Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-04-2012, 13:39   #1
firecracker6

Help w/ head problem?

As a preface to this post I have a strong martial arts background. This has taught me to tilt my head to cover my throat w/ my chin. I've noticed I do this when shooting. I've noticed I shoot better when I don't tilt my head but I'm not sure it's worth unlearning as it will be time consuming and may have certain negative repercussions. Does anyone have any input or experience w/ this?
firecracker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 16:33   #2
yamen1999

I have a martial arts backround and I would suggest you look at shooting as a new technique. You don't need to unlearn anything. You just have to learn an additional methode of self defense.

I don't know how long you have been shooting, but I've been at it for about 2 years. I have realized that shooting requires a different perspective on techniques. To me it's an addition to my tool box of tricks. Learn to apply the right tool at the right time.
yamen1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 23:41   #3
JuneyBooney

Which shooting stance are you using? The stance may make a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:08   #4
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

I assume you mean you are canting your head forward (nose down to the ground) to close off access to your windpipe versus canting off to either side.

If you are learning how to shoot, stance is critically important. Just as when you were learning martial arts, many of the skills you were taught initially in your training were only really just very gross motor skills. Over time your instructors refined those gross movements to add finesse and detail.

• FORGET for a bit, what you have learned in martial arts. Don't let all of your extensive training become a liability for you.
  • Seek some professional assistance. If you really indeed are an advanced or even intermediate student of the martial arts, chances are you or a previous custodian of yours invested hundreds, and possibly thousands of dollars in your martial arts training. You could never (and I mean never) learn any martial arts by being self taught.
  • Pay for a shooting coach, for at the very least a minimum of 4hrs spread out over two weeks, 1hr each session.
Good luck with your shooting regimen!

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31   #5
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker6 View Post
As a preface to this post I have a strong martial arts background. This has taught me to tilt my head to cover my throat w/ my chin. I've noticed I do this when shooting. I've noticed I shoot better when I don't tilt my head but I'm not sure it's worth unlearning as it will be time consuming and may have certain negative repercussions. Does anyone have any input or experience w/ this?
Interesting! Try changing your focus a little bit. Instead of steadying your head in order to shoot straight, try watching the very top of the front sight and steadying it, first, before you lock up anything else.

Over the years I've noticed that when I'm shooting well I tend to slightly lower my chin; but, when I'm shooting great, my neck is loose and I'm watching as much as shooting.

(Try running one of these, 'zombie courses' with a stiff neck. I think you'll find that you shoot much faster, and see the targets pop up a lot sooner if you relax your neck. How do you learn to do this? Start watching the very top of your front sight.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote