SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2012, 20:50   #1
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

What Kinda Ammo do you prefer?

I hope to take my new rifle out to the range some time this coming week.

I went to the local Walmart they had Tula for 4.89 a box of 20. It seems to be pretty basic stuff 55gr nothing special. I have used Tula in my glock with very few problems other then the occasional dud. I also went ahead and ordered some PMC 55gr offline just waiting for it to ship.

What do you guys use and prefer what have you had good luck with? I keep seeing this stuff called "Lake City" That looks to be military surplus. I have seen some marked ADI which looks to be Australasian Military surplus.

I don't have any issues using non corrosive military surplus if its safe.
Old 11-10-2012, 20:55   #2
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

I like XM193. Good for range use as well as self defense ammo.
Old 11-10-2012, 21:00   #3
skyboss_4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
I like XM193. Good for range use as well as self defense ammo.
Same here.
Old 11-10-2012, 21:15   #4
USMCsilver
Boat Life ©

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Call me cheap, but I keep thousands of rounds of Wolf on hand.

Good enough for the range... If needed for anything for more than just the range, it'll do the job just fine, IMHO.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:18   #5
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

XM-193, or my reloaded version of it, is my standard plinking ammo. Since steel cased ammo can't be reloaded, I have no use for it. Also, in my experience, extractors don't last long with steel cased ammo but plenty of people shoot it.

Last edited by Travclem; 11-10-2012 at 21:21..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:24   #6
USMCsilver
Boat Life ©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
XM-193, or my reloaded version of it, is my standard plinking ammo. Since steel cased ammo can't be reloaded, I have no use for it. Also, in my experience, extractors don't last long with steel cased ammo but plenty of people shoot it.
An extractor is, what, $0.90?

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
Old 11-10-2012, 21:30   #7
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
Call me cheap, but I keep thousands of rounds of Wolf on hand.

Good enough for the range... If needed for anything for more than just the range, it'll do the job just fine, IMHO.
Wolf shoots very well from some rifles. M193 is quite consistent in its Federal and Winchester iterations. 50 gr vmax loaded by Fiochi is extremely accurate from several of our rifles.

If money were no object. Barnes TTSX all day long!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:33   #8
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
An extractor is, what, $0.90?
That $0.90 extractor is worth a whole lot more when you don't have a spare in the middle of nowhere hog hunting. I have since stopped shooting steel ammo and started carrying spare parts with me everywhere. On top of that, I can shoot high quality brass cased ammo for cheaper than low quality steel ($0.17/round vs $0.25/round). I wont tell anyone not to steel cased ammo, I just personally do not.

Last edited by Travclem; 11-10-2012 at 21:36..
Old 11-10-2012, 21:35   #9
mjkeat

The Tula you saw at Walmart is what I'm shooting the most of as of late. Before then Wolf Military classic. I have yet to see any adverse side effects from shooting steel cased ammunition. I did shoot XM193 when shooting 3gun at a range that didn't allow steel cased ammunition. Why did they not allow it? Who knows. I shoot my 1/4" AR500 w/ steel cased 55gr FMJ as close as 20 yards and it does nothing more take off the paint. Accuracy is well w/i the range of exceptable as compared to American Eagle and Privi brass cased 55gr.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:37   #10
USMCsilver
Boat Life ©

[QUOTE=Travclem;19617865]...when you don't have a spare ...QUOTE]

Yeah... That's why I keep spare parts in my Magpul MOE grip or Vltor stock.

Spings and peices can be invaluable.

Granted, I don't have all sorts of spares in every rifle...so I could easily be just as ____ed.

Old 11-10-2012, 21:42   #11
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Yeah... That's why I keep spare parts in my Magpul MOE grip or Vltor stock.

Spings and peices can be invaluable.

Granted, I don't have all sorts of spares in every rifle...so I could easily be just as ____ed.
My main rifles all get one of these.
Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by Travclem; 11-10-2012 at 21:44..
Old 11-10-2012, 21:45   #12
USMCsilver
Boat Life ©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
My main rifles all get one of these.
That is cute.

Is that a "kit"?

Don't think I've ever seen it marketed that way.

Opine.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:18   #13
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
That is cute.

Is that a "kit"?

Don't think I've ever seen it marketed that way.

Opine.
It's a Magpul MIAD grip core modified to hold the cam pin, firing pin retainer, and a BCM bolt.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 11-11-2012, 11:00   #14
mjkeat

One other thing I thought about. Be aware that some ranges do not allow steel core/penatrator ammunition. If you plan on shooting steel plates you won't want to use it either.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:46   #15
WoodenPlank
Who?

Range use - Federal XM193 and Wolf or Tula 55gr. All of my optics get zeroed with Federal, and I generally plink with cheap crap. If you do this, keep a chamber brush and a good cleaner handy - you'll probably need it. My SBR started short stroking recently, most likely due to a fouled chamber from all the steel case.

HD/SD mags currently loaded with Hornady TAP 75gr 5.56 (8126N), but I'm looking at a switch to Federal TRU T223S 55gr TSX loads. Got a couple boxes for accuracy testing later this week.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:43   #16
cowboy1964

I shoot M193 clones simply because that's the cheapest stuff I can find easily. I'd shoot Wolf/Silver Bear if I could get it (I did manage to snag a case of Silver Bear last year - it's good stuff).

A range may not allow steel-CASED simply because they don't want to deal with the hassle of sorting out the cases and want only brass. Ranges that don't allow steel-CORES is because they are dangerous for metal targets and backstops.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-11-2012 at 13:36..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 13:19   #17
mjkeat

Let's not start the brass/steel or the cleaning/maintenance debate but shooting steel cased ammunition doesn't require any special tools or extra maintenance. Well that is my experience after shooting thousands of rounds of Tula and through classes and regular range outings in ARs that went 12months w/o any sort of cleaning or maintenance. I just don't think people should worry unnecessarily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 while shopping for baby furniture.
Old 11-11-2012, 13:40   #18
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Let's not start the brass/steel or the cleaning/maintenance debate but shooting steel cased ammunition doesn't require any special tools or extra maintenance. Well that is my experience after shooting thousands of rounds of Tula and through classes and regular range outings in ARs that went 12months w/o any sort of cleaning or maintenance. I just don't think people should worry unnecessarily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 while shopping for baby furniture.
I have had several barrels what would disagree with you on that. Both of the Colt M4A1 barrels I have had had issues running steel cased ammo. It seemed to be a combination of chamber fouling and weak ammo. My current LMT upper decided this week it would start short stroking with everything, even though no parts had changed. I did discover some noticable carbon fouling in the chamber, which I think was the culprit, since I have been shooting a decent amount of Tula lately. There was also noticeable carbon residue on any cases that were ejected.

While there are plenty of rifles out there that will gladly eat steel cased ammo, not all of them will. In my experience, it tends to be less of an issue in uppers that are either over-gassed or cut with a loose chamber.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 11-11-2012 at 13:41..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 14:06   #19
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

M-855. The twist on my DD M4 doesn't like the lighter stuff when accuracy counts.

Then again my ALL TIME FAVORITE AMMO? but of course, FREE ammo
Old 11-11-2012, 14:39   #20
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I have had several barrels what would disagree with you on that. Both of the Colt M4A1 barrels I have had had issues running steel cased ammo. It seemed to be a combination of chamber fouling and weak ammo. My current LMT upper decided this week it would start short stroking with everything, even though no parts had changed. I did discover some noticable carbon fouling in the chamber, which I think was the culprit, since I have been shooting a decent amount of Tula lately. There was also noticeable carbon residue on any cases that were ejected.

While there are plenty of rifles out there that will gladly eat steel cased ammo, not all of them will. In my experience, it tends to be less of an issue in uppers that are either over-gassed or cut with a loose chamber.
Who knows. Maybe my BCMs, DD, Spikes, White Oaks, and LWRC ( well that we know is probably over gassed ) are all over gassed w/ very loose tolerances. I have a friend who only shoots Tula out of his 6720 w/o failure.

You're right, what works for one doesn't work for another.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 while eating a gyro and listening to pop music.