SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-07-2012, 19:44   #1
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

Question for Ohio cops

I'm going ahead and posting this here instead of Political Issues because I'm looking for insight from Ohio po-pos and maybe firefighters too.

In last night's election, do you think Romney's vote margin was reduced among first responders due to the actions of the state Republican party in pushing Senate Bill 5 through last year?

In my experience, most cops around here are very conservative in their politics and regularly vote GOP, even if the union has endorsed a Democrat. (Heck, I routinely do myself.) However, a concerted effort by the GOP to attack our collective bargaining rights would probably result in a bunch of our guys staying home, even if they wouldn't pull the lever for the Dems.

I know Obummer's margin of victory in Ohio was high enough that a failure for a single subgroup of usual reliable GOP voters to turn out wasn't enough to cost Romney the state. I'm just curious about any anecdotes some of you might have.
Old 11-07-2012, 20:51   #2
CincyLawman

Yes. It absolutely played a part. Republicans in Ohio declared war against its public servants (police, fire, and teachers) two years ago and it has not been forgotten.
CincyLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:12   #3
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
I'm going ahead and posting this here instead of Political Issues because I'm looking for insight from Ohio po-pos and maybe firefighters too.

In last night's election, do you think Romney's vote margin was reduced among first responders due to the actions of the state Republican party in pushing Senate Bill 5 through last year?

In my experience, most cops around here are very conservative in their politics and regularly vote GOP, even if the union has endorsed a Democrat. (Heck, I routinely do myself.) However, a concerted effort by the GOP to attack our collective bargaining rights would probably result in a bunch of our guys staying home, even if they wouldn't pull the lever for the Dems.

I know Obummer's margin of victory in Ohio was high enough that a failure for a single subgroup of usual reliable GOP voters to turn out wasn't enough to cost Romney the state. I'm just curious about any anecdotes some of you might have.
Amongst my coworkers, there were very few Obama supporters, one that I can think of that openly supported him. It is of course entirely possible that many simply did not discuss it openly because we work for an elected official of the opposite party.

Brown won the senate race with a statistical landslide 53% to Mandel's 42%. Brown has always been a union guy; whereas Mandel stated he was opposed to the auto manufacturer bailout making a double insult to the unions with the SB2/SB5 debacle.

I might also add Mandel received over $22 million in outside spending, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Brown received over $14 million in outside help.

Mandel also received huge support from PAC's (11.6 million in ads) which just goes to show how solid the union vote against him was IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:30   #4
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyLawman View Post
Yes. It absolutely played a part. Republicans in Ohio declared war against its public servants (police, fire, and teachers) two years ago and it has not been forgotten.
Pretty much this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55   #5
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

it would make too much sense to vote for romney for president but vote against republicans for state office. the straight party line is easier to tow when you dont have to think.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:13   #6
CincyLawman

Exactly how I voted......
CincyLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37   #7
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
it would make too much sense to vote for romney for president but vote against republicans for state office. the straight party line is easier to tow when you dont have to think.
That's how I voted you condescending prick, but thanks for greatly oversimplifying an incredibly complex and difficult decision process for us conservative public servants in Ohio.
Quote:
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.

Last edited by FiremanMike; 11-10-2012 at 08:37..
Old 11-10-2012, 13:08   #8
Ohio Copper

I couldn't in good conscience vote for a man who would take my livelihood from me.

Neither could plenty of my coworkers.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 13:15   #9
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I couldn't in good conscience vote for a man who would take my livelihood from me.

That was the sticking point for me, but at the last minute I bowed to my conservative innards and kept thinking of the (un fact checked) anecdote that Romney supposedly has a better bipartisan record. But then I considered that I blame the republicans in congress more than Obama for the utter lack of bipartisan cooperation. I'm not kidding, I spent probably 10 minutes staring at my ballot. I didn't feel totally good about my vote, but I wouldn't have felt good either way.

I'm definitely glad Mandel lost, he seemed even more slimy than most politicians, and damn was I tired of hearing about his military record, he was tossing that around way too much.
Quote:
Old 11-10-2012, 13:20   #10
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
That's how I voted you condescending prick, but thanks for greatly oversimplifying an incredibly complex and difficult decision process for us conservative public servants in Ohio.
quit your crying...not enough of you did what you say you did and once again ohio carried obama's water.

Old 11-10-2012, 13:28   #11
Ohio Copper

Quote:
quit your crying...not enough of you did what you say you did and once again ohio carried obama's water.
Cool man

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Old 11-10-2012, 13:30   #12
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Yep, all on Ohio..
Quote:
Old 11-10-2012, 13:32   #13
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Yep, all on Ohio..
not quite.

Old 11-10-2012, 15:43   #14
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post

So you're ok with what Obama is doing to the entire country? Staying home was a de facto vote for Obama.

Senate Bill 5 is nothing compared to what is coming eventually. But hey, no one is willing to endure even a little pain to do what is right, so instead the entire system is headed for collapse.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-10-2012 at 15:46..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 16:05   #15
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
So you're ok with what Obama is doing to the entire country? Staying home was a de facto vote for Obama.

Senate Bill 5 is nothing compared to what is coming eventually. But hey, no one is willing to endure even a little pain to do what is right, so instead the entire system is headed for collapse.
System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 16:43   #16
Ohio Copper

Quote:

That's laughable at best. You buy into the hype for no reason, I'm my defending the man one bit but I refuse to vote for a man who would take food out of my family's mouth.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Old 11-10-2012, 16:49   #17
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

Quote:
Senate Bill 5 was more than a little painful. It was also tactically stupid in a state as heavily unionized as Ohio is. Wisconsin showed them the way forward, but ideology trumped political savvy.
Old 11-10-2012, 17:21   #18
Tango 1Zero

Neighbor is a Union county worker. Always voted republican. He told me he was voting for Obama and the Dem. Governor Brown.
I told him I was shocked he just doesnt care and wont hear it about Gun control, I tried he would just says there all dirty.
Also have a Niece and her husband voted for Obama and they are shooters too. Im the guy they turn to for gun advice or repairs.
Now I will charge them tripple price.
Old 11-10-2012, 17:29   #19
FiremanMike
Way too busy

I love all these people outside Ohio acting as if they know what SB5 was like for us..

I still shake my head at all those paranoid about Obama gun control. Mitt Romney made opressive Massachusetts gun laws even worse during his tenure as governor, why does everyone gloss over that fact?
Quote:
Old 11-10-2012, 18:14   #20
Ohio Copper

Quote:
I love all these people outside Ohio acting as if they know what SB5 was like for us..

I still shake my head at all those paranoid about Obama gun control. Mitt Romney made opressive Massachusetts gun laws even worse during his tenure as governor, why does everyone gloss over that fact?
Nothin happened the first four years.

God willing ill sit here and say I told you so in 2016.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote: