SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2012, 19:24   #1
Rizzo
Garbage Day!

Something to ponder re: the 2016 election

People voted for Clinton (twice) because they were tired of Reagan and Bush 1.

They voted for W (twice) because they were tired of Clinton.

They voted for Obama (twice) because they were tired of W.

Maybe there's hope for 2016. That's just my half-assed theory, anyway- that politics is like a pendulum- swings one way for a while, then comes back and swings the other.

I hope that's the case, anyway.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:59   #2
GAFinch

Welfare programs will continue to be expanded for the next four years. Millions of illegals will be added to the voter rolls, who vote 75% Democrat. Our Republic is now a Democracy where the majority give themselves money from the minority.
Old 11-09-2012, 20:14   #3
Michael Rye

I agree about the ideological pendulum swings, to a degree.

I have a somewhat different take though. The American people didn't elect Clinton out of a rejection of Bush. I say this for two reasons.

1) In Clinton's first campaign in 1992, he actually ran a very conservative campaign for a Democrat. Certainly nothing like Mondale or Dukakis did. Of course those of us who knew better, knew he was lying about his intentions. But still though, there were no particularly radical positions he was campaigning on.

2) The real reason Clinton was elected was because of Ross Perot. Had it not been for Perot entering the race, Bush most likely would've been reelected in 1992, although most likely a close election.
Michael Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 20:16   #4
TheExplorer

If Hillary doesn't run, I think the republicans could put up Quayle and win.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 20:32   #5
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
If Hillary doesn't run, I think the republicans could put up Quayle and win.
True. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 20:36   #6
heliguy

From here on out, elections are no longer @policy.... It's about which party can give me more freebies...
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 20:40   #7
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
From here on out, elections are no longer @policy.... It's about which party can give me more freebies...
Obama did not win on "freebies." Romney lost because the Republicans have become blithering idiots. HH

Old 11-09-2012, 21:07   #8
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Obama did not win on "freebies." Romney lost because the Republicans have become blithering idiots. HH

Quote:
~ "A democracy is always temporary in nature.....it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that "voters" discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, ***which is always followed by a dictatorship`
***We now have too many takers and not enough givers, to fix things" ~
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 21:15   #9
C6vetter

Quote:
Are you dumb or just stoopid???
C6vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 21:29   #10
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6vetter View Post
There but for the grace of God...goes everyone. HH

Old 11-09-2012, 21:37   #11
sbhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6vetter View Post
While Obama got a lot of votes from the FSA. It should be noted that FEWER people voted this past Tuesday then four years ago. Obama actually received FEWER votes Tuesday than he did four years ago. Roughly 3 million votes separated Obama and Romney this past Tuesday which was FEWER than the votes that separated Obama from McCain four years earlier.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/president/
Obama: 66,882,230 votes - 365 Electoral Votes
McCain: 58,343,671 votes - 173 Electoral Votes

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/main
Obama: 61,617,148 votes - 303 Electoral Votes
Romney: 58,460,704 votes - 206 Electoral Votes

Last edited by sbhaven; 11-09-2012 at 21:39..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:17   #12
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
Welfare programs will continue to be expanded for the next four years. Millions of illegals will be added to the voter rolls, who vote 75% Democrat. Our Republic is now a Democracy where the majority give themselves money from the minority.
The truth that almost no one wants to believe.

Plan. Prepare.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:24   #13
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaven View Post
While Obama got a lot of votes from the FSA. It should be noted that FEWER people voted this past Tuesday then four years ago. Obama actually received FEWER votes Tuesday than he did four years ago. Roughly 3 million votes separated Obama and Romney this past Tuesday which was FEWER than the votes that separated Obama from McCain four years earlier.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/president/
Obama: 66,882,230 votes - 365 Electoral Votes
McCain: 58,343,671 votes - 173 Electoral Votes

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/main
Obama: 61,617,148 votes - 303 Electoral Votes
Romney: 58,460,704 votes - 206 Electoral Votes
This is what has been missing from press coverage. Obama is a severely dimished president now.

2014 should be interesting. By then I suspect many Dems on the edge will tell him to stay away. The Dems in 2016 may very well be saying they will not be like Obama. Remember Gore not using Bill Clinton? Same thing.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT

Last edited by CAcop; 11-09-2012 at 22:25..
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:26   #14
MIKES LAW

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe not. All I know is I want my "Bama-phone"
Old 11-11-2012, 20:11   #15
heliguy

Quote:
Check the exit polls. It was all about Gvt supplied freebies....
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 20:27   #16
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
People voted for Clinton (twice) because they were tired of Reagan and Bush 1.

They voted for W (twice) because they were tired of Clinton.

They voted for Obama (twice) because they were tired of W.

Maybe there's hope for 2016. That's just my half-assed theory, anyway- that politics is like a pendulum- swings one way for a while, then comes back and swings the other.

I hope that's the case, anyway.

This may be one of my last posts on this topic.

1. The composition of our population has changed. There are far more minorities who are now interested in politics, and who are eligible to vote, compared to 12 years ago.

2. More women are voting as well.

Those two blocks of voters tend to prefer the party that is seen as more compassionate. The party that takes care of and looks out for the fellow man. The party that is not hasty to war. The party that is open minded on abortion. The party that recognizes that although someone is here illegally, they may still be a "decent" person (kinda like the fact that while many break the speed limit on multiple occasions each day they are not filled with visions of being the rebirth of Charles Manson).

Those people would rather to see the entire country implode into a black hole of debt and under the crush of those who leech from the system than cut one entitlement.

If .gov ran like I run my house when expenditure exceeds income I cut spending, or as a last resort, borrow.

When people show up, or attempt to show up at my door uninvited I refuse them entry.

I try to not be bothered about how my neighbor lives his life, UNLESS he brings harm to his dependents, or infringes on my own freedoms.

...but that's just me. YMMV.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 20:33   #17
ysr_racer

Until the Republicans ditch the Christian Conservative nonsense, we'll never win another election.

When I'm talking to my fellow Republicans, none of them has ever mentioned abortion, birth control, gay marriage, or marijuana.

The times have changed, if we don't we'll end up like the dinosaurs. They were unwilling to change too.
Old 11-11-2012, 20:46   #18
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Until the Republicans ditch the Christian Conservative nonsense, we'll never win another election.

When I'm talking to my fellow Republicans, none of them has ever mentioned abortion, birth control, gay marriage, or marijuana.

The times have changed, if we don't we'll end up like the dinosaurs. They were unwilling to change too.
Very few want to admit that the Jerry Falwell virus that infected the republican party is what's killing it.

It needs to be purged. No one wants to live in a theocracy regardless of what they call their invisible man.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15   #19
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post

Christian Conservative vote is very importation with out them the Republicans go no where.
Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53   #20
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Christian Conservative vote is very importation with out them the Republicans go no where.
Where did the Christian Conservatives take them this election?

There was an interesting article a few weeks before the election where the author wrote about Catholics. Essentially saying that they were a bellweather for how the election would go. He used plenty of historical data to make his point. Even though Catholics are very religous and can vote accordingly they are also capable of separating their religious values from their earthly needs.

The Christian Conservatives act like the American Taliban sometimes. It turns off a lot of voters.

The Christian Conservatives helped elect Ronald Reagan and helped Bush II, but look haw close that one was. They are like the New Deal Coalition for the Dems. They were very powerful until times changed. Now I would argue there is an Obama Coalition.

The GOP needs to get with the times. I suspect they won't until they loose again in 2016. They may have to do it in 2020 too before the message gets recieved by all.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote