GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:45   #1
Osborne
NRA Member
 
Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paintsville, KY
Posts: 1,102
Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Optic and BUIS fitting on rail?

If any of you remember, I'm the one who started up a thread a couple weeks back deciding between the Stag Arms Model 1 and Model 2. And you all persuaded me into ordering the Colt LE 6920. Well it's going to be coming in Tuesday.


My questions is what is the length of the picatinny rail? I'm still trying to decide between an Eotech or an aimpoint I'm just really liking the field of view on the Eotechs and I believe with the Eotech 517 I can get a 1/3 co-witness. Problem is I don't know if it will fit along with a magpul buis. The eotech 517 has the buttons on the side so the buis can fit snuggly, the length of it is 5.6" and the magpul buis length is 2.8".


Of course this is all going to have to wait awhile to save up enough money for the optics, I just like having everything planned ahead.


Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I'm learning slowly but surely.
__________________
Sent from my iPhone
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:53   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,936
Both a BUIS & an EoTech or Aimpoint will fit on the receiver rail
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Both a BUIS & an EoTech or Aimpoint will fit on the receiver rail

This, and with room to spare.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57   #4
ratf51
Senior Member
 
ratf51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW GA
Posts: 1,021
I had a 517 and a Magpul Gen1 BUS on just the receiver top rail. With the raised base of the 517 the front of the sight can extend over the handguard very easily. Good choice.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:39   #5
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Ruggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratf51 View Post
I had a 517 and a Magpul Gen1 BUS on just the receiver top rail. With the raised base of the 517 the front of the sight can extend over the handguard very easily. Good choice.
Same thing here. Plenty of room.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41   #6
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog
 
MrMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Buried in the X-files
Posts: 31,642
I'd advise an Aimpoint, but any Eotech will fit with BUIS on any standard receiver rail.
__________________
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29   #7
Osborne
NRA Member
 
Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paintsville, KY
Posts: 1,102
Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Thanks everyone! I'm still deciding between Eotech and Aimpoint so that's not really final yet, it's just if I do get an Eotech it will be the 517. I have plenty of time to decide.
__________________
Sent from my iPhone
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29   #8
Osborne
NRA Member
 
Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paintsville, KY
Posts: 1,102
Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratf51 View Post
I had a 517 and a Magpul Gen1 BUS on just the receiver top rail. With the raised base of the 517 the front of the sight can extend over the handguard very easily. Good choice.

How good was the co-witness to the front sight post?
__________________
Sent from my iPhone
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41   #9
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,672
OP, your avatar looks suspiciously like Jay's in Panama City...

If you're dead set on an EO Tech, the 517 is one of the last units I would buy. The XPS series is a MASSIVE improvement over the older style EO Tech optics, and some of the base model XPS series can be had for around $450-500.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09   #10
Osborne
NRA Member
 
Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paintsville, KY
Posts: 1,102
Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
OP, your avatar looks suspiciously like Jay's in Panama City...

If you're dead set on an EO Tech, the 517 is one of the last units I would buy. The XPS series is a MASSIVE improvement over the older style EO Tech optics, and some of the base model XPS series can be had for around $450-500.


Haha, that's because it is and that's a Glock 18 in the picture. You from around there?


What's the reasoning why? The main reason on the Eotech that I like the 517 is it takes double a's.
__________________
Sent from my iPhone
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02   #11
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDO View Post
Haha, that's because it is and that's a Glock 18 in the picture. You from around there?
I am, but I don't head into Panama City that often. Plus, I'm not really a big fan of them any more. I even stopped using their ranges, even though I just renewed my membership in August.

Quote:
What's the reasoning why? The main reason on the Eotech that I like the 517 is it takes double a's.
Part of the problem is the battery choice, actually. A lot of AAs were failing due to heat, recoil, or combination thereof in deployed locations. Plus, the battery contacts were not able to hold good contact with the battery, and the sights were prone to cutting off when the recoil forced the battery too far back inside the compartment. I also seem to remember that the AA models were prone to killing the batteries more quickly unless you used more expensive lithium batteries, which negated the advantage of AAs being cheap.

The XPS series uses a transverse (ie: sideways) mounted 123A battery, so no more issues with weak battery contacts causing them to cut off. Plus, 123As offer steadier power than most AA lights, and they're still relatively cheap and easy to find. Almost any decent gun store will sell 12 packs of them, and even Lowes sells 2-packs of Surefire brand 123a's for under $5 a pair.

Either way, even the XPS series isn't going to give anywhere near the battery life of an Aimpoint, and the pre-XPS models definitely won't give you the durability.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:19   #12
Osborne
NRA Member
 
Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paintsville, KY
Posts: 1,102
Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I am, but I don't head into Panama City that often. Plus, I'm not really a big fan of them any more. I even stopped using their ranges, even though I just renewed my membership in August.



Part of the problem is the battery choice, actually. A lot of AAs were failing due to heat, recoil, or combination thereof in deployed locations. Plus, the battery contacts were not able to hold good contact with the battery, and the sights were prone to cutting off when the recoil forced the battery too far back inside the compartment. I also seem to remember that the AA models were prone to killing the batteries more quickly unless you used more expensive lithium batteries, which negated the advantage of AAs being cheap.

The XPS series uses a transverse (ie: sideways) mounted 123A battery, so no more issues with weak battery contacts causing them to cut off. Plus, 123As offer steadier power than most AA lights, and they're still relatively cheap and easy to find. Almost any decent gun store will sell 12 packs of them, and even Lowes sells 2-packs of Surefire brand 123a's for under $5 a pair.

Either way, even the XPS series isn't going to give anywhere near the battery life of an Aimpoint, and the pre-XPS models definitely won't give you the durability.


I'm from Paintsville, Kentucky but I'm down in PCB a lot I have family there that I stay with months at a time during my school breaks, summer, and winter etc. I dont think I'm going to go down this winter.
They were REALLY expensive I just went to look around, turned out it cost $50 per 25 rounds (Thats not even a full happy stick!!!!) for the Glock 18 so I just ended up fondling it for free. They seemed like really nice folks though, and extremely helpful.

I'm kinda leaning into Aimpoint then I guess, The main reason I wanted the Eotech 517 is I would of hated to track those odd batteries down but like you said they aren't hard to find apparently, I just figured AA would be more convenient at the downside of the sight being bulkier.
__________________
Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by Osborne; 11-04-2012 at 11:22..
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:23   #13
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDO View Post
I'm from Paintsville, Kentucky but I'm down in PCB a lot I have family there that I stay with months at a time during my school breaks, summer, and winter etc. I dont think I'm going to go down this winter though.
They were REALLY expensive I just went to look around, turned out it cost $50 per 25 rounds (Thats not even a full happy stick!!!!) for the Glock 18 so I just ended up fondling it for free. They seemed like really nice folks though, and extremely helpful.

I'm kinda leaning into Aimpoint then I guess, The main reason I wanted the Eotech 517 is I would of hated to track those odd batteries down but like you said they aren't hard to find apparently, I just figured AA would be more convenient at the downside of the sight being bulkier.
Amazon for online purchases of the battery for the M2/3/PRO, or Batteries Plus (and probably many other specialty battery and camera shops) for local locations. I will happily pay $4 for a battery that lasts well over a year in my Aimpoint. I usually buy them in pairs - one fresh one in the optic, and a fresh spare in the sealed compartment in my LaRue mount.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26   #14
Osborne
NRA Member
 
Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paintsville, KY
Posts: 1,102
Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Amazon for online purchases of the battery for the M2/3/PRO, or Batteries Plus (and probably many other specialty battery and camera shops) for local locations. I will happily pay $4 for a battery that lasts well over a year in my Aimpoint. I usually buy them in pairs - one fresh one in the optic, and a fresh spare in the sealed compartment in my LaRue mount.

I read on here in my last thread that the Aimpoint Pro has a 3 year battery life, I don't know if I'll get the Pro, I tried looking last night at Aimpoints sights but the site was struggling I'll check again in a bit.
__________________
Sent from my iPhone
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:30   #15
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDO View Post
I read on here in my last thread that the Aimpoint Pro has a 3 year battery life, I don't know if I'll get the Pro, I tried looking last night at Aimpoints sights but the site was struggling I'll check again in a bit.
That's about right. I think it's roughly 15 months for the M2, 4 years for the M3, 3 years on the PRO, 5 years for the Micro, and 8-9 years for the M4.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:34   #16
Osborne
NRA Member
 
Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paintsville, KY
Posts: 1,102
Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
I'm liking the Aimpoint CompM4's but don't think I'll be able to afford the price tag
__________________
Sent from my iPhone
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 13:17   #17
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,936
I've been running a M2 I bought used for the last six years
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 13:22   #18
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDO View Post
I'm liking the Aimpoint CompM4's but don't think I'll be able to afford the price tag
I don't like the weight of them. Like many things, if you hunt around (and willing to buy used) you can get some good deals on optics.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 15:30   #19
ratf51
Senior Member
 
ratf51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW GA
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDO View Post
How good was the co-witness to the front sight post?
Co-witness was in the lower third of the window. The nice thing about the Eotech is that it is a holographic sight-- very forgiving of head position. So long as you see the circle and dot then the dot is pointing to where the bullet will go. It is not dependent upon an absolute in-line view as with irons. When I was simply relying on the Eotech for sight picture the iron sights were unobtrusive to me. Of course the MBUS stayed down as a general rule, when I would pop it up and use irons then the Eotech dot sat right on top of the front sight post.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 16:18   #20
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
That's about right. I think it's roughly 15 months for the M2, 4 years for the M3, 3 years on the PRO, 5 years for the Micro, and 8-9 years for the M4.
Plank, while we are talking about Aimpoints and batteries, what is the average shelf life of Aimpoint batteries?
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 16:26   #21
Osborne
NRA Member
 
Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paintsville, KY
Posts: 1,102
Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
Plank, while we are talking about Aimpoints and batteries, what is the average shelf life of Aimpoint batteries?

Thats another thing I was kinda wondering earlier.
__________________
Sent from my iPhone
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 16:26   #22
Osborne
NRA Member
 
Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paintsville, KY
Posts: 1,102
Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratf51 View Post
Co-witness was in the lower third of the window. The nice thing about the Eotech is that it is a holographic sight-- very forgiving of head position. So long as you see the circle and dot then the dot is pointing to where the bullet will go. It is not dependent upon an absolute in-line view as with irons. When I was simply relying on the Eotech for sight picture the iron sights were unobtrusive to me. Of course the MBUS stayed down as a general rule, when I would pop it up and use irons then the Eotech dot sat right on top of the front sight post.

Awesome, thanks alot.
__________________
Sent from my iPhone
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 17:14   #23
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,408
Love my EXPS2! I have tons of CR123 batteries anyway for lights.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-04-2012 at 17:14..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 17:25   #24
ratf51
Senior Member
 
ratf51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW GA
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Love my EXPS2! I have tons of CR123 batteries anyway for lights.
Though not as commonly available as AAs, CR123s are becoming more available. They are easier to find now than they were 6 years ago when I got my first CR123 powered light. So don't let the battery type deter you.

Last edited by ratf51; 11-04-2012 at 17:29..
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:03.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 916
257 Members
659 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42