Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 18:20   #1
eric1

Let the gouging begin

Went into my LGS to look at AR's with my brother, he wants one to hunt Coyote's. Looked at the S&W M&P OR for a base build. They were asking $1,399! This is normally an $850 gun. I know they can charge whatever they want but that seems a tad excessive.
eric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:25   #2
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

If there is a local ffl who will recieve firearms, you can get one from buds for 873+ fees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:35   #3
smokin762

I took a half day vacation last Friday. After work, I stopped by Wal-Mart. They were just about out of all ammunition but they did have a few ARís in the display. They even had a Colt in the display, it was around $950.00 or something close to that.

The LGS, all the shelves and displays were empty. I asked the guy is they were going out of business. He told me, the day after the election they sold out of everything.

This past weekend, I went to the Gun Show. The place was packed. I took a handgun that I didnít like and thought I would walk it around. I had six hits on it. The dealers tried low balling me. I sold it to the seventh guy who was happy to buy it from me. This was within the first 20 minutes of getting inside the door.

Supply and demand.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:52   #4
Cole125
Silver Membership

Not surprising and it will only get worse. One thing for certain, there are lots of hoarders out there!
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:00   #5
GAFinch

People really need to realize that any new ban won't be done via Congress and won't, therefore, exempt previously-owned guns. If you need one to fill a needed gap, fine, but don't waste your money buying extra ones. Having said that - the panic, of course, is here to stay.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:13   #6
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
People really need to realize that any new ban won't be done via Congress and won't, therefore, exempt previously-owned guns. If you need one to fill a needed gap, fine, but don't waste your money buying extra ones. Having said that - the panic, of course, is here to stay.
The worst thing POTUS can do is declare that semi auto rifles have no sporting purpose and classify them as destructive devices, requiring registration and preventing import. New semi auto rifles would then require a $200 tax stamp.

The classification as destructive devices could be challenged in court and might be overturned.

An out right ban requiring confiscation would have no basis in law, would very likely be overturned, and even if upheld would require that the feds pay current market prices for the guns that they take, so "wasting money" is not an accurate description. Wasting time and effort may be, if one is the type to turn it in and make the best of being enslaved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:20   #7
vettely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
Not surprising and it will only get worse. One thing for certain, there are lots of hoarders out there!
Guilty here.

Sat. I got a Sig M400 with all magpul furniture and a super nice nylon case at Walmart for $917. A very good deal.
Old 11-12-2012, 21:23   #8
boomhower

If your really worried stock up on mags as that's the only thing I can see him even having a chance at getting passed. An AWB isn't getting through congress. Give it a month or two and it'll calm down.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:34   #9
GAFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
The worst thing POTUS can do is declare that semi auto rifles have no sporting purpose and classify them as destructive devices, requiring registration and preventing import. New semi auto rifles would then require a $200 tax stamp.

The classification as destructive devices could be challenged in court and might be overturned.

An out right ban requiring confiscation would have no basis in law, would very likely be overturned, and even if upheld would require that the feds pay current market prices for the guns that they take, so "wasting money" is not an accurate description. Wasting time and effort may be, if one is the type to turn it in and make the best of being enslaved.
You're forgetting about the SCOTUS. The current minority believe that individuals have no right to own guns. Even for the tiny minority of people who would actually not turn in their guns, they would only likely need 1 gun (and possibly 1 handgun) per person. Sadly, history just doesn't favor societies successfully resisting gun grabs...men get tied down to their wives and children. I hope I'm wrong, but I guess we'll find out.
Old 11-12-2012, 23:08   #10
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Oh well, all my guns were lost in that tragic boating fire accident... got nothing to turn in.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28   #11
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Yeah same here. I think my ex-wife took them all.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59   #12
sappy13

I almost went to a gunshow last weekend that was in town. Then i remembered what the shows were like after obama got elected the first time...so needless to say i saved my 15 bucks and skipped it
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:35   #13
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

It never fails. Do you think it's as much of a frenzy as 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Oh well, all my guns were lost in that tragic boating fire accident... got nothing to turn in.
Yeah me too. I took my safe duck hunting and my dog tipped the boat over.
Old 11-13-2012, 14:41   #14
PlasticGuy

I don't think it's quite as bad as 2008, but it's close. Distributors at getting pretty light on product, and prices at the distributor level have already started climbing. Why have a sale on something you would sell anyway, and that will be hard to replace? I don't think we'll be seeing many good deals for a while.
Old 11-13-2012, 14:45   #15
TheExplorer

Same by me. People dropping thousands on ammo.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 14:46   #16
TheExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck TX View Post
It never fails. Do you think it's as much of a frenzy as 2008?
I think so, but I can't recall how long that "panic" lasted. The election is still fresh, so hopefully this madness will stop in a week or two.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 15:04   #17
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

4 years ago sales remained elevated through the 2nd quarter of 2009.

Old 11-13-2012, 20:39   #18
blinz73

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
Guilty here.

Sat. I got a Sig M400 with all magpul furniture and a super nice nylon case at Walmart for $917. A very good deal.
Same here, but I choose the Colt 6920 for $1057.
blinz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 20:53   #19
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
4 years ago sales remained elevated through the 2nd quarter of 2009.
This time the initial buying panic does not seem nearly as bad as last time, but I doubt the sales are going to go back down for a while, if ever until Obongo is out of office.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 21:04   #20
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
This time the initial buying panic does not seem nearly as bad as last time, but I doubt the sales are going to go back down for a while, if ever until Obongo is out of office.
Might not be anything left to buy by then.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote