or do not do?

For example, when I go into a shooting range it annoys me that girls are leaning so far back when shooting and their boyfriend isn't helping them out.

Or... I see the guy's letting the girls hold their guns is awful ways including... letting her shoot the gun with her thumb behind the slide!!!

What kind of experiences have you had?
LiebeGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 18:40   #2
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I was looking at a presentation about women and big guns.

Their advice was to "Not fight the recoil", go with it and reset the sights. Men try to stop the recoil through strength. Not necessary.

I know nothing more to help women except, confidence counts more than anything.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 20:11   #3
freedom790

In my experience taking females shooting, especially when it is their first time, they're often intimidated by the noise and the recoil. Good hearing protection goes a long way. Explaining safe handling is always a given, but also explaining what the gun will and won't do helps to relieve some of the intimidation factor. For example, I explain that the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled, will not jump out of their hand, will not hit them in the face, etc.

My biggest pet peeve is shooters, both male and female, that lean so far back when shooting pistols or hold the firearm like it's made of (insert random gross material here). If it's my student I will correct them on the spot. I'll usually end up explaining and demonstrating good form several times before the range session is complete, but once range session two comes around the shooter always has a good foundation to build on.

ETA: I just realized I am in the women's forum, I'm not a woman.

Last edited by freedom790; 11-01-2012 at 20:15..
freedom790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 22:26   #4
LilWolfess

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom790 View Post
In my experience taking females shooting, especially when it is their first time, they're often intimidated by the noise and the recoil. Good hearing protection goes a long way. Explaining safe handling is always a given, but also explaining what the gun will and won't do helps to relieve some of the intimidation factor. For example, I explain that the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled, will not jump out of their hand, will not hit them in the face, etc.

My biggest pet peeve is shooters, both male and female, that lean so far back when shooting pistols or hold the firearm like it's made of (insert random gross material here). If it's my student I will correct them on the spot. I'll usually end up explaining and demonstrating good form several times before the range session is complete, but once range session two comes around the shooter always has a good foundation to build on.

ETA: I just realized I am in the women's forum, I'm not a woman.
Well, you had good intentions. Unfortunately, you may be approaching the situation in a way might not help as much as you think you're helping.

Or, to put it bluntly,

"Be careful to not make an arse of yourself."

--You SHOULD NOT walk over and just start giving tips.--

Extremely unsafe gun handling etc would be an exception, however, you should refrain from criticizing or assisting a brand new female shooter for minor things when she isn't your student, or arrive in your company.

Do not try to help them just because the way they shoot, or their posture is annoying to you.

If you feel like a lady at the range really needs help, and her company (if present) isn't trying to help, you should start by introducing yourself to the group. If you're an instructor, or have really good shooting qualifications or verifiable experience, work that into the introduction.

If they haven't asked for tips or advice by now, and you still feel like you need to bestow some knowledge, you could try some ice-breaking questions such as:

"How long have you been shooting?"
"How do you like the gun you're using?"
"Is it comfortable for you stand like that?"

DO NOT end these sentences with anything that starts with "you should" or "you could" or "why don't you try..."

After some more talking and more shooting, if they still haven't asked for your advice, you might try progressing to this kinda stuff:

"Would you like to try something different (regarding stance, hands, etc.)".

Here's the part where you STOP to let them answer AND then LISTEN to what they are saying.

If they say "No" or "No thanks," or "maybe next time" then you need to walk away.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44   #5
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiebeGlock View Post
I am trying to gather some info on what you think it the best pointers to give female shooters. Is there any few thing(s) that really annoy you that they do or do not do?

For example, when I go into a shooting range it annoys me that girls are leaning so far back when shooting and their boyfriend isn't helping them out.

Or... I see the guy's letting the girls hold their guns is awful ways including... letting her shoot the gun with her thumb behind the slide!!!

What kind of experiences have you had?
I am a female NRA Instructor/RSO who teaches women and men and co-organize our club's monthly Women's Shooting Group and am the Event Director for our annual Ladies' Day - sponsored by Glock for the last 2 years and co-sponsored by Savage one of those years. If requested, I give additional personal (free) instruction to women on an ongoing basis at our range. Men rarely ask... hmmm...

If I had to pick a couple of problem areas; stance (primarily leaning back) would be on top, followed by grip and then true understanding of sight picture and aspects of trigger control.

BTW, a boyfriend or husband isn't always the best source of help - for all kinds of reasons - and it probably explains why women enjoy our Shooting Group and Ladies' (only) Day so much.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female shooters, girls, shooting, shooting experiences