SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-07-2012, 17:18   #21
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Awesome videos. I have to say that I already know that instructional content . It is vitually the same as the NRA instruction. But it is great to see and think about how well I am, or am not, applying those fundamentals

So yes, I believe it does help to watch these videos.

I found my few seconds of fame. I was looking around YouTube for some SAFS videos and I found myself riding on one of the trailers in the beginning SAFS trailer.

This was before I lost 50 lbs.

smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 17:21   #22
RICKSR

Dude. You need to Match the bullet weight to the twist rate in order to get and obtain the best accuracy from this rifle. It also needs to be broken in properly if you want it to shoot it's best. Read up on breaking in a new rifle/barrel. I would personally recommend 68/69 & 70 gr bullets for best if not maybe even the 77 Gr will be best. You have to experiment and try all kinds of loads & bullets,powders etc before you can really find out what your gun likes. You have to do your homework or you'll never really know. I have an original Colt H-Bar with a 1-7 twist. It likes nothing better than the heavier bullets,68-69 etc gr.s and believe it or not at the time i got best results using Winchester 748 ball powder. So good luck and give it hell. Regards,Rick Sr.
RICKSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 18:57   #23
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post
I found my few seconds of fame. I was looking around YouTube for some SAFS videos and I found myself riding on one of the trailers in the beginning SAFS trailer.

This was before I lost 50 lbs.

CMP SAFS 2010 trailer - YouTube
White shirt and hat, dark pants, dark scruff on your chin?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:00   #24
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKSR View Post
Dude. You need to Match the bullet weight to the twist rate in order to get and obtain the best accuracy from this rifle. It also needs to be broken in properly if you want it to shoot it's best. Read up on breaking in a new rifle/barrel. I would personally recommend 68/69 & 70 gr bullets for best if not maybe even the 77 Gr will be best. You have to experiment and try all kinds of loads & bullets,powders etc before you can really find out what your gun likes. You have to do your homework or you'll never really know. I have an original Colt H-Bar with a 1-7 twist. It likes nothing better than the heavier bullets,68-69 etc gr.s and believe it or not at the time i got best results using Winchester 748 ball powder. So good luck and give it hell. Regards,Rick Sr.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I ordered a scope mount so I can test the gun out. Without a scope, I could shoot .204 Ruger through it and not notice a difference in my shots
Old 11-07-2012, 19:07   #25
ithaca_deerslayer

What scope should I put on this rifle?
Old 11-07-2012, 19:20   #26
Brian Brazier

I want another 20" I had one a few years ago but had to sell it.
Old 11-08-2012, 18:50   #27
smokin762

Quote:
White shirt and hat, dark pants, dark scruff on your chin?
No. I was a different guy.
Old 11-14-2012, 21:24   #28
ithaca_deerslayer

Here it is with a Rock River 1 piece scope mount and Leupold AR 3-9x40mm

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 11-14-2012 at 21:48..
Old 11-14-2012, 21:38   #29
ithaca_deerslayer

I also got some screw in apertures from Bushmaster, which are threaded the same.

Rock River has two hooded choices, the .030" that came with mine and is too small for me to see well out of, and a .040". With either of those, you can't use the 2nd larger aperture that is there and would flip up but is blocked by the match hood.

The hooded aperture screws out, and can be replaced by a RR different size, or a Busmaster. The nice thing (for my purpose) about the Bushmaster ones is they come in either hooded or flush like a button. With the flush one screwed into the threaded aperture hole, you can also flip up and use the second much larger stock aperture that comes with the RR national match sight. I ordered a .040 and .052 and liked the .052 so have that currently screwed into my carry handle sight. I don't know what the large hole aperture is, but I'm guessing something like .125 or maybe .200

Anyone know what size the apertures typically are on an M-16?

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 11-15-2012 at 17:00..
Old 11-14-2012, 21:46   #30
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Anyone know what size the apertures typically are on an M-16?
You are a more dedicated shooter than I am. I got an A2 upper receiver with a NM rear sight and an A1 upper receiver with an A1 aperture and I replaced them both with A2 apertures. I couldn't allow myself to "try something new." They were just too small for my comfort.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:47   #31
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

All you ever wanted to know about the standard A2 sight here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/497571_.html

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02   #32
joe0121

When I was in the Marine Corps I put four dots on the rear site to act as a reference point for aligning the front site post. Now a days Troy makes a rear site with the same idea. I suppose it hind sight it is not possible to have placed those four dots exactly correct without cant.
But I qualed Expert all three times I went. And Only missed twice from 500 yards (both in boot camp) My problem came at the 200 standing a few times as the front site transitioned off target I couldn't keep the trigger pressed and held at the same spot and I would flinch or something and send a not so well aim shot exactly 6 inches low.

Trigger control on the Ancient M-16 A2's was a difficult proposition at best. Seems like the weapons I was issued had trigger made out of sand paper. I got out in '07 and I understand the new A4's have much better triggers.

Back then they taught us to center the front site on the target but I always used the lolipop method anyways. Hard to focus on a black front site against a black target.
Old 11-15-2012, 15:15   #33
smokin762

Quote:
Here it is with a Rock River 1 piece scope mount and Leupold AR 3-9x40mm

Black Rifle Forum

Very nice.
Old 11-15-2012, 16:54   #34
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
Back then they taught us to center the front site on the target but I always used the lolipop method anyways. Hard to focus on a black front site against a black target.
Thanks, that's good info.

I like the white dot idea, too.
Old 11-15-2012, 17:02   #35
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
All you ever wanted to know about the standard A2 sight here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/497571_.html
Great information on the military sights.

.070 = small
.200 = large
Old 11-19-2012, 17:01   #36
ithaca_deerslayer

Getting better with it, got a couple groups under an inch.

Next time I bench it I'll sandbag it front and back. Here's some targets just resting the front. Feel like I'm not holding steady enough and still moving the scope around too much.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 11-20-2012, 13:35   #37
ithaca_deerslayer

Did some more shooting today with the Black Hills match HP 77 gr. At 100 yards put 5 into a nice 7/8" group, same low point of aim as yesterday's group.

Then raised it up to get on target and establish my zero for this load. My crappy shooting opened the group up to 1.25", but it is now on target

Next, shot a group at 200 yards, keeping my established 100 yard zero. Bullet doesn't drop much. With practice I'll play with keeping the 100 yard zero as baseline, and learning how many clicks to go up for each distance.

I want to get some more of this ammo. Not sure if it is what my gun likes best, but 7/8" groups aren't too bad so far for my lack of shooting skills

Black Rifle Forum
Old 12-09-2012, 18:25   #38
ithaca_deerslayer

Shot my best group ever. 1/2" from 100 yards. Decided to try 52gr match hp from Black Hills. This is my first group. High because I was zeroed for 77 grain. I've never shot a group this small before with any rifle. The dime actually covers all the holes

Black Rifle Forum

After zeroing and shooting a total of 5 groups at this distance the average size was .975". I'm sure I'm the weak link, but my gun does seem to like this ammo just a little better than the 77gr which averages around 1.125". Again, this is with me as the shooter. You could do better

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 12-09-2012 at 18:27..
Old 12-09-2012, 18:36   #39
ithaca_deerslayer

Also shot 1 group of 52gr at 200 yards, after zeroing at 100 yards. At 1 7/8", this probably the best 200 yard group I've ever shot. Doesn't drop much at this distance. I've got to get more of this ammo and see if the right drift is me or if I can tighten it more toward the center

Black Rifle Forum
Old 12-09-2012, 20:35   #40
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

I_D, that's mean. That's just mean man. The brand whores are going to soil their undies.

IMO, that's good accuracy. Of course with a Noveske or Colt, you can shoot east, the bullet will circumnavigate the globe and come out of the west and hit the target in the same hole, but that's not bad for a 27th tier rifle.

I wonder if a stronger scope would tighten them up? I have a Leupold scope that size, and the size of the crosshairs are bigger than the target. Not extremely precise at those ranges.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?

Last edited by Rooster Rugburn; 12-09-2012 at 20:37..
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote