SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-07-2012, 15:09   #1
GRIMLET
Deceased

Colorado, Oregon and Washington State

These states voted to allow recreational use of marijuana.

The finer points of the law aren't ironed out yet so a little ambiguity is in play.

Without putting personal preferences or moral viewpoints into it, how will this affect your patrol? Are you for it or against it?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 15:14   #2
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I don't care. I have other things to worry about at work, so being able to punt the BS "drugs" calls when someone sees someone parked somewhere or the odor of MJ calls we get... fine by me.

I won't be lining up to buy it after work either. Whatever.
Old 11-07-2012, 15:29   #3
GRIMLET
Deceased

Thats what I was thinking also. For municipal police, it would seem to free up patrol time.

In another aspect I am interested to see if the illegal weed dealers stay in business or switch to other drugs. What kind of new turf wars for the new meth/crack dealers invading corners of the current hard drug dealers.

I am also interested in the amount of tax revenue which may stem layoffs and possibly increase equipment budgets.

Yes, I said stem. Hahahahah
Old 11-07-2012, 15:48   #4
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

What I posted to a similar thread in GNG:

Quote:
The not-so secret was that a majority of LE in Washington actually supported I-502 (Marijuana legalization) because it brought the industry under tighter controls, while hopefully gaining additional revenue for the state and establishing some base line for impairment when operating a vehicle.

In fact, much of those who opposed 502 were "co-op" growers who feared that their ability to deal would be curtailed by tighter controls. In reality, pre-502 was looser and somewhat more Libertarian in orientation, even if possession was more controlled for non green card holders.

So while legalized, it also is more tightly controlled by the state. It blows Libertarian minds.
Washington already had something of a defacto legalization in place with medical marijuana. Anyone could go to a "doctor," get a note for bad acne or something stupid, present it to a "provider" and get monthly allotments. One person I know has his "green card" gets a pound a month for a bad back. Amazing how many 18 & 19 y/os had "debilitating pain" which got them their authorizations.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 15:50   #5
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Thats what I was thinking also. For municipal police, it would seem to free up patrol time.

In another aspect I am interested to see if the illegal weed dealers stay in business or switch to other drugs. What kind of new turf wars for the new meth/crack dealers invading corners of the current hard drug dealers.

I am also interested in the amount of tax revenue which may stem layoffs and possibly increase equipment budgets.

Yes, I said stem. Hahahahah
I wouldn't be spending that tax money, yet. Most weed dealers aren't that diligent about following tax laws already in place. I doubt they are going to be following any new ones.
Old 11-07-2012, 16:08   #6
GRIMLET
Deceased

I cant see the average dealer getting going into a legit business. I can see the already existing med m j places expanding their sales base.

It will definitely by the finer points of the law concerning possession amounts, sales, cultivation and importation that may be interesting.
Old 11-07-2012, 16:13   #7
Vigilant

Just the mere smell of that crap pisses me off, and I won't associate with people who smoke it, whether it is legal or not. Even so, the opinions posted here make sense. I would add one more thing: PISS on the bootleg growers. Let the State grow it, regulate it, and sell it if it's going to be legal.
Old 11-07-2012, 16:13   #8
Vigilant

Buck Farack.
Old 11-07-2012, 16:17   #9
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Just the mere smell of that crap pisses me off, and I won't associate with people who smoke it, whether it is legal or not. Even so, the opinions posted here make sense. I would add one more thing: PISS on the bootleg growers. Let the State grow it, regulate it, and sell it if it's going to be legal.
Thats my thinking too.
I can see how the courts and jails may see relief also.
Old 11-07-2012, 16:25   #10
COLOSHOOTR

I'm 100% against it for several reasons.....

1: The stoners all like to claim it's going to reduce crime.

That's what they said when the medical marijuana stuff passed but we've seen an increase in violent crime related to medical pot. The turd who shot and killed our Officer earlier this year had his medical pot card and would buy it using his card legally then was selling it on the street. Robberies related to medical Marijuana are through the roof.

2: Tax money....

The medical Marijuana was supposed to generate revenue but since it's been passed the city still claims to be flat broke and has not hired our bought us new equipment since 2008. The pot shops are a cashbusiness as banks won't do business with the shops and I'm sure sales are very under reported.

3: Street sales are supposed to be a thing of the past according to the bill supporters.

LMAO right.... The bill allows for use by anyone 21 and up. The 16-21 age group are the prime users. People will still be selling it to them!

4. Cartels.

Colorado is already a central hub for the drug trade. Drugs including weed from Mexico go though here on the way though to the rest of the country. Money comes back though on it's way to Mexico. If large wholesale grow operations are allowed what's to stop cartels from getting in on the action and operating legal grows that then turn and distribute the Marijuana around the rest of the country. It would take away the need to try to smuggle as much across the border and could increase profits so you can bet they are already considering it. If that happens more violence could be brought with the cartel members who are sent to run things here.

I could go on and on covering more violence and injuries due to driving while high but I think everyone gets the point. I think this is a bad thing and I hope the feds step in to stop it.

On the other hand it won't be changing much in the way of day to day operations for us. With pretty much anyone able to get medical pot card we don't really worry about Marijuana unless it's very large quantities.

-George Orwell-
COLOSHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 16:42   #11
GRIMLET
Deceased

From your points it would seem legalization may help some of the problems with violence as no illegal means of acquisition are needed. It would also seem to allow more time for patrol and narcotics to work on the cartels. May I suggest contacting your
AG with recommendations on regulations and penalties for illegal dealers and those who may supply kids.
I am very sorry for your coworker who was killed. Im not sure how a card in his pocket made a difference.
I can see how robberies are a real concern for all, especially responding officers. It is difficult to single out one type of legal business due to robberies.
After all, banks can be dangerous too.

It is really important for LE to get involved with the regulations. Again, please contact or encourage your local PBA or FOP to get in early on structuring the new laws regarding this.
Old 11-07-2012, 16:59   #12
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I think it will actually encourage the illegal trade. The fact that there will be a way to possess it legally, will discourage law enforcement from using any more time than they already do related to these calls. When the quesiton will be whether or not the weed possessed has had the requisite taxes paid, LE just will not care enough to bother with it.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 17:09   #13
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

It will be the same as alcohol. Nothing different. Impaired drivers. Those that can't have it will find some way to get it. Then the people nearby getting high off the fumes and being a danger.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
Old 11-07-2012, 17:35   #14
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I think it will actually encourage the illegal trade. The fact that there will be a way to possess it legally, will discourage law enforcement from using any more time than they already do related to these calls. When the quesiton will be whether or not the weed possessed has had the requisite taxes paid, LE just will not care enough to bother with it.
I could see that possibly.
When I think about the illegal stills in my area, the use of illegal alcohol is similar in contrast to rec m j.
Most people would rather buy it from a reputable distributor in a storefront than bubba from the trunk of his car.
Illegal alcohol production is very low on the scale of LE here. Meth is still king.
I believe illegal weed enforcement on a low level dealer scale will be nonexistent in those three states. If the big cartels start interrupting the tax flow, I can see the state getting 10-8 on arresting them. Possibly it would add officers to their ATF or configure a new agency, Cannabis Cops.

Old 11-07-2012, 17:53   #15
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Big question,,,Will the po po in those states be allowed to consume when off duty.. and will it no longer be a disqualification for hiring...ATF says no possession of a firearm if you smoke the refer..
Old 11-07-2012, 18:22   #16
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
Big question,,,Will the po po in those states be allowed to consume when off duty.. and will it no longer be a disqualification for hiring...ATF says no possession of a firearm if you smoke the refer..
I say nothing should change on that. I am in favor of mandatory drug testing for just about any job out there, and certainly for someone to receive welfare or SSI.

Buck Farack.
Old 11-07-2012, 18:26   #17
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
We would very likely save money overall by selling it so cheap that it would no longer be profitable to smuggle it in. That could also possibly take away some of the crack/meth abuse. Possibly. If I had to choose between a pothead and a meth/crack user, I believe pot would be the lesser of the evils. But not by much.
Old 11-07-2012, 18:59   #18
c01
Crazy Eye

Good grief enough with the comparisons to crack and meth.

c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:10   #19
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Will it really change things? Not really, except put more laws in place and drive some of these dispensaries underground. Give us a bit more teeth for DUIs, until the standard gets challenged by defense attorneys in the courts.

It's legalized by the people. Now it's up to the legislature to figure out how it will work.

We will keep doing our job within the law.

Smoking off duty? Entirely possible with some of our more generation me folks. But that will see a challenge as well, especially if alcohol is permitted to be consumed off duty.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:40   #20
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Will it really change things? Not really, except put more laws in place and drive some of these dispensaries underground. Give us a bit more teeth for DUIs, until the standard gets challenged by defense attorneys in the courts.

It's legalized by the people. Now it's up to the legislature to figure out how it will work.

We will keep doing our job within the law.

Smoking off duty? Entirely possible with some of our more generation me folks. But that will see a challenge as well, especially if alcohol is permitted to be consumed off duty.
The hardest part is to determine if the thc in your system is from last night or an hour or two ago.

I dont see any agency allowing its use.
The decision would be appealed all the way to federal court. And as we all know, its still federally illegal to possess or use for the average populous. I think its a non issue as far as employment goes.