Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:30   #1
bigcountry31987

What to do with my life.....

I dropped out of school at 16. I got my GED. I was a carpenter for a few yrs, an electrician for most of my life. I went to school for auto mechanics. I am 24 years old now and have figured out why my parents and elders always said GOTO COLLEGE.

Before its too late for me I want to figure out what I can do to have some security and good sized paycheck. I also don't want to spend 8yrs in school, 4 Tops. I know this is a crazy questions but any ideas on what I should do with my life. Not too interested in breaking my back for the rest of my life. I just want to make alot of money in a somewhat rewarding career and want to be home every night with my future family.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36   #2
CBumpkin

Sounds to me like you already know what action to take. Do what you can to enroll in college and then just follow your strengths. Based on your work history, you might find you have a natural inclination toward engineering. It's only impossible if you don't try!
CBumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04   #3
bigcountry31987

Ok so engineering ...are there jobs in high demand???

Old 12-22-2011, 12:11   #4
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
I'm in school for electronics engineering right now. My Dad works for a top notch supplier for the pharmaceutical industry. They have to fight to keep electrical engineers in the shop because of the demand. Send a pm if you'd like.
Old 01-02-2012, 18:32   #5
purrrfect 10

No one can tell you what you like to do. The best job in the world is one you enjoy doing. You might want to do some soul searching as to what you really enjoy. That my friend is the direction to head.
Good luck
God Bless
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 18:48   #6
LAWDOGKMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry31987 View Post
I dropped out of school at 16. I got my GED. I was a carpenter for a few yrs, an electrician for most of my life. I went to school for auto mechanics. I am 24 years old now and have figured out why my parents and elders always said GOTO COLLEGE.

Before its too late for me I want to figure out what I can do to have some security and good sized paycheck. I also don't want to spend 8yrs in school, 4 Tops. I know this is a crazy questions but any ideas on what I should do with my life. Not too interested in breaking my back for the rest of my life. I just want to make alot of money in a somewhat rewarding career and want to be home every night with my future family.

You're doing fine...and actually have a leg up on many your age..imho..

You have SKILLS and TRADES you can fall back on..

Now, get a college degree in something related to your work experience (architecture, structural engineering, electrical engineerimg etc) and YOU'RE GOLDEN!

Then, unlike a book smart only college grad, you have experience and background knowledge of what you've been educated in.
LAWDOGKMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 22:20   #7
jprj

Send a message via Yahoo to jprj

I agree on all of the above. And after you've defined the course for you, target companies that has something to do with energy.
jprj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 22:36   #8
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfect 10 View Post
No one can tell you what you like to do. The best job in the world is one you enjoy doing. You might want to do some soul searching as to what you really enjoy. That my friend is the direction to head.
Good luck
God Bless
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 22:56   #9
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

for God's sake dont have kids until you can support yourself and pay child support after the divorce.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 18:04   #10
AKguy

Go to college; a real one and not a stupid online one. With a bachelor's degree (4 yrs.) you open a lot of doors. Bigger paycheck, easier to find jobs, etc. Just be ready to go through with it. If you go 2 years and then stop you've wasted a lot of time and money.
GA Glocker #355
AKguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 13:36   #11
repo4sale

Send a message via AIM to repo4sale Send a message via Yahoo to repo4sale Send a message via Skype™ to repo4sale
Everyone! read my post in this section. Enjoy making a KILLING IN YOUR STATE, COUNTY & BACK YARD... BUY LAND AT UNDER $300 PER ACRE AND THEN SELL IT IN 2-10 YEARS...
repo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 22:27   #12
roderickpaulate

Hi Everyone! please allow me to introduce myself

I'M Roderick Paulate Sports trainer, and I’m really got interest when I meet a person that fits on my skills. I’ve been a trainer for how many years when I was a young student in our campus. And now I’m a manager in our online shop. Proud to say that i am a BUSINESS MAN
We are delighted to welcome you to our new website and our exciting range of Triathlon clothing, zoot trainer, felt bikes and accessories in addition to which, we offer you personalized, prompt customer service, tailored to your requirements.
roderickpaulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 00:04   #13
nelson1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by roderickpaulate View Post
Hi Everyone! please allow me to introduce myself

I'M Roderick Paulate Sports trainer, and Im really got interest when I meet a person that fits on my skills. Ive been a trainer for how many years when I was a young student in our campus. And now Im a manager in our online shop. Proud to say that i am a BUSINESS MAN
Hi warm welcome here...join great community....
Old 03-09-2012, 01:37   #14
roderickpaulate

hi nelson.....how you doing...r u also a business man......
We are delighted to welcome you to our new website and our exciting range of Triathlon clothing, zoot trainer, felt bikes and accessories in addition to which, we offer you personalized, prompt customer service, tailored to your requirements.

Last edited by roderickpaulate; 03-09-2012 at 01:39.. Reason: technical error
roderickpaulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:57   #15
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
for God's sake dont have kids until you can support yourself and pay child support after the divorce.
Ahhhh.....nothin' like positive thinking.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 17:05   #16
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

No matter how old you get, don't ever let anyone tell you it's too late to change things. Nobody is too old to go back to school and learn new skills.

The most important thing I can think of:
Avoid wasting your time on jobs where there is nothing to climb up to, and nothing to learn on-the-job. Waiters and bus boys seldom have any possible promotions open to them that won't still involve carrying food to someone else's table.

And whether you have a degree or not, there are always going to be those employers who will try to keep you pigeon-holed in something that makes money for them, but has no future for you. This will still be true even if you have a Phd someday, so even then, look for jobs that will give you new learning opportunities while you do the work, and shun those that do not.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 17:10   #17
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfect 10 View Post
Good luck
God Bless

Yup! This...^^^
LASTRESORT20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:37   #18
roderickpaulate

All i can say "GO FOR THE BEST AND BE THE BEST"

Old 03-11-2012, 04:28   #19
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:

Before its too late for me I want to figure out what I can do to have some security and good sized paycheck. I also don't want to spend 8yrs in school, 4 Tops. I know this is a crazy questions but any ideas on what I should do with my life. Not too interested in breaking my back for the rest of my life. I just want to make a lot of money in a somewhat rewarding career and want to be home every night with my future family.

If your mechanically inclined and have gone to school for mechanics, consider becoming a heavy truck technician. I make $50,000 per year. Granted, I've been doing this 17 years but your pay won't be too bad if you get into a good company.

The dealerships pay well but many are flat rate. If your good at it, stay with it and be the best at it that you can be. Truck technicians are in high demand right now and situation will only become more dire with time since so many of the experienced truck technicians are retiring.

If you really want the top pay, get current with the electronic controls and the new diesel emissions technology and learn to be fast and good with the diagnostic process. You will be a commodity in no time.

I will forewarn you, you will spend $$$ on tools and invest a lot of time to training. You will always be going to more training in the course of your career in order to stay current. You will work long shifts, odd hours and sometimes be working outside, on the road, landfills, ect.

The good news is every company that I've been with pays for your training and a lot can be learned on the job. I'm training a new hire right now. Just keep a opened mind and don't pretend to know everything! Most importantly, don't be afraid to say you don't know how to do something and be sure to ask a lot of questions. That's the only way we all learn.

It's a honest living, it can be rewarding and it's a lot of fun. I get days that I hate it since every job has it's bad days but I wouldn't have been doing it as long as I have if I didn't like it.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. If a girl can do it, you can too!

Last edited by NEOH212; 03-11-2012 at 04:31..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:39   #20
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Also keep in mind you will only get out of something what you put in. If your determined to make the money, you have to be determined to make yourself valuable and worth it.

Build good skills. Try to have skills that few others have and be very good at what you do.

When you go to your interview, be proud of yourself. Be honest but be confident and sell yourself to the HR director or whoever your talking to.

When I do interviews, I'm looking for people that have real skills, that are honest about their limitations and abilities, have a good appearance, a good attitude, are motivated, are positive about themselves and their line of work, that value team work, and are willing to learn and continue to learn throughout their career.

Most of all, I want to hire a worker, not a lazy body that works harder to get out of doing work than it would be to just do the job in the first place.

Above all that, you have to like what your doing. However, the money may be somewhere and in some line of work that you don't like. You have to weigh your options and ask yourself what means more to you and what your priorities are?

Do plenty of research and make a well thought out choice. You'll thank yourself for it later.

Last edited by NEOH212; 03-11-2012 at 04:42..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:04   #21
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
You are never too old to go back to school. I am living proof.

I went back as a second semester freshman at age 43. I thought I wanted to be a pharmacist, but found my strengths lay elsewhere. I have now been an attorney for 12 years, and have been in government service with a passable salary that is three times what I made in radio and tv and benefits that broadcasting never provided for nearly nine of those years.

I did it. You can do it. Visit the admissions office at the university nearest you and talk to a counselor. They can help you find the best path for you, and once you start, you can change paths as the goal becomes clearer.

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 19:19   #22
roderickpaulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlawpup View Post
I have now been an attorney for 12 years, and have been in government service with a passable salary that is three times what I made in radio and tv and benefits that broadcasting never provided for nearly nine of those years.

I did it. You can do it. Visit the admissions office at the university nearest you and talk to a counselor. They can help you find the best path for you, and once you start, you can change paths as the goal becomes clearer.
Wow! your so successful in your life! that's really cool!

Old 07-19-2012, 13:13   #23
theHIGHLANDER

Quote:

Yeah, so does everyone else! I went to college for 3 semesters for auto technology rather than service. "Why it was there" interested me more than "put a new one there".

After that time and being sick of not being able to afford tuition, and seeing foreign students in the same classes for free, and unwilling to sign for a student loan, I decided to make my own way. Was it ever easy? No freakin way, but I wouldn't change too much. Now I answer to the PITA over the top of my bathroom sink every morning, developed a skill set that's in high demand that I can do even if disabled, and generally enjoy most of my waking hours. I've made killings on resale, killer commissions on rep sales, boosted my knowledge over time on more than one "brand". I'm ready to take an investment risk without going overboard at any time. I've watched my work cross the Barrett-Jackson stage and bring big dollars, even though it was done 20yrs ago.

My chosen craft is collector cars. That world is also full of scammers and short-term money seekers. They'll lie cheat and steal to make the sale. I don't. I'd rather sell 10 things for 10% profit than 1 thing for 100%. Action, activity. Always visible, never hide from anyone, work genuinely fit for a king (long story).

Anyone can do this at any level in nearly any craft. Carpenter, mason, plumber, automotive, electronics. Pick one and find a niche, exploit the opportunities, pay attention and listen. I've been independent for most all of my 41yrs in the game. I don't have a student loan, boss, BS, MS, or PhD. I have my right hand and my word which has closed 6 and 7 figure deals many times. YOU are the only one who can answer your question. YOU want what everyone wants, the most money for the least input. WE ALL DO! It's not real. It's reality TV.

A friend expressed a proverb to me once, "When opportunity knocks, most won't open the door because it looks like hard work." Another one, "The difference between a good job and perfect job is about 15min." Think about that last one, 15 more minutes applied to the job, any job. "He's your man..." "You want this guy to do..." "The best name in XXX is Abc Defg..."

If any of that makes sense and stirs you up some, you're already on your way. Then again, this may go to waste and you never see it...
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 23:41   #24
PlasticGuy

I'll buck the trend here. I think that unless you have a very clear goal, and that goal requires a college degree, you should consider a trade school or apprenticeship instead. While it's not difficult to find examples of people who have made their degrees pay off, it is just as easy to find people who ended up buried under student loans and with the same jobs they would have had without college.

My wife's college degree has made us a lot of money. My degree paid for itself, but I found better money after a few years by not using it. Figure out which one you are, and then plot your course.