Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:23   #1
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Man, how times have changed...

I've been meaning to post this for a week or so, just haven't had time. Just kept forgetting, and for some reason, I remembered this morning.. .. This is kinda long, so bear with me... I was pretty impressed.

About a week ago, I finished moving after we sold our old place, and had to switch from Brighthouse, to Xfinity. I called Xfinity about 2 weeks before our move, discussed setup options, etc.. They sent me their self install kit (the digital cable box, and some other stuff), and told me I could go buy a modem, or they could lease me one for $10 a month. I went to Best Buy, and bought the modem for $50, as that seemed like a no-brainer. They assured me the services at the new address would be "on" when I got there and I could set everything up.

Now back a long time ago (when I bought my own high speed modem), I had to call my provider, and give them the MAC address, and all kinds of other crap and it was a headache getting their service to work w/ my modem (despite them telling me the modem was "compatible").

Fast forward to last week... I start w/ the instructions on the self install kit, which says to hook everything up (tv box, cable modem, etc.). As soon as I plug the cable modem in, and let it boot up, after about 2min, I notice all the lights are on, indicating it was online. "Impossible!" I thought. So I ran an ethernet cable to my laptop from the modem, and sure enough, it was online, but it only had access to some sort of intranet for Xfinity. I plugged in my account information, and it showed a summary of services I had ordered, and I chose to activate my TV and Internet service.

As soon as I hit activate, my TV immediately shut off, and the modem rebooted. After the modem completed it's boot up, the page refreshed, told me my Internet service was ready to be used, but it would take approx. 20-30min before my TV service would be available. About 25min later, my TV was working along w/ the packages I had ordered.

I don't know why (I shouldn't be surprised) but this struck me as pretty incredible, especially what I went through last time I bought a modem w/ Comcast. Only real "problem" I had, was getting my wireless router to co-operate with the modem, but thankfully a few of you guys gave me a hand w/ that.

Anyway, I just thought this was all pretty interesting, maybe I'm just behind in the times..
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 10-22-2012 at 05:28..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 23:36   #2
JuneyBooney

That is how it is supposed to work. Comcast does not normally work like that..they normally have problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 00:58   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I have comcast. Guy came to the house. Installed the outside hardware. ran an installation disc. less then an hour and he was out of here and I had full Internet service. No problems since. My neighbors had the same experience with them.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 14:46   #4
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Good to here using your own modem is somewhat better these days. Last time I tried it, it was a nightmare. My current company doesn't give me the option, but they don't charge me for the modem either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-24-2012, 13:31   #5
zodiacbw

Doing a trial on ATTs U-verse service. Not going nearly as smoothly and I'm none impressed with the speed which is slower than my dsl service. Supposedly they're working on it.

I hear comcast is just as bad in my area sadly.
Old 11-03-2012, 14:35   #6
di11igaf
ibew

Yup, I remember doing the same with Comcast years ago, adding a modem.(back when WiFi was pretty uncommon in a household) Had to call to make sure if it was compatible, then you had to pay to have an extra access point if you were using two modems. It was a pain.
I've had FiOS for the last few years, and its been excellent so far, I haven't tried to add my own hardware yet, so not sure how big of a hassle it could be

Last edited by di11igaf; 11-03-2012 at 14:35..
di11igaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:15   #7
Ralff

I remember first getting a broadband connection. I put a router on it so anyone coming to my place could just plug in a network cable and have internet as long as they had DHCP selected. Pretty much the same way everyone in the whole world connects nowdays. People were so amazed by the fact that they didn't have to dial in for internet at my place. I was praised as a genius, for doing something so stupidly simple.

Those were the days.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote