SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:46   #1
JoleBole
Mr.Glock

Need help with magwell for a full size 1911

Hi guys. I need advice for adding a magwell on my 1911. I have a Ruger SR1911 which I think is same dimensions as most full size 1911's. I did some research on magwells but because I haven't added any aftermarkets parts (except sights) I don't wanna make a mistake with ordering the wrong parts.

Now, can I add just a magwell, something like this Wilson Combat - or its a better solution to go with a Mainspring Housing with Magazine Well ? Here's what I found so far...
Option 1: Wilson Combat Speed-Chute
Option 2: Kimber
Option 3: Nighthawk Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by JoleBole; 11-12-2012 at 14:16..
JoleBole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:13   #2
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

I've used S&A MSH/magwells and although they are nice, I prefer the 2 piece Nighthawk Custom type. The NHC type donot need a screw, but use a spring loaded bearing between the 2 pieces and is as tight as a 1 piece when installed and I haven't had a need to modify the magwell for a tight fight. I also prefer the 25lpi checkering on the NHC as apposed to the 20lpi on the S&A.

Here's the NHC set-up on my SR1911. No fitting was needed.

1911 Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:39   #3
dakrat

I have used many magwells on the market. my favorite is Techwell http://www.techwearusa.com/techwell_system.asp
Old 11-12-2012, 18:05   #4
JoleBole
Mr.Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
I've used S&A MSH/magwells and although they are nice, I prefer the 2 piece Nighthawk Custom type. The NHC type donot need a screw, but use a spring loaded bearing between the 2 pieces and is as tight as a 1 piece when installed and I haven't had a need to modify the magwell for a tight fight. I also prefer the 25lpi checkering on the NHC as apposed to the 20lpi on the S&A.

1911 Forums
That NHC looks great on that SR1911! If you say there was no fitting req, that will save me few extra $$ on a gunsmith. On the midwayusa page the title says blue finish and on the NHC site its listed as carbon steel. I hope its the same finish color?

Old 11-12-2012, 18:22   #5
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoleBole View Post
That NHC looks great on that SR1911! If you say there was no fitting req, that will save me few extra $$ on a gunsmith. On the midwayusa page the title says blue finish and on the NHC site its listed as carbon steel. I hope its the same finish color?
It's blued steel.

Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 00:41   #6
JoleBole
Mr.Glock

Quote:
It's blued steel.
Is it similar finish to that on the original MSH on the SR1911 ?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:30   #7
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

None of the above. My vote is for the one piece round butt from NH...sans lanyard loop

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26   #8
AK74play

Quote:
Hi guys. I need advice for adding a magwell on my 1911. I have a Ruger SR1911 which I think is same dimensions as most full size 1911's. I did some research on magwells but because I haven't added any aftermarkets parts (except sights) I don't wanna make a mistake with ordering the wrong parts.

Now, can I add just a magwell, something like this Wilson Combat - or its a better solution to go with a Mainspring Housing with Magazine Well ? Here's what I found so far...
Any of these are fine peices. I have 2 of them in use now but have also used the other in the past. The Nighthawk and the Wilson are practically identical in design. I have the Wilson on my SR 1911 and my PT 1911 Taurus and the Nighthawk on 2 Kimbers. All three should fit you Ruger very nicely. I lean toward the Wilson for my taiste because it has a small allen set screw in the bottom that snugs up real tight if your frame is slightly on the short side. I think you will be very happy with any of them and they are all offered in Blue or Stainless. The flat blue matches the black finish on the SR excellent.
Old 11-18-2012, 15:47   #9
4Rules

Quote:

Option 4: Smith & Alexander
Option 5: Heinie

Most of the above is available from Brownells, who have a 100% your-satisfaction-guaranteed-forever warranty; you can buy with confidence.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 16:01   #10
F106 Fan

I used a Dremel tool... I also cut down the ejection port on my first Government Model.

Richard
Old 11-20-2012, 22:39   #11
happy seal

Can I add a well to an STI duty one?

"Off to the Salt Mine, My Friend"
happy seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 23:37   #12
JoleBole
Mr.Glock

Quote:

1911 Forums
Thanks to your advice I got the Night Hawk Custom msh/magwell from Midway (it was on sale for $61.90). Installed in 5 min and as you said it was a perfect drop in fit on the SR1911. Thanks again!