Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2012, 14:30   #1
DannyR

Piru, CA 2012 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Please post your stories and photos here.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:21   #2
DannyR

Wow, power must be out on the left coast.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:58   #3
MotoGlock

I was there yesterday. My first GSSF event. Sorry I didn't take pictures.
MotoGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 00:22   #4
PM720

I was there all weekend. Worked 5toGlock yesterday and M today. I did manage to shoot my 5 today but wish I had shot at least 2 yesterday. The wind came up today and there was a lot of dust in the air. I also have a bunch of bites from these little damn bugs! Itching like mad right now! not super happy with my shooting overall but did OK on plates. Broke into the 3's for the first time with a 3.93 string but killed the division with a 6.xx and 7.xx string. I had mikes in Civ, Comp and MajSub. Here's the bad news-

AmCiv- 119.49
Comp- 104.76
Sub- 106.10
HM- 115.48
MajSub- 92.60

Meh!

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:30   #5
emtjr928

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
I was there all weekend. Worked 5toGlock yesterday and M today. I did manage to shoot my 5 today but wish I had shot at least 2 yesterday. The wind came up today and there was a lot of dust in the air. I also have a bunch of bites from these little damn bugs! Itching like mad right now! not super happy with my shooting overall but did OK on plates. Broke into the 3's for the first time with a 3.93 string but killed the division with a 6.xx and 7.xx string. I had mikes in Civ, Comp and MajSub. Here's the bad news-

AmCiv- 119.49
Comp- 104.76
Sub- 106.10
HM- 115.48
MajSub- 92.60

Meh!

Scott
I see some dust got on your"magic" glasses!:eek:

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-05-2012, 13:07   #6
1RoundEye

I was there both days (Satuday as a shooter, and Sunday as an RO). Overall the match was awesome, and broke last years record with a total of 342 entries.

I shot my 5 divisions on Saturday (arrived around 9AM and left around 2:30PM). COF sign-in was a cluster. There was a sign in sheet, but not a tree, no squading, and there was no consistency with the checking off of names on the sign-in sheet. I got some negativity regarding shooting my 5 from both ROs (not all, but some), and other shooters. The ROs would generally let me shoot 2 , and then send 3/4 shooters in betweeen my next set of 2. The plates didn't have a sign-in sheet at all, you would just show up with your forms, and get in line. They'd let you run three at a time, and then it was back of the line for you.

I wasn't super happy with my scores, but I made a little bit of improvement in AMCiv over Tucson which I shot the week before.

AmCiv: 113.14 (1M on 52GLOCK)
Sub Compact: 147.23 (1M on 52GLOCK, and left 2 plates standing)
Comp: 122.56 (No Mikes, but lots of Ds on 52GLOCK)
Heavy Metal: 128.52 (Again, a fair amount of Ds)
Major Sub: 95.69 (2 plates left standing, surprised it wasn't over 100.)

I RO'd the M stage on Sunday, and was running stage sign-up for the first couple of hours. I did my best to make a tree on my clipboard and squad with the three RO's we had working it. I later did scoring and ran the timer. They were pretty good about rotating people through the duties and out for lunch (30 minutes). I had the privilege of running Frank Bray, Logan Fowler (Mickey Fowler's son), and seeing Taran Butler.

I don't know if it was the time change or what, but it was a whirlwind weekend for me, and I'm wiped...

Last edited by 1RoundEye; 11-05-2012 at 13:11..
1RoundEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:49   #7
emtjr928

1RoundEye, Who was the GSSF Rangemaster, if you remember?
emtjr928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:59   #8
1RoundEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjr928 View Post
1RoundEye, Who was the GSSF Rangemaster, if you remember?
I believe his name was Mark, and he and Cindy were the only representatives from GSSF on location. Although, he was the ultimate decision maker when it came to interpretation of the rules (reshoots, etc..) it appeared that the actual running of the match was left in the hands of ISI which was the hosting club.

Don't get me wrong, my post was not meant to be a dig in anyway, as I love ISI and I shoot IDPA matches there twice a month, it was more just my observations from both sides of the clipboard.

Old 11-05-2012, 14:40   #9
PM720

Yes, Mark was the MD. And I had the same "put out" look when I showed up to 5toG with my 5 entries on Sunday. And this was from the guys I worked with on Saturday! I told the one guy I was planning to shoot all 7 next year! Everywhere else ran prety smooth. I blazed through the plates but that stage is always fast. M was smooth as well. Just like every match the bottleneck was 5toG. I think it is just the number and range of the targets. This was one of the 25 yard setups. In the best of situations 5 is slow but when you are not following the prescribed GSSF procedures I think it makes it slower. JMHO. As Roundeye noted, they were not giving preference to the early signin's. I showed up around 10-10:30 and asked for the guy to check me in and he said "we're not doing that" and I mentioned that Mike Dalton wanted me to finish up and get back to the other M stage and he asked me to come back in an hour. I went back after 1 o'clock and they got me up pretty quick and let me shoot all 5 in a row even though I said I had no issues with putting a shooter in the middle. I actually would have preferred a break switching from the G22 to the G30. Regardless, I think overall the match went well and even though I am still tired and sunburnt and have these damn bug bites all over my arms I had a great time working and shooting. Like Roundeye said, the ISI people are great and I have had a great time shooting there.
Old 11-05-2012, 15:06   #10
emtjr928

Not fishing for a problem

Scott,
Glad you and 1RoundEye had a good shoot, except for the bug bites. I'm just always interested in seeing how consistent or inconsistent different matches are administered. I do believe that when followed, the procedures as outlined by GSSF do make for a smoother running match.
Since our match At Griffin draws 800+ entries, I have been making notes on ideas for stage setups, traffic flow, squadding and all the other things that can go toward having the best match possible for the shooters.
Stay safe.
Ed
emtjr928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 15:40   #11
1RoundEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjr928 View Post
Scott,
Glad you and 1RoundEye had a good shoot, except for the bug bites. I'm just always interested in seeing how consistent or inconsistent different matches are administered. I do believe that when followed, the procedures as outlined by GSSF do make for a smoother running match.
Since our match At Griffin draws 800+ entries, I have been making notes on ideas for stage setups, traffic flow, squadding and all the other things that can go toward having the best match possible for the shooters.
Stay safe.
Ed
Ed,

That's awesome that you're taking the time to figure out what works to make it the best for your participants. I applaud you!

1.) The big thing is make sure that all ROs are familiar with the course of fire, and have preferably read the manual, and have participated in at least one GSSF event previously if not more.

2.) Put your most experienced ROs at each stage in charge of sign-up / check-in. Make sure they adhere to the tree/squading procedure as much as possible. Now, it can be very busy working the table, so if you can afford to have more then one RO there do it. I personally enjoy working the table as you get to speak with all the shooters, answer questions, sand provide insight (if you have any).

Old 11-05-2012, 16:16   #12
SARDG

I've said this before; GSSF doesn't like to micro-manage, but it sounds like the club could have used some guidance. I pretty much know every rule there is, but don't hesitate to seek out the GSSF RM if there is a ruling OR procedure method to be addressed (like stinky squadding.) I specifically sought out Mark a couple of times in Mobile (about equipment), but also bent his ear with comments and questions in between those times. Hard to know now, after the fact, why the squadding procedures weren't adhered to in Piru.

I really hate to say it, but I have pretty much given up on addressing GSSF venue ROs en masse - but I attend the RO briefings and DO NOT HESITATE to add anything that may have been missed by the GSSF RM. Some of the GSSF RMs get fed up with all my comments, some tolerate it pretty well - but if something is missed, I am going to bring it up! It is now up to the experienced ROs who know the rules and procedures, to make a difference - one match at a time - and put that knowledge into the pipeline across the system so that it eventually drains out the other side.

Unfortunately, if GSSF used the criteria of the volunteer ROs having GSSF experience (or even RO experience of ANY kind) they wouldn't have enough to run the matches.

BTW, there are MANY decisions that the CROs at the line are authorized to make themselves - reshoots being just one of them. The only time RM intervention would be needed for a reshoot determination is if, as a shooter, the RO wouldn't give you a reshoot - which is always authorized.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 18:08   #13
PM720

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGlock View Post
I was there yesterday. My first GSSF event. Sorry I didn't take pictures.
Yeah, I didn't take any pics either. Just too busy I guess. How did you like it? Don't pay any attention to our grousing here. The idea is for YOU to have a great time shooting!