SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:45   #1
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

4949 Shooter

I imagine he's a little busy, but has anyone heard from him or our other East Coast brothers?
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:24   #2
Officer X

Yesterday (Friday) was my first day off after working 15-16 hour days since Monday. Fri., Sat., and Sun are my RDOs and I offered to come in but was told to take a break. I was told I may get a call if they need to fill any gaps in patrol supervision but so far they've been okay. I'm waiting on a call back to work a road job now with one of the utility crews doing repair work.

I'm in western Ocean County and it's unbelievable the pictures I've seen of what's happened to the shore. Unlike Irene, we didn't suffer from flooding here this time but got hammered by wind damage. About 90% of the town was without power but it has been coming up little by little. My neighborhood is still down and it's frustrating looking through the woods to the other neighborhood behind us or driving a half mile north or east and seeing everything lit up, but that's minor compared to what others have had to endure. So we're still running the generator to power things up a few times a day and using stored water. The family has been over to the PD a few times so they could shower in the locker rooms and get out of the house for a bit.

The only damage to our home was a few shingles off the roof and some smaller trees down in the woods off to the side of the house, so again, we were fortunate.

After the storm, people went in mob mode. We had two gas stations running on generator to pump and after having several disturbances and near riots, had to start manning them to keep the peace. People also didn't like rationing for emergency and tree service and utility workers and we had to explain that if they ran out of gas for their crews, the clean up was going to take that much longer.

There was also curfews from traveling which people didn't really seem to care about until they were stopped and ticketed. No power for traffic signals and debris all over the roads and they still wanted to get out to sight see. It's pathetic that with 4-5 days notice to prepare and then 48 hours being told it going to hit us hard and people were still coming out because they had not bought gas or supplies...and then we were the bad guys telling them to get off the roads.

It's been something like I've never dealt with before and hopefully never again. Again, I don't have it as bad as entire towns east of here on the coast were basically washed away. The pictures of Mantoloking, Bay Head, Point Pleasant and Seaside Park (not the Heights), where I spent a lot of time are crushing.

More updates when I can.
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:54   #3
evilwill
Speaks Jive

Send a message via AIM to evilwill

We swung back in on day one of the storm. I worked 19 hours that day. After that, we were put on 12 hour tours. Between work, doing stuff around the house and trying to get gas, I've had maybe 1-2 hours of sleep a day. I have been in zombie auto pilot mode, I'm glad I didn't wrap my car around a tree on the way home from work.

We got sent out to Staten Island and it looked like New Orleans after Katrina. Even with all that, there are communities banding together to help each other out. We get jaded after a while but seeing the aftermath and the people who lost everything makes your heart go out to them.

Another group of guys got sent over to the Rockaways. The stories we heard from them were just disgusting; Rampant looting, robberies and burglaries. The precinct of concern was holding over a hundred jobs.

I'm grateful my family is ok and the great neighbors we have, who have been helping my wife and kids out while I'm at work. We have no power, with no real eta of when it will be restored. I'm sharing my generator with my neighbor and the guy across the street is sharing his gas with us. I'm very lucky to be in such a tight knit community.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -George Orwell
evilwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25   #4
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

Hang in there, guys. By all accounts, it will be a little while before things are back to normal. I hope all LE, fire and rescue personnel are safe and can get some rest through this.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30   #5
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Finally heard from a brother in Jersey last night, I guess I was concerned for nothing. It still sounds like a crazy situation down there, all the way around. Hope everyone is okay.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:33   #6
Ajon412

Well, wasn't that fun.... Managed to live thought another catastrophe. I'm in central Bergen County and faired pretty well compared to most. We got hit with high winds(50 mph + for several hours) and a little rain, unlike Irene when I got mostly water (6"). I lost a few shingles off the roof and just got my power back on this morning after loosing it on Monday night at 2100 hrs. I lucked out "big time" and located a generator on Monday morning before Sandy hit.

My HQ flooded with an estimated 4 feet of water destroying everything on the first floor. It took us 2 days just to get near it. I worked 4 / 12 hour shifts, enjoyed my first day off yesterday and spent my off duty hours looking for and securing gas for my generator and my neighbors.

Things are starting to normalize, but the gas situation is insane, worse then the gas lines from the late 1970's. You're getting the normal fist fights, but nothing more serious "YET". It's just a matter of time before someone takes the gas situation to the next level. All things considered, most people seem to be behaving themselves.

Thanks guys for your thoughts, concerns and prayers and lets keep them coming as there are some of our brothers and sisters out there that lost everything.
Ajon412 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46   #7
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

I don't think I posted for six weeks after Katrina. I imagine a lot of the guys in the Sandy area are going to be in the same boat.
Old 11-03-2012, 20:30   #8
m2hmghb

Just wanted to say hello. It's been hellish here and we weren't hit that bad. Makes me really feel for those in the bad areas. I'm in north western ocean and we have a lot of trees down, power lines down and so on. We just got power back at my house 90 mins ago. ATT and Sprint/virginmobile/tmobile towers went down on tuesday. We lost power monday. Cells didnt start coming back until thursday. Been through Irene, blizzards, all kinds of crap but never saw anything like this. Be safe out there guys, this sandy was a nasty little b****.

http://www.app.com/section/MULTIMEDI...allerycategory

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.

Last edited by m2hmghb; 11-03-2012 at 20:32..
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 23:14   #9
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

I also want to add - THANKS! I have family in NJ (mother in law, brother in law, wife's grandparents, etc). I keep reading/hearing stories of LE personnel going above and beyond the call of duty to take care of their constituents and their communities. They are lucky to have you watching over them. Stay safe.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40   #10
Patchman
Florist

Where I'm at, some blackouts continue. Power is being restored but some places have been out for a week already, and no one knows when everybody will be back on line. Tons of majestic old trees fell or were uprooted and locally, the destruction could have been worse. This storm brought to light some weaknesses in the infrastructure.

A lot of people lost significant property. Some lost loved ones.

Good luck and prayers to 4949 and everyone else involved.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 11-05-2012 at 05:51..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:51   #11
4949shooter

Sam and everyone,

Thanks for the concern. It's been busy. I just got power back in my house yesterday, but no computer. I am checking in from work.

I had to leave my family alone in a cold, dark house to go to work, but it's what we do. Like the other guys said, the situation here has been out of hand.

Prayers sent for our northeast brethren.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07   #12
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

If any NYC/NJ LE needs gas I'll run down with 2x five gallon containers for you to fill up. Only condition is I need the empties back in case you need another top up.

There are no lines where I am, and it's no big deal for me to make a trip down into NJ (NY may still have passenger quantity restrictions on crossing bridges/etc).

Was down in the NYC metro area yesterday - saw a line 60+ cars long, 40+ people waiting with cans, three police cars with five officers handling the traffic snarl and slow inching march to the pump.

-G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11   #13
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Have not heard from AngryBassetts since the storm. Hope he and his family are ok.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:17   #14
RussP

Everyone up and down the East Coast has been in our prayers!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36   #15
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

I'm kind of looking forward to hearing from all of the guys when they do come back and start posting. As usual, it seems the media has just about moved on.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44   #16
m2hmghb

My area didn't get hit that bad. When you consider no power for 6 days, no vehicles on the road from midnight monday for around 36 hours followed by a curfew from 7pm-7am you realize how bad the people who were hit bad got it. Places I went to as a kid are gone, places I used to fish are destroyed. I've just never seen anything like it.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:23   #17
ryanm

Is ChiefWPD still up there somewhere?
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 15:07   #18
Ducowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
....I had to leave my family alone in a cold, dark house to go to work, but it's what we do. Like the other guys said, the situation here has been out of hand.

Me too. When dispatch called all cars to immediate shelter around 830 I knew it was getting ugly. Pretty crap feeling reading the wife's frightened texts, unable to be there to comfort her and the little one while shingles ripped away and trees threatened the house.

Been out ever since policing the fuel situation. People are stealing generators - from homes. The lowness never ceases to amaze.

Still w.out power, told until the 12th. Unreal.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by Ducowti; 11-05-2012 at 15:09..
Ducowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 16:11   #19
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducowti View Post
Me too. When dispatch called all cars to immediate shelter around 830 I knew it was getting ugly. Pretty crap feeling reading the wife's frightened texts, unable to be there to comfort her and the little one while shingles ripped away and trees threatened the house.

Been out ever since policing the fuel situation. People are stealing generators - from homes. The lowness never ceases to amaze.

Disasters let you see how thin the veneer of civilization really is.

Hang in there. Every day seemed to be twice as good as the day before after Katrina. That's what kept me going.

If you have anywhere to take your wife and kid, do it. It will probably be longer than the 12th before you get power. I don't know anybody who got it sooner than predicted and I know a lot who got it a lot later.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36   #20
Hunca Munca
nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
Sam and everyone,

Thanks for the concern. It's been busy. I just got power back in my house yesterday, but no computer. I am checking in from work.

I had to leave my family alone in a cold, dark house to go to work, but it's what we do. Like the other guys said, the situation here has been out of hand.

Well you should have a nice Stat fleece to keep you warm!!
Old 11-06-2012, 18:02   #21
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducowti View Post

And people are taking advantage of those in need, including looters.

It's disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunca Munca View Post
Well you should have a nice Stat fleece to keep you warm!!
And a warm fleece it is!
Old 11-06-2012, 18:11   #22
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Thanks to all the East Coast coppers for everything you have done. It amazes me that anyone still wants to do an impossible job for the mostly ambivalent.

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote