Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-05-2012, 23:15   #1
kai920

Recoil Spring Issue

I have a Glock 27, which has a couple thousand rounds at most through it.

The recoil spring no longer sits on the barrel lug properly. FWIW, it has always slipped down a little out of the rounded grove, but now its slipping down so far that its barely hanging on to the lug, and when I attempt to remove the slide, its hanging up inside the receiver, which then requires me to forcibly pull on the slide to get it off.

I though maybe the recoil spring was worn out, so I replaced it with brand new one, but it is still doing the same thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
kai920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09   #2
voyager4520
-----

I can't imagine where it would be hanging up, maybe there's some plastic flashing that came off of the front frame rail insert and the base of the guide rod is getting caught on a lip of plastic.

Gunsmithing

It's normal for the guide rod to come out of that notch on the barrel lug quite far, but it's not normal for the guide rod to hang up on something in the frame. If you find some abnormal lip of plastic in the frame around where the guide rod base would seat, you could call Glock, speak to the Warranty Service Department, and explain the issue to them. If you can, try taking some good pictures of the abnormal lip of plastic and offer to email the pictures to them.

Last edited by voyager4520; 03-06-2012 at 09:12..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:34   #3
Prince Herman

FWIW, the rear of the recoil guide must engage the rounded cut-out under the barrel. Photos would be helpful.
Old 03-06-2012, 15:51   #4
cciman

It is normal for the rear of the RSA to flip off the lug easily when it is out of the slide, but you must seat it correctly to replace the slide. When seated properly and the slide replaced, it will work fine. If seated improperly, when the slide is replaced it will not function correctly.

CAREFULLY seat the spring/rod in place, then replace the slide.

Those pictures of little imperfections in the polymer are normal in that area. There is actually metal imbedded underneath that area in the polymer, and is a very strong area of the frame.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08   #5
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai920 View Post

The recoil spring no longer sits on the barrel lug properly. FWIW, it has always slipped down a little out of the rounded grove, but now its slipping down so far that its barely hanging on to the lug, and when I attempt to remove the slide, its hanging up inside the receiver, which then requires me to forcibly pull on the slide to get it off.

I though maybe the recoil spring was worn out, so I replaced it with brand new one, but it is still doing the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Keeping this, 'apples for apples' the correct name for that, 'notch' in the barrel lug - the one that the head of the RGR sits in when the slide is off the pistol - is, 'ASSEMBLY NOTCH'. The reason it's called an assembly notch is because the ONLY TIME the head of the RGR actually sits in that notch is when the slide is off the frame.

When the pistol is fully assembled the head of the RGR should sit butted up against that flat vertical wall in the front of the frame that sits directly underneath (and slightly behind) the assembly notch.

Try pressing the pad of your thumb against the rod as you're removing it from the frame. Move slowly for, about, the first half inch of travel after you pull down on the slide lock tabs, too.

PS: From what you've said so far, I don't think there's anything wrong with your G-27. Only with your technique in trying to get the slide off the frame.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:17   #6
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
I can't imagine where it would be hanging up, maybe there's some plastic flashing that came off of the front frame rail insert and the base of the guide rod is getting caught on a lip of plastic.

Gunsmithing

It's normal for the guide rod to come out of that notch on the barrel lug quite far, but it's not normal for the guide rod to hang up on something in the frame. If you find some abnormal lip of plastic in the frame around where the guide rod base would seat, you could call Glock, speak to the Warranty Service Department, and explain the issue to them. If you can, try taking some good pictures of the abnormal lip of plastic and offer to email the pictures to them.
The arrows appear to be pointing to areas that didn't get plastic during the pouring process. The liquid is injected into the mold and there might have been air or some other debris in that location.

I don't think it will harm the frame tho.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35   #7
tucojuanramirez

I've got the same problems. spring out of the notch and little pieces of polymer lime in the photo.
tucojuanramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:27   #8
voyager4520
-----

It's normal for the spring to come out of the crescent-shaped notch in the barrel lug upon field strip with all Glocks. Just make sure to manually re-seat it before reassembly.

The voids in the polymer in that area are common in sub-compacts and Gen4's. Unless the guide rod is binding up on one of them or the metal underneath begins to rust, it's not a problem.
Old 04-09-2012, 15:17   #9
tucojuanramirez

thank u very much

thank u man, it's my first glock (19 gen 4) and i was worry about those little problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
It's normal for the spring to come out of the crescent-shaped notch in the barrel lug upon field strip with all Glocks. Just make sure to manually re-seat it before reassembly.

The voids in the polymer in that area are common in sub-compacts and Gen4's. Unless the guide rod is binding up on one of them or the metal underneath begins to rust, it's not a problem.
Old 05-14-2012, 20:47   #10
Redstate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai920 View Post

I though maybe the recoil spring was worn out, so I replaced it with brand new one, but it is still doing the same thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Have you figured it out yet? I am having a somewhat similar issue on my new Gen 4 G26. I posted my thread in General Glocking. My RSA is catching in the cut out for the serial number.
Redstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:14   #11
tucojuanramirez

gen 3 or 4? i have seen a mountain of posts in glocktalk and other forum, speeking about this... feature of glock... I also studied the mechanics of glock pistols... and in my opinion it's normal that the recoil spring no longer sits on the barrel lug properly! But when the spring slipping down so far that its barely hanging on to the lug, it's not so normal. If you have got a g27gen4 may be that is the wrong RSA, too much "hard", and so the barrel lug don't hang up properly the spring . . .
Old 05-15-2012, 18:39   #12
cciman

observations looking for a problem
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 18:52   #13
Redstate

tucojuanramirez, it is a Gen 4 G26. More details on my recent thread in General Glocking entitled "Gen 4 G26 RSA Issues".
Old 05-22-2012, 21:43   #14
Redstate

Got a new Glock RSA, 0-8, and the issue seems to be resolved.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:38   #15
JohnnieBush

This was my solution!

You might want to take a look at my SOLUTION to the same problem at this link on our forum:

[url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421085&highlight=Gen+G26+RSA+Issues[/url]

Please read the Last Post from JohnnieBush
JohnnieBush is offline   Reply With Quote