Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2012, 19:15   #1
Fwdftw

I need a light.

So i was using a g2 in a VTAC mount. I wasn't satisfied. I planned on getting a HSP mount for it but.. the g2 isnt very fulfilling for me in the white light category. I thought about using a tlr-1 as well on the new 1913 style HSP mount. I do not have the money for a surefire scout light at all. My budget is around 100-150. Mount included. I was also looking at the Inforce WML. What ye say?
Fwdftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:36   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The single stage G2X, at 200 lumens, is 'enough light'.

A Fury, at 500, is far better than any of the others you listed.

I've spent a lot of time in the dark with a rifle and a light mounted.

Those are the two options I would choose, and I 'do' have a Scout.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:38   #3
Fwdftw

also thought about a drop in for my g2...
Old 11-01-2012, 21:49   #4
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i actually love my insight WL1-AA weaponslight. its a pistol light like the TLR or X-series but it uses AA batteries and is very bright. i have one on my glock now and will be getting another for an upcoming sbr build.
Old 11-01-2012, 22:38   #5
Jer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Send a message via AIM to Jer Send a message via MSN to Jer
I used to run Streamlight and Surefire but after trying out one of Greg McGee lights on the advice of a local LE buddy of mine, I will never go back. Greg is employed at Ball Aerospace and has some of the best bang for the buck lights you will find on the market. The M3-2I w/1,000 lumen option comes in at WELL under $100 shipped and the quality is on par with any of the big names at a fraction of the price.

Don't take my word for it, here's a video of him hammering nails into a board with not only the body but also the lens.

I tested it out next to a Surefire Fury right when they came out and the MTE w/1,000 lumen option was easily twice as bright in several tests to my eyes and those of several other people who were with me. Don't fall for some who rate there lights at much higher than reality just to market them as these appear to be pretty accurate to ratings as compared to Surefire. I also like that I can use 18650 rechargeable batteries on these in addition to the usual CR123 batteries. This is a good thing because this sucker is so bright you'll be turning it on all the time to amaze your friends.

Give it a shot and you'll be singing the praises of MTE just like me.

Tactical Commander - Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 23:23   #6
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwdftw View Post
http://www.lighthound.com/Solar-Forc...ts_p_4112.html

Just put one in my old Surefire 6P work light. They are awesome drop ins. Impact weapons makes very well machined simple mounts.

Last edited by bmoore; 11-01-2012 at 23:25..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 00:50   #7
JBUS
I'mHellaJelly!

Ran a 6P LED in a DD mount awhile ago. Worked great.

Saved up and now run a 600c w/clicky tailcap in a HSP.

Works perfect for me.

Last edited by JBUS; 11-02-2012 at 00:51..
JBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:12   #8
JBaird22

I second buying an LED drop in for your g2. That is the best bang for your buck option.

I have a white tint (and I mean white as In confused for an incandescent light white) drop in made by Lumens Factory that works well. If you want a lot of throw go with one of the bluer tint LEDs.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08   #9
mjkeat

I use a G2 in a Gear Sector mount. It's as simple as rotating my thumb to activate it.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:30   #10
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

I like an LED drop in but hate the G2..

Get a classic with a good tailcap and drop in an LED.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:35   #11
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post

I agree; the G2X and 6PX are both good lights at reasonable cost. If you're really on a budget I've had good experiences with the Streamlight Polytacs as well.

Black Rifle Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20   #12
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

I like my light at 12 o clock, haven't had any problems with my x300. It functions great in this location and with the grip I use my thumb naturally rest on the rocker. I haven't found a reason to look for anything different. FWIW I switched from a g2 mounted at 11 o clock and like the x300 a lot better
Old 11-02-2012, 12:05   #13
fuzzy03cls

Quote:
That's the route I went. G2 in a VTAC mount. I'm very pleased with the results.
Also have an X300 on another AR. Happy with that too.

Last edited by fuzzy03cls; 11-02-2012 at 12:07..
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:28   #14
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
So i was using a g2 in a VTAC mount. I wasn't satisfied. I planned on getting a HSP mount for it but.. the g2 isnt very fulfilling for me in the white light category. I thought about using a tlr-1 as well on the new 1913 style HSP mount. I do not have the money for a surefire scout light at all. My budget is around 100-150. Mount included. I was also looking at the Inforce WML. What ye say?
I am assuming that the issue is the lack of light, vice the mount? The V TAC light mount is pretty versatile. I put the LED drop in in my G2 and saw a significant difference in the amount of light. Perhaps just a perception due to a more uniform beam? Either way, you will have a better flashlight without consuming your entire budget.

Last edited by fasteddie565; 11-03-2012 at 07:30..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:04   #15
boomhower

I use a TLR-1S and love it. For my usage of house clearing it works excellent. Nice wide beam and not so bright it blinds the user. If your going to be using it outside where you need a lot of throw this isn't what you want.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05   #16
Fwdftw

Boomhower, I would like something that is kind of in between. Honestly dont see my self clearing rooms.. but hey, who knows. I have a TLR1-s On my M&p 9mm FS i have experimented with on the AR as well. Its ok i just dont like the activation on a rifle.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57   #17
Fwdftw

anyone that uses a tlr1 thought about the long gun kit for it? friend of mine has one laying around.. i could use the new thorntail mount with 1913 to get the light on up in the front and activate it with a pressure switch.

pics of a surefire mounted.
Black Rifle Forum
Old 11-03-2012, 13:06   #18
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
anyone that uses a tlr1 thought about the long gun kit for it? friend of mine has one laying around.. i could use the new thorntail mount with 1913 to get the light on up in the front and activate it with a pressure switch.

pics of a surefire mounted.
Black Rifle Forum
not a fan of tape switches, one more failure point. with an x300 you can just push in on the rocker instead of toggling it like the tlr. i have never had an issue with "throw" on mine, Ive shot out to 75 yds at night. For my uses I will never shoot further than that, even in daylight
Old 11-03-2012, 19:34   #19
Fwdftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post

with the fury you also have to do a double tap to get the 500 lumens. i want to just be able to go directly into a light not have to do a double tap or anything like that.
Old 11-03-2012, 22:41   #20
Walt_NC

The G2 on an offset was too bulky for my needs and obscured too much of my field of view - I mount mine high because I dislike forward grips. The Arms mounted lights that mount in line with the rail were at an awkward angle, requiring a pressure switch to use them. I hate pressure switches with a passion. The rail-mounted switches are exposed and so have a tendency to cause light ND's as your rifle gets banged around. This can be fixed by gluing the pressure switch in the space between the rails, but that still leaves the issue of the wire going to the tail cap. Major weak point. No matter how well you tape it down, the wire has a tendency to get snagged on everything. I can't remember how many wires I destroyed mounting/dismounting my truck and running around in the woods. It's for these reasons that I stick with a Surefire 300x. I mount mine on the 9 o'clock rail (right handed shooter). It's low profile, lightweight and and I can easily key it with my forward thumb without compromising my grip. Just my two cents.

Quote:
with the fury you also have to do a double tap to get the 500 lumens. i want to just be able to go directly into a light not have to do a double tap or anything like that.
The Fury 'tactical' model is single output meaning that it's all 500 lumens, all the time.
http://www.surefire.com/illumination...-tactical.html