Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2012, 18:38   #1
ADK_40GLKr

Figured out why LGS recommended HS6

Thanks to several of you for setting me straight!

I thought a set of scoops was all I needed. But scale and bullet puller have been invaluable. I've had to use the puller a lot less lately.

OK, newb that I was - uh, still AM - I thought .5 CC of HS6 could be metered out with just a scoop (because that's what the reloading tech at my LGS showed me.) Your patient (mostly) advice encouraged me to get a little more equipment before loading and shooting a lot of mistakes. Have since loaded 2-3 hundred .40's and 100 .45 GAPs, all with Power Pistol, and today got back to my .45GAP Lee chart.

With a bag of 200gr TMJs I took a look at my Lee chart (which gives VERY LITTLE data about .45GAP) and there was an entry for 200 gr FMJ that called for a minimum of 7.0 grains of HS6. So I dumped my little scoop of HS6 onto my scale, and it weighed exactly 7.0 grains. AAMOF the majority of the 100 loads I built today weighed 7.0 on the first dip and most were within +/- 0.1 of that mark.

I guess my LGS guy figured that would be the simplest load for a newb to use, as just the scoop would not vary much more than 0.1 grains one way or the other and still be safe.

I'd had a few fail to go into battery last week because I thought I'd be "frugal" and try to reload damaged bullets. This week, I made sure all my cases were properly flared, and took my G38 barrel to the bench with me and spot checked several of my loads to make sure they'd fit in the barrel. I was very careful THIS week, not to mess up any bullets, so I think I'll have a better run at IDPA practice this Wednesday.

Well, thanks to you all again, I'm learning!

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 11-11-2012 at 18:45..
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 18:54   #2
countrygun

It's a great hobby (or whatever you call it) and it really helps to have the best you can in "meauring" devices, be it weight, length, diameter etc. eventually you get a chronograph to measure that part. eliminating guesswork is the safe and efficient way to do it. If you lucky, learning that the hard way only gets you experience with the bullet puller, and/or a dowell and a mallet, if you are unlucky....well........

Remember, "If something doesn't seem right, figure it out before proceeding"

Good luck and safe shooting.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote