GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58   #1
jollygreen
Senior Member
 
jollygreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 919
The Republicans just don't get it.

There's all this soul searching as to why Romney lost. The response from many Republicans is that we need to become more like the dimocrats.

The Pubbies just don't get it. Romney lost because conservatives are sick and tired of big government liberals masquerading as conservatives. We saw this with both Bushes, McCain and now Romney.

The answer isn't to keep moving to the left. The answer is to remember where we came from and what we represent.

Odd that the pundits at the RNC can't see it.
__________________
These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly green giants, walking the Earth with guns.
jollygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04   #2
Ragnar
Senior Member
 
Ragnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sometimes here, sometimes there
Posts: 11,720


If conservatives are so sick and tired, why did they nominate Romney? The same people who voted in the primaries also voted for him in the general election.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12   #3
jollygreen
Senior Member
 
jollygreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
If conservatives are so sick and tired, why did they nominate Romney? The same people who voted in the primaries also voted for him in the general election.
Good question. All I know is that the RNC is lamenting the fact of an apathetic voter turnout among conservatives. The reason for the apathetic voter turnout is because Romney is a liberal, regardless the ticket.

It's the same reason McCain had a lackluster performance among conservatives. Conservatives were forced to hold their noses to vote for GW's second term, but many declared they wouldn't do it again.
__________________
These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly green giants, walking the Earth with guns.
jollygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14   #4
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,534
a couple of things. before one can have a logical debate on abortion there needs to be no funding of it with our tax money. after that its a moral issue to be debated.

smoking dope, thats a states rights issue.

illegal immigration, well, thats both a states right and federal concern.

fiscal responsibility is one which neither party has owned up to lately but yes the democrats are far worse at it.

religion, thats for the individual, as is gay marriage.

what Americans want from the federal government is to be left alone, that the feds should focus on national security, foreign trade, national debt, and infrastructure. when the feds start messing about in state issue they lose voters which ever side they are on.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 11-12-2012 at 07:17..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16   #5
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,786
...niether of you get it. The reason you lost is because you don't appeal to women or Latinos.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:25   #6
jollygreen
Senior Member
 
jollygreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
...niether of you get it. The reason you lost is because you don't appeal to women or Latinos.
I disagree. If the Republicans had fielded a conservative, he would have gotten enough votes to beat zero.

Remember, zero's performance in the polls wasn't particularly stellar either.
__________________
These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly green giants, walking the Earth with guns.
jollygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32   #7
Lesh
Senior Member
 
Lesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 2,501
Send a message via AIM to Lesh Send a message via Yahoo to Lesh
I suspect that many evangelicals would not vote for a Mormon. I cant see any other way Romney got fewer votes than McCain.
__________________
"The management doesn't allow joviality with the penguin."
Lesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40   #8
Eurodriver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
...niether of you get it. The reason you lost is because you don't appeal to women or Latinos.
Oh how true you are.

The party of DEPORT THEM and God Loves Rape Babies can't expect either voting block in any significant number.

It's like the GOP saying God doesn't want you to own guns, and then the GOP wondering why the NRA endorsed the other guy.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49   #9
Captain Ron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
...niether of you get it. The reason you lost is because you don't appeal to women or Latinos.
That is not why we lost it's because people stayed home and would not vote for mitt http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...migration.html listen to Mark he hit the nail right head. We can out not Democrat a Democrat

Last edited by Captain Ron; 11-12-2012 at 07:54..
Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54   #10
Sharkey
Senior Member
 
Sharkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
a couple of things. before one can have a logical debate on abortion there needs to be no funding of it with our tax money. after that its a moral issue to be debated.

smoking dope, thats a states rights issue.

illegal immigration, well, thats both a states right and federal concern.

fiscal responsibility is one which neither party has owned up to lately but yes the democrats are far worse at it.

religion, thats for the individual, as is gay marriage.

what Americans want from the federal government is to be left alone, that the feds should focus on national security, foreign trade, national debt, and infrastructure. when the feds start messing about in state issue they lose voters which ever side they are on.
Yep.
The GOP lost and the Dems won for several reasons, not just one. I will say their idea to move to the center is a losing proposition. Maybe they won't nominate a second place finisher from the prior election. Cruz won in TX and he was put up by who? Oh yeah, the TP.

Hey gays, live together and vow to stay together but don't call it a marriage. Hey immigrants, try to assimilate like the gays do. God loves all children even the very small percentage of "rape babies" and the huge number of the unborn murdered for convenience.
__________________
Our perception of God determines our communication with Him.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21   #11
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
That is not why we lost it's because people stayed home and would not vote for mitt http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...migration.html listen to Mark he hit the nail right head. We can out not Democrat a Democrat

My God, y'all still don't get it and once again have actually no idea why you lost. ....a 2nd time.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23   #12
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygreen View Post
There's all this soul searching as to why Romney lost. The response from many Republicans is that we need to become more like the dimocrats.

The Pubbies just don't get it. Romney lost because conservatives are sick and tired of big government liberals masquerading as conservatives. We saw this with both Bushes, McCain and now Romney.

The answer isn't to keep moving to the left. The answer is to remember where we came from and what we represent.

Odd that the pundits at the RNC can't see it.
You have just defined yourself as part of a small minority that can not possible elect a President. Republicans can move to the center or keep taking what the Democrats hand them.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42   #13
IvanVic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygreen View Post
I disagree. If the Republicans had fielded a conservative, he would have gotten enough votes to beat zero.

Remember, zero's performance in the polls wasn't particularly stellar either.
Do you think Michele Bachmann would have won the general election?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46   #14
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,534
on another note, evangelicals not voting for romney because he is a morman makes no sense to me, christians didnt vote for another christian because of the sect but instead voted for or allowed a supposed muslim to get elected....brilliant i say, simply brilliant.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 11-12-2012 at 08:46..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11   #15
callihan_44
INFIDEL
 
callihan_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Flyover,USA
Posts: 2,158
repubs becoming dem-lite= third party rise
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45   #16
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hog Jaw, Arkansas
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesh View Post
I suspect that many evangelicals would not vote for a Mormon. I cant see any other way Romney got fewer votes than McCain.
DINGDINGDING!!!!!

DINGDINGDING!!!!!!!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

Gee, how many times have I posted that I don't understand how someone the a Evangelical Christian could vote for a Mormon Cult member.

Looks like they didn't.

I also posted that I know a couple of Bible Thumpers that did not vote this time because they could not vote for a Cult member and would not vote for Obama. I also know a couple that voted against a Cult member.

The Right has to have the Evangelical crowd to win an election.

No Evangalical crowd, no win in the election.

Pretty simple.

Spyder

Posted with TapTalk from my ObamaPhone
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55   #17
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,676


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
If conservatives are so sick and tired, why did they nominate Romney?
Conservatives didn't nominate Romney. Neocons did.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18   #18
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Yep.
Hey gays, live together and vow to stay together but don't call it a marriage. Hey immigrants, try to assimilate like the gays do. God loves all children even the very small percentage of "rape babies" and the huge number of the unborn murdered for convenience.
And that mentality is why the republicans lost the gays, the minorities and the women.

It should be "Let the gays do what they want, let the women do what they want, and try to help the illegals become legal."

That's the stance the republican party needs to take if they want to win. Leave people alone, let them do what they want, and stop trying to make government as big and intrusive as possible, and people might start voting republican.

Besides, if you make the illegals legal, and get them official jobs, they start paying taxes. Think of how much quicker we could erase the debt if every illegal paid taxes.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54   #19
dukeblue91
Senior Member
 
dukeblue91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,067
It is much simpler then all this stuff.
The real reason is salesmanship and charisma which Romney and McCain sorely lacked in but Oborrow has in spades.
Enthusiasm is highly contagious and when delivered with skill and charisma will move people that normally sit on the sideline.

Quite simple really if you know anything about sales strategies.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15   #20
UtahGlocker
Senior Member
 
UtahGlocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Posts: 1,122
Republicans are the party of exclusion. That's why they lost.

Poor people: "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what...My job is not to worry about those people." Romney

Women: “I struggled with it myself for a long time, and I realized that life is a gift from God, and I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something God intended to happen,” Republican Richard Mourdock said, explaining that he would allow for exceptions to an abortion ban when a mother’s life is in danger.

Homosexuals: The [Republican] platform affirms the rights of states and the federal government not to recognize same-sex marriage. It backs a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

This is just a small sample of how Republicans have gone out of their way to exclude or offend groups of people. Republicans should get out of big government control with social issues and stay on message about fiscal conservativism. They lost because they are hyprocrits, touting that they are the party of small government while at the same time advocating government control in social issues.
__________________
Patriotism is supporting your country all of the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Big Dawg #1005
G30/G36
UtahGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31   #21
English
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London
Posts: 5,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygreen View Post
I disagree. If the Republicans had fielded a conservative, he would have gotten enough votes to beat zero.

Remember, zero's performance in the polls wasn't particularly stellar either.
No they wouldn't. If the Republicans were what you call conservative, only conservatives would vote for them, and there just are not enough conservatives of that type. There is probably still, though not for much longer as the demographics continue to develop, a majority for fiscal conservatism, but all the strange baggage that goes with your idea of conservatism frightens too many more than the Democrats do.

If you actually want to gain power, as opposed to moaning about the lack of conservatism in the Republican Party, you need to go with the things that are attainable. That is, stick with fiscal conservatism, and that is hard enough, but stop imposing weird ideas about rape and abortion on the Republican Party and on its selection of candidates via the Primaries. As much as anything, the Tea Party lost this election. This is not a matter of having candidates who are clever and devious enough to hide their beliefs but of having candidates who don't believe those things. Certainly don't select a Mormon as a Presidential candidate, and I say that as someone who was pleasantly surprised with his presentation and think he would have been better than Obama.

Obama should have lost. It was simple incompence on the conservative side that gave him another 4 years.

Your demographic situation, by the way, is a product of long term socialist planning and the Republians did not have the wit to stop it when they could have done so back around the end of the 60s. You are almost certainly doomed to a socialist future.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40   #22
Guss
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,343
You mess with Big Bird and you're gonna pay for it.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:48   #23
dukeblue91
Senior Member
 
dukeblue91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGlocker View Post
Republicans are the party of exclusion. That's why they lost.

Poor people: "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what...My job is not to worry about those people." Romney

Women: “I struggled with it myself for a long time, and I realized that life is a gift from God, and I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something God intended to happen,” Republican Richard Mourdock said, explaining that he would allow for exceptions to an abortion ban when a mother’s life is in danger.

Homosexuals: The [Republican] platform affirms the rights of states and the federal government not to recognize same-sex marriage. It backs a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

This is just a small sample of how Republicans have gone out of their way to exclude or offend groups of people. Republicans should get out of big government control with social issues and stay on message about fiscal conservativism. They lost because they are hyprocrits, touting that they are the party of small government while at the same time advocating government control in social issues.
I'm sorry but that whole thing about the 47% was taken totally out of context and only a small soundbite was published to make it sound like this.

He was making a point about raising taxes on the Middle class and the rich and pointed out that 40 something % do not currently pay taxes anyway and any raise of such would not effect them and he has not to worry about hurting them.

As far as the rest you wrote those are my believes too and the reason I voted republican across the ticket.
And there are very many people that have the same or similar believes and will not vote for republicans if they change it to more to the left.
So most likely they would lose as many as they would gain if that was changed.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 13:46   #24
UtahGlocker
Senior Member
 
UtahGlocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeblue91 View Post
I'm sorry but that whole thing about the 47% was taken totally out of context and only a small soundbite was published to make it sound like this.

He was making a point about raising taxes on the Middle class and the rich and pointed out that 40 something % do not currently pay taxes anyway and any raise of such would not effect them and he has not to worry about hurting them.
I know it was spun by the media and is pretty much true, but Romney didn't need to say it. It was low hanging fruit for the liberals. I wonder how many of those 47% would have voted for Romney before hearing the media's spin on it. Enough to determine the outcome of the election? Yes, I think so.

Quote:
As far as the rest you wrote those are my believes too and the reason I voted republican across the ticket.
And there are very many people that have the same or similar believes and will not vote for republicans if they change it to more to the left.
So most likely they would lose as many as they would gain if that was changed.
So, you believe in not only those views on abortion, even in the event of rape, and on gay marriage personally, but that the government should enforce your view onto everybody else even if they don't agree with it?

The winning solution doesn't require that the Republicans change their views or that you change your beliefs. It only requires that the Republicans state it isn't a Federal issue and leave it up to the States to decide. If you expect to have your views respected, then at a minimum you need to respect that other people may not share them and move the decision making closer to the people. The Republican approach of Federal mandate for Religious ideals is a far worse slippery slope than allowing abortion in the case of rape or gay marriage. It leads to religious dictatorships like that found in the mid-east. What would you say if the Muslims passed laws to have your wife cover her face?
__________________
Patriotism is supporting your country all of the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Big Dawg #1005
G30/G36
UtahGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 16:08   #25
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
a couple of things. before one can have a logical debate on abortion there needs to be no funding of it with our tax money. after that its a moral issue to be debated.

smoking dope, thats a states rights issue.

illegal immigration, well, thats both a states right and federal concern.

fiscal responsibility is one which neither party has owned up to lately but yes the democrats are far worse at it.

religion, thats for the individual, as is gay marriage.

what Americans want from the federal government is to be left alone, that the feds should focus on national security, foreign trade, national debt, and infrastructure. when the feds start messing about in state issue they lose voters which ever side they are on.
That's all I want from government, just to be left the **** alone. Tax me what you must but stay out of my healthcare and out of my life.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 752
185 Members
567 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42