SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:23   #1
Stevekozak
Returning video

Starter cycle?

It doesnt look like this forum gets much action, but I thought I would try anyways. I am looking to get started in motorcycling. I am taking a basic rider's course at the end of May. If all goes well with that, I intend to buy a bike and start riding. I will be looking for something used, in a cruiser style. I can't afford a Harley, so will be looking for an asian bike. What would you reccommend on engine size to start? Any particular models that you feel would be good for a beginner? I am 6"4 and 180 (yes, I know I will look funny on a bike!). Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05   #2
glock_collector

Hayabusa makes a great learning model. Otherwise the boss hog or v max are good choices too.
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23   #3
chrispens

What type of motorcycle do you want? I crotch rocket, a cruiser, an endro, a street bike that has a more upright riding position?

Posted using [URL=http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/]Outdoor Hub Campfire[/URL]
chrispens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 21:26   #4
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispens View Post
What type of motorcycle do you want? I crotch rocket, a cruiser, an endro, a street bike that has a more upright riding position?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Cruiser type, most likely. I like the styling of the Vulcan, Virago, Magna style bikes. I am just looking to have something that gets good gas milage to have fun riding around the hiways of Arizona.
Old 04-25-2013, 21:58   #5
cbird77

Check out the Yamaha line, never had issues with mine. The have a new stripped version that is sweet, can't think of name off hand but I believe it is 900cc...

Edit: it's called the Bolt

Last edited by cbird77; 04-25-2013 at 22:00..
cbird77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 23:38   #6
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

There are some good bargains to be found with the Honda Shadow 750, Marauder 800, and other middle weight engines. If it's your first bike, I definitely say don't buy new as you will drop it or damage it. You can even find some used Harley Sportster 883 for decent price if you shop around. Don't be afraid to buy the small Harley, you can always sell it later for pretty much the same price as long as you don't damage it.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:10   #7
WT

Buy a used motorcycle. You will trash it the first year or two.

If you survive and get some experience under your belt I suggest you look at a cruiser with controls forward. Your height comes into play so you don't want to be all crunched up on a sport bike all day.

A Triumph Rocket or a Harley soft tail.

Best of luck to ya'.

WT
"Senior citizen and very long time motorsickle rider"

Last edited by WT; 04-27-2013 at 07:13..
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15   #8
Smoker

Get what you like or want, not what a buddy tells you to get. Get the most of the rider ed course, you'll be glad you did.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:20   #9
wolf19r
Problem Solved!

Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
Check what fits you best controls, riding position, seat height etc... kinda like getting a gun. Honda is awesome!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-27-2013, 09:04   #10
Stevekozak
Returning video

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am planning to take the rider's course very seriously and get as much out of it as I can. I want to enjoy the freedom of a motorcycle but do not want to kill myself if at all possible. What I am wondering about, is how much bike is too much bike to start out with. I am currently thinking something like a 700-900 cc. I am looking for suggestions about that. I am sure I will have a better idea about everything after the rider's course, but am looking to get ahead of the curve in my knowledge.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:21   #11
WT

Oh, I forgot to mention ...

If you are already over 50 get yourself a young, nubile 20 something girlfriend. Less dangerous.

A 900 cc bike will certainly handle your weight but your height is what is going to control what you buy.

You are too tall for an 883 cc Harley Sportster. Same for the Triumph Bonneville. Even a BMW R1200RT might crimp your style.

My suggestion is to go around to various motorcycle dealerships and look at what they have. Ask permission to sit on the motorcycles.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:28   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am planning to take the rider's course very seriously and get as much out of it as I can. I want to enjoy the freedom of a motorcycle but do not want to kill myself if at all possible. What I am wondering about, is how much bike is too much bike to start out with. I am currently thinking something like a 700-900 cc. I am looking for suggestions about that. I am sure I will have a better idea about everything after the rider's course, but am looking to get ahead of the curve in my knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
There are some good bargains to be found with the Honda Shadow 750, Marauder 800, and other middle weight engines. If it's your first bike, I definitely say don't buy new as you will drop it or damage it. You can even find some used Harley Sportster 883 for decent price if you shop around. Don't be afraid to buy the small Harley, you can always sell it later for pretty much the same price as long as you don't damage it.
Listed some in my original reply:

But yeah, you got:

Harley 883 Sportster
Honda 750 Shadow (Aero)
Suzuki 800 Intruder
Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Yamaha Virago 750

All great cruisers in that engine displacement class.
Old 04-27-2013, 14:11   #13
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Listed some in my original reply:

But yeah, you got:

Harley 883 Sportster
Honda 750 Shadow (Aero)
Suzuki 800 Intruder
Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Yamaha Virago 750

All great cruisers in that engine displacement class.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen all of those bikes, and they are basically what I think I will be looking for. I think that WT is right that I need to go sit on some bikes to get an idea of what is going to work with my frame (although his suggestion of a 20-something nubile hottie would get me in some deep **** that the fastest of motorcycles would not get me out of!!). Unfortunately I don't have any friends that ride to help me out with the whole question. Of the bikes you have listed, do you know which would have the highest seat height and or most "leg reach" for the shifter and brake pedal?
Old 04-27-2013, 19:37   #14
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

The Sportster actually is not the best fit because the seat height is quite low and you have to get the seat switched out to the bigger one and get the forward mounted controls to get maximum space, along with drag bars, which is what I did with my 1200 Custom.

I think the bike that looks big for its size is like the Yamaha line of Star cruisers. Their midsize cruisers look full size and my buddy who is a big dude looks like he fits on his midsize machine just fine.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:02   #15
kmrcstintn

I have a 2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Classic; it is a medium-sized frame cruiser that is very comfortable to ride and easy to balance and control...I am smaller in stature than you (5' 9 1/2" & 190 lbs), but often see larger guys riding V Stars with ease; the 650's are easy to find and priced pretty well since there are lots of these around that are traded in on larger models
kmrcstintn is offline   Reply With Quote