Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2012, 18:24   #1
Landmonster

Is voting now pointless?

November 6th, 2012, changed my view of this nation.

I genuinely believed that with all the various problems and economic despair of the last 4 years, Obama would lose in some form of a historic landslide (of at least modest proportions).

For the last 4 years, I closely followed politics. I tried to educate myself the best I reasonably could to the political affairs of our nation. I tuned into political TV and radio shows, and listened to pundits. I read various print and online media. I listened to pundits I disagreed with, to hear various sides of issues.

As the election drew nearer, I was dismayed at the trivial issues that gained such widespread attention. 'Evil' Bain Capital? Mitt Romney's tax returns, and his supposed tax evasion? Rights of women to free contraceptives from the government?? How 'evil' Mitt Romney was for being wealthy?

All of these things were either trivial, misleading, false, or counter to our traditional way of life.

What about the REAL issues? What about the monumental prospect of Obamacare? What about the staggering unemployment rates, with no prospects of improvement? What about the sluggish economy? What about our massive and increasing annual deficits and federal debt? What about our huge problem with illegal immigration, with no end in sight? What about massively rising fuel and energy costs? What about Obama's failure to respond to the increasingly dangerous Iran nuclear crisis in the middle east? What about his failure to respond to recent embassy attacks? What about... etc etc.

Nope. None of that really mattered, it seemed. Especially not in the blue states, where the situations were worst (ironically). A shocking amount of voters were easily swayed in the last few weeks of the election by 30 second TV "attack ads". A shocking number of people failed to even show up to vote. More shockingly, a shocking number of people were wildly still in support of Obama, especially in the states with the worst economic woes.

I can't wrap my mind around this. As best I can tell, most people in this country are now either:
  • Brainwashed by the liberal media/schools/government.
  • Single issue voters - voting for some form a handout for themselves.
  • Stupid.
  • Ignorant of real issues.
  • Blinded by race.
  • Too lazy to vote.

In any case, if the dire events of 2008-2012 were not enough to persuade the American public to remove a president like Obama from office, I have little faith in the future voting abilities of the American public.

I voted against Obama. Did it matter? Turns out it did not.

I am genuinely angry at people who voted for Obama under some false, emotional, or selfish pretense. I feel that they should have taken more time to educate themselves on the real issues, or at least voted on issues of true national importance.

To make matters worse for conservatives, the shifting demographics of our country will provide the democrats with an even larger voting base in the future (read: more illegal immigrants and offspring)

Although, one part of me never wants to surrender to liberalism.... another part of me questions whether voting even matters anymore. Is our country lost to liberalism?
Landmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:32   #2
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Collectively, we get the government we deserve. The politicians we elect are a reflection of who we are, and we are shallow, self-centered, weak, ignorant, shortsighted spenders.
Old 11-09-2012, 18:33   #3
LL6

http://alfonzorachel.com/915/one-of-...the-presidency
Old 11-09-2012, 18:34   #4
Landmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Collectively, we get the government we deserve. The politicians we elect are a reflection of who we are, and we are shallow, self-centered, weak, ignorant, shortsighted spenders.
Do we now just arbitrarily hate rich white people? And demand free stuff, at the expense of the greater good?
Old 11-09-2012, 18:35   #5
Flying-Dutchman

Keep voting but spend as little time worrying about politics as possible as it may be a lost cause from now on.

Concentrate on improving your own life.

Have the mindset that you are now living in a foreign country.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:38   #6
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Voting is promoted as a symbol of "democracy", but it does little good when the candidates you have to choose from are 1) evil and 2) lesser of two evils, one election after another.
Old 11-09-2012, 18:40   #7
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

“A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.”
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:41   #8
IceAxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
True indeed but (credit to Mark Levin) sadly all of us will soon be paying the price that some of us deserve.

Last edited by IceAxe; 11-09-2012 at 18:42..
IceAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:44   #9
Flying-Dutchman

To the OP - You summed up the situation well. My thoughts exactly. I am disgusted in the results of this election.

52% of the American people failed.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:44   #10
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Do we now just arbitrarily hate rich white people? And demand free stuff, at the expense of the greater good?
Apparently we do.
Old 11-09-2012, 18:54   #11
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.
Timeless, and never more relevant.
Old 11-09-2012, 19:01   #12
Landmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeedlane View Post
Timeless, and never more relevant.
If that is true, then it would seem to say that voting IS pointless from here on out.
Old 11-09-2012, 19:08   #13
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Yes.

And the republican party is way, way to narrow in it's membership. All of the other groups together now go to the dems. Old, rich white guys is no longer enough to carry the republican party.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:09   #14
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
If that is true, then it would seem to say that voting IS pointless from here on out.

This is right. We now have too many takers and not enough givers, to fix things.

Buy a sled. It's going to be a fast ride downhill.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:13   #15
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Though I still begrudgingly make the effort, I cannot disagree with your sentiment.

Until there is a collective will to change the course of business otherwise, it is our only remaining option.
Old 11-09-2012, 19:13   #16
Rick C
affiant

There is always 2016. Buck Up or seppuku.
Old 11-09-2012, 19:16   #17
norton

The good news is, the Bamster has a huge problem.
Congress.
When first elected, he was able to ram Health care through because his party controlled both the House and Senate.
He won't be able to get around it until 2014. And then only if the democrats win the house.
And by 2014, he will be a lame duck president.

Hang in there. Beseech your Congressperson, to stick to their guns.
Old 11-09-2012, 19:25   #18
RonS

I've been saying this since he was first elected. He will make the economy as bad as possible, promise as much stuff as he can to the poor and then when the money runs out he will blame the Republicans for being greedy, selfish and obstructive and use the public anger to take total power for the greater good. And IMHO we as a nation just proved that "Yes, we are that stupid."
Old 11-09-2012, 19:25   #19
Dragoon189

Not pointless at all. Voting kept the house in republican hands and is keeping our rights slightly safer. As long as Obama keeps under performing enough people will be upset enough to keep swinging republican for years to come. The map of counties that voted Romney covered about 75% of the country but the most populated areas voted Obama; that gives the dems a edge in the senate and presidency but the house is strongly republican.
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials." George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788
Dragoon189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:29   #20
SunsetMan
Lifetime Membership
Proud Introvert

No, voting is not pointless. Part of our problem was not enough of us getting out to vote.

How we managed to lose against an incumbent with this record who should possibly be facing two impeachable offenses is beyond me.

My suggestions for next time, drop abortion and gay marriage, find candidates that are not multi-millionaires, no odd religions, get a minority on the ticket and support student aid.