GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 19:44   #1
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!
 
Dukeboy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,440
Question for Ohio cops

I'm going ahead and posting this here instead of Political Issues because I'm looking for insight from Ohio po-pos and maybe firefighters too.

In last night's election, do you think Romney's vote margin was reduced among first responders due to the actions of the state Republican party in pushing Senate Bill 5 through last year?

In my experience, most cops around here are very conservative in their politics and regularly vote GOP, even if the union has endorsed a Democrat. (Heck, I routinely do myself.) However, a concerted effort by the GOP to attack our collective bargaining rights would probably result in a bunch of our guys staying home, even if they wouldn't pull the lever for the Dems.

I know Obummer's margin of victory in Ohio was high enough that a failure for a single subgroup of usual reliable GOP voters to turn out wasn't enough to cost Romney the state. I'm just curious about any anecdotes some of you might have.
__________________
"You want it to be one way... but it's the other way." - Marlo Stanfield
Dukeboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 20:51   #2
CincyLawman
Senior Member
 
CincyLawman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 183
Yes. It absolutely played a part. Republicans in Ohio declared war against its public servants (police, fire, and teachers) two years ago and it has not been forgotten.
CincyLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:12   #3
razdog76
Heavy Mettle
 
razdog76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
I'm going ahead and posting this here instead of Political Issues because I'm looking for insight from Ohio po-pos and maybe firefighters too.

In last night's election, do you think Romney's vote margin was reduced among first responders due to the actions of the state Republican party in pushing Senate Bill 5 through last year?

In my experience, most cops around here are very conservative in their politics and regularly vote GOP, even if the union has endorsed a Democrat. (Heck, I routinely do myself.) However, a concerted effort by the GOP to attack our collective bargaining rights would probably result in a bunch of our guys staying home, even if they wouldn't pull the lever for the Dems.

I know Obummer's margin of victory in Ohio was high enough that a failure for a single subgroup of usual reliable GOP voters to turn out wasn't enough to cost Romney the state. I'm just curious about any anecdotes some of you might have.
Amongst my coworkers, there were very few Obama supporters, one that I can think of that openly supported him. It is of course entirely possible that many simply did not discuss it openly because we work for an elected official of the opposite party.

Brown won the senate race with a statistical landslide 53% to Mandel's 42%. Brown has always been a union guy; whereas Mandel stated he was opposed to the auto manufacturer bailout making a double insult to the unions with the SB2/SB5 debacle.

I might also add Mandel received over $22 million in outside spending, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Brown received over $14 million in outside help.

Mandel also received huge support from PAC's (11.6 million in ads) which just goes to show how solid the union vote against him was IMHO.
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:30   #4
FiremanMike
Way too busy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyLawman View Post
Yes. It absolutely played a part. Republicans in Ohio declared war against its public servants (police, fire, and teachers) two years ago and it has not been forgotten.
Pretty much this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer
They made bad choices and expect us to pay the price? I don't think so, Tim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55   #5
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 21,332
it would make too much sense to vote for romney for president but vote against republicans for state office. the straight party line is easier to tow when you dont have to think.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:13   #6
CincyLawman
Senior Member
 
CincyLawman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 183
Exactly how I voted......
CincyLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37   #7
FiremanMike
Way too busy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
it would make too much sense to vote for romney for president but vote against republicans for state office. the straight party line is easier to tow when you dont have to think.
That's how I voted you condescending prick, but thanks for greatly oversimplifying an incredibly complex and difficult decision process for us conservative public servants in Ohio.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer
They made bad choices and expect us to pay the price? I don't think so, Tim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.

Last edited by FiremanMike; 11-10-2012 at 08:37..
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 13:08   #8
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,275
I couldn't in good conscience vote for a man who would take my livelihood from me.


Neither could plenty of my coworkers.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 13:15   #9
FiremanMike
Way too busy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I couldn't in good conscience vote for a man who would take my livelihood from me.


Neither could plenty of my coworkers.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
That was the sticking point for me, but at the last minute I bowed to my conservative innards and kept thinking of the (un fact checked) anecdote that Romney supposedly has a better bipartisan record. But then I considered that I blame the republicans in congress more than Obama for the utter lack of bipartisan cooperation. I'm not kidding, I spent probably 10 minutes staring at my ballot. I didn't feel totally good about my vote, but I wouldn't have felt good either way.

I'm definitely glad Mandel lost, he seemed even more slimy than most politicians, and damn was I tired of hearing about his military record, he was tossing that around way too much.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer
They made bad choices and expect us to pay the price? I don't think so, Tim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 13:20   #10
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 21,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
That's how I voted you condescending prick, but thanks for greatly oversimplifying an incredibly complex and difficult decision process for us conservative public servants in Ohio.
quit your crying...not enough of you did what you say you did and once again ohio carried obama's water.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 13:28   #11
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
quit your crying...not enough of you did what you say you did and once again ohio carried obama's water.
Cool man


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 13:30   #12
FiremanMike
Way too busy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
quit your crying...not enough of you did what you say you did and once again ohio carried obama's water.
Yep, all on Ohio..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer
They made bad choices and expect us to pay the price? I don't think so, Tim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 13:32   #13
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 21,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
Yep, all on Ohio..
not quite.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 15:43   #14
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I couldn't in good conscience vote for a man who would take my livelihood from me.


Neither could plenty of my coworkers.
So you're ok with what Obama is doing to the entire country? Staying home was a de facto vote for Obama.

Senate Bill 5 is nothing compared to what is coming eventually. But hey, no one is willing to endure even a little pain to do what is right, so instead the entire system is headed for collapse.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-10-2012 at 15:46..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 16:05   #15
razdog76
Heavy Mettle
 
razdog76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
So you're ok with what Obama is doing to the entire country? Staying home was a de facto vote for Obama.

Senate Bill 5 is nothing compared to what is coming eventually. But hey, no one is willing to endure even a little pain to do what is right, so instead the entire system is headed for collapse.
System?
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 16:43   #16
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
So you're ok with what Obama is doing to the entire country? Staying home was a de facto vote for Obama.

Senate Bill 5 is nothing compared to what is coming eventually. But hey, no one is willing to endure even a little pain to do what is right, so instead the entire system is headed for collapse.
That's laughable at best. You buy into the hype for no reason, I'm my defending the man one bit but I refuse to vote for a man who would take food out of my family's mouth.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 16:49   #17
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!
 
Dukeboy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Senate Bill 5 is nothing compared to what is coming eventually. But hey, no one is willing to endure even a little pain to do what is right, so instead the entire system is headed for collapse.
Senate Bill 5 was more than a little painful. It was also tactically stupid in a state as heavily unionized as Ohio is. Wisconsin showed them the way forward, but ideology trumped political savvy.
__________________
"You want it to be one way... but it's the other way." - Marlo Stanfield
Dukeboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 17:21   #18
Tango 1Zero
Senior Member
 
Tango 1Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: OH
Posts: 853
Neighbor is a Union county worker. Always voted republican. He told me he was voting for Obama and the Dem. Governor Brown.
I told him I was shocked he just doesnt care and wont hear it about Gun control, I tried he would just says there all dirty.
Also have a Niece and her husband voted for Obama and they are shooters too. Im the guy they turn to for gun advice or repairs.
Now I will charge them tripple price.
__________________
Gun Owners of America Life Member
Tango 1Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 17:29   #19
FiremanMike
Way too busy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 3,190
I love all these people outside Ohio acting as if they know what SB5 was like for us..

I still shake my head at all those paranoid about Obama gun control. Mitt Romney made opressive Massachusetts gun laws even worse during his tenure as governor, why does everyone gloss over that fact?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer
They made bad choices and expect us to pay the price? I don't think so, Tim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 18:14   #20
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
I love all these people outside Ohio acting as if they know what SB5 was like for us..

I still shake my head at all those paranoid about Obama gun control. Mitt Romney made opressive Massachusetts gun laws even worse during his tenure as governor, why does everyone gloss over that fact?
Nothin happened the first four years.


God willing ill sit here and say I told you so in 2016.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:41.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,407
436 Members
971 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42