Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-06-2012, 13:17   #1
Hound_dogs_01

Well I drank the kool-aid...

Went and put my deposit down on a new SR1911 this morning. My first good mid-quality 1911. This one I am going to keep since the lady friend is buying it for my Christmas this year. My last 1911 venture was a RIA Match and we just didnt click and I hit some hard times and it was first to go. I get the next one that comes in(sometime between now and Thanksgiving)

1. Now is there anything I need to do to it right out of the box other than a once over and lube it up well?

2. Those of you that reload for your SR1911 what OAL are you using for 200gr SWC bullets?

3. Are they pickey on ammo or will they eat anything I give it?

4. What pound recoil spring comes in them from the factory?

Thanks for all your help!!

Btw I think I got it for a steal at $695 out the door! I've yet to even hold a new one thats not a shop rental gun that everyone and their brother has put it through the ringer..

Alex

Last edited by Hound_dogs_01; 11-06-2012 at 13:19..
Hound_dogs_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 14:20   #2
bac1023

Great deal Alex

I'm glad you got it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 14:49   #3
Hound_dogs_01

Me too!! Even got it cheaper than they quoted me on the phone yesterday!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 16:15   #4
G19Paul

Congratulations!!!! My 1911 eats whatever I feed it. Problem is....it wants to eat a lot.

I mainly shoot 230grain FMJ. Reloads, cheap, expensive.... mine keeps shooting. I've been playing around with oil vs. grease. I like the FrogLube for lots of places and as a general coating. But I am now using a generic high-temperature synthetic grease (bought at Ace Hardware) on my rails. Seems to be working great. When I get to shoot 300 rounds in one session I was noticing a very dry gun. I didn't like that. The grease is sticking around well and I haven't had any issues.

I have over 1400 rounds through a two-month old Sig Sauer without a single error.

I don't know specifics about your Ruger, but I suggest you shoot the heck out of it before making too many changes. It should already be a pretty good pistol.

Best of luck!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 16:21   #5
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound_dogs_01 View Post

1. Now is there anything I need to do to it right out of the box other than a once over and lube it up well?

Every one is a little different, of course.

Mine required polishing and refitting of the magazine release and beveling of the firing pin retainer plate. The gun wouldn't cam over the hammer because the retainer plate was square and sharp at the bottom. Most manufacturers radius this part at the bottom, not Ruger. Also, it will need new mainspring and recoil spring to get it smoothed out to your liking. And, like most other 1911 pistols, it will require a trigger job to be useful for anything other than spraying lead around.

Some guys have reported issues with the safety and detent pin interface.

2. Those of you that reload for your SR1911 what OAL are you using for 200gr SWC bullets?

Depends on the bullet design. This question has no, one, right answer. Sorry. The gun will tell you what it likes.

3. Are they pickey on ammo or will they eat anything I give it?

Mine is forgiving of ammo type. I mostly use lead in it since with play with reactive targets.

4. What pound recoil spring comes in them from the factory?

Extra Heavy. Typical Ruger -- over sprung and under-fitted.

Alex
Enjoy your new pistol.

Last edited by Three-Five-Seven; 11-06-2012 at 16:23..
Three-Five-Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 14:45   #6
matt_lowry123

I clean all my guns after I buy them. I've tried wwb, Speer GD 185 and 230 grain, federal, independence, ranger 230+p, umc, and blazer aluminum. Never had a problem cycling ammo. I read somewhere that it's an 18 pound spring, but I'm not sure? I don't reload so I can't give any input there.

I'd shoot about 200 rounds each range session of target ammo and then 4 mags of SD ammo. I figured that if it jammed, it would when it was dirty. It never did though!!

Last edited by matt_lowry123; 11-10-2012 at 14:46.. Reason: Added ammo
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 17:38   #7
happy seal

Congrats, I almost bought a used one last weekend but the owner had second thoughts. He then e-mailed me yesterday saying it's back for sale! Hmmmnnn!

I can see a Kimber in my future.

"Off to the Salt Mine, My Friend"
happy seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 17:42   #8
ca survivor

Congrats!
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:48   #9
Green Dragoon

although it is mid-priced, I don't consider them mid-quality. These are nice, nice pistols. Enjoy her.

Ruger makes impressive quality arms. They've always figured out a way to add value to it too.

Last edited by Green Dragoon; 11-17-2012 at 07:49..
Green Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 16:04   #10
NCWalrus

I love my SR1911

I definitely shoot it the best out of all my guns

Heres a couple quick videos I made to help SR1911 owners:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NCWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote