Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:15   #1
Flying-Dutchman

Is a Recession Now Guaranteed?

Some talking heads on the business channels say a recession is guaranteed.

Business people are saying Obama has 3 days to assure the markets.

His can do one of 2 things:

Preserve his legacy by saving the economy

or

Fundamentally transform the United States of America.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34   #2
Restless28

The majority spoke yesterday. They support taking us all over the edge of the cliff.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46   #3
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
The majority spoke yesterday. They support taking us all over the edge of the cliff.
& now, no one will be trying to stop it ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:04   #4
unit1069

Yes, in my opinion a double-dip recession --- and possibly a depression --- is unavoidable. Employers can no longer keep full-time employees with CareBarry forcing crippling healthcare costs onto their balance sheets.

Defense industries who were cowed into violating US law by Team Obama will in the next couple of week announce the tens of thousands of layoffs starting in 2013, announcements that by law were due last month.

Where are the funds going to come from to support all those newly laid off workers while simultaneously paying for all the welfare checks and free cellphones for America's Dependent Class? We're facing massive Social Security, Medicare, and entitlement shortfalls with no viable solutions and an unaccountable Marxist president who visions himself a transformational historical figure who has shown his determination to let America sink rather than compromise one whit.

I'm shorting the market on the first decent bounce, since it was already too late for me to do so this morning. The stock and bond markets are going to crash, and I'm glad I went to cash about three weeks ago, fearing just this election outcome.

Last edited by unit1069; 11-07-2012 at 11:06..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:20   #5
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Have you ever had to call your wife and tell her there is a 30% chance that the family will be moving to another country right after Xmas?

My day is not going so well. And I thought jury duty was bad....
I never agreed to be
Your holy one
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:28   #6
nursetim

I don't know but my depression started last night. Although, if Romney had won, it would have been just postponing the inevitable. HWSNBN will lead the US to the end quicker.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:29   #7
arclight610

A new era of prosperity is here now that Obama has rightfully secured his place.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15   #8
JackMac

going down the drain. After 26 years in business, I am closing shop before the end of the year. Just don't have it in me to do it before Christmas....thinking about my employees. Well at least they can apply for unemployment come January. Thank you very much Mr. President. Thank you.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20   #9
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac View Post
going down the drain. After 26 years in business, I am closing shop before the end of the year. Just don't have it in me to do it before Christmas....thinking about my employees. Well at least they can apply for unemployment come January. Thank you very much Mr. President. Thank you.
What is your business?
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:38   #10
svtpwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
What is your business?
+1 I hope you don't close your business just because of the election turnout. We own a business also and have made changes to how we operate. We didn't replace a few FT employees that left and hired part time folks to fill in where needed.

We have no plans of closing the doors but certainly had to make changes to slim down payroll and operating costs. We were planing on replacing several vehicles and now that and a few other purchases are not going to happen anytime soon.

I wish you the best on your buisness and hope you decide to stay in the game.
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:39   #11
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

WTH? We've been in a recession for years. We're heading for a depression. No, a Depression, the likes of which we haven't seen since 1929. Take your rose-colored glasses off, people.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 13:20   #12
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
Some talking heads on the business channels say something to get me to keep watching through the next commercial break.

Business people are saying more stuff that continues to get me to watch their crummy ads. Curse them!

More blathering to get me to another commercial break. . .
I feel better correcting that post.

Last edited by Dennis in MA; 11-07-2012 at 13:20..
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 13:22   #13
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero View Post
WTH? We've been in a recession for years. We're heading for a depression. No, a Depression, the likes of which we haven't seen since 1929. Take your rose-colored glasses off, people.
This.

Ain't going to be no recession folks, we're headed for full on "where's my next meal coming from" depression. Think Argentina after 2001:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/a...ollapses/59179
Old 11-07-2012, 13:27   #14
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

BTW - And some of you vote.
Old 11-07-2012, 19:37   #15
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero View Post

Technically since 2000, We never pulled out of it.

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:40   #16
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
We pulled out. Recession is a very specifically defined term. But we've never gotten past the economic high (albeit artificial) we hit in 2000.
Old 11-07-2012, 19:42   #17
curlysir

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Defense industries who were cowed into violating US law by Team Obama will in the next couple of week announce the tens of thousands of layoffs starting in 2013, announcements that by law were due last month.
Already started: http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-boei...4--sector.html
Old 11-07-2012, 19:44   #18
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Recession? No.
Depression yes.
Zombie Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:47   #19
camelotkid
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
well technically that recession ended we just have yet to fully recover from it. But honestly I think we are on an upward swing and it would not have mattered who won the election.

Furthermore if any of you that are predicting a double dip are the same ones who were predicting a Romney win you obviously are not good at predicting so just sit down and be quite.
camelotkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:56   #20
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
Ain't going to be no recession folks, we're headed for full on "where's my next meal coming from" depression. Think Argentina after 2001:
It's not going to be anything like Argentina.

You know the saying "if you owe the bank a thousand dollars, you have a problem... if you owe the bank a billion dollars, the bank has a problem"?

Argentina defaulted on $132 billion of sovereign debt. We have 100x that much outstanding.

Our decline is going to take much longer, go much slower, and we're not going to bounce back from it in ten years the way Argentina did.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote