Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 20:01   #1
d123gaw

Night shooting/practice

How often do those of you with night sights/lights/laser practice shooting in dark conditions?
I used my laser max tonight after sunset and was very pleased.

Last edited by d123gaw; 11-12-2012 at 20:02..
d123gaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 20:29   #2
TommyOC

If I knew of a place near me where I could, I would since I just got a lasermax today For now I just need to get used to it at my regular range
Old 11-12-2012, 20:52   #3
JBS

Night sights, several times a year.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:24   #4
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

In many places it is illegal to shoot after dark. I always thought if I lived in the country I would get a suppressor and do a little bit of night practice.

Being a I live in the city, I just go to the bad section of town and have it out with a rival gang.

Old 11-12-2012, 21:39   #5
TommyOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
In many places it is illegal to shoot after dark. I always thought if I lived in the country I would get a suppressor and do a little bit of night practice.

Being a I live in the city, I just go to the bad section of town and have it out with a rival gang.

Old 11-12-2012, 22:43   #6
WheelGunFan

I wish I was joking, but during storm sandy I had no power. The family went out to visit friends who had power and light so I stayed home.

Bored and alone, I setup targets and used my airsoft pistol which has a rail and can take night sights.

I practiced going through the house taking out the bad guys from the second floor all the way to the basement and each room.

Gave me practice in two areas. Know my house in the dark and using my laser and flashlight. I will admit, the first few runs I sucked.

Later that night my brother came by on the way home to check up on us. Told what I was doing and he laughed. He then helped by changing up the targets and positions for me so I could do some more runs.

Once again, I sucked but I got better.

I stubbed my toe more than I want to remember and I did a tumble down the stairs on the rug with only my socks on. It was good practice I believe and plan to give it another go. Short of some IDPA event that they do in the dark or a 3 gun event in the dark, that is the best I will have for practice.

I am sure someone will say it was stupid but I am open to ideas.

Last edited by WheelGunFan; 11-12-2012 at 22:44..
WheelGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 22:53   #7
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelGunFan View Post
I wish I was joking, but during storm sandy I had no power. The family went out to visit friends who had power and light so I stayed home.

Bored and alone, I setup targets and used my airsoft pistol which has a rail and can take night sights.

I practiced going through the house taking out the bad guys from the second floor all the way to the basement and each room.

Gave me practice in two areas. Know my house in the dark and using my laser and flashlight. I will admit, the first few runs I sucked.

Later that night my brother came by on the way home to check up on us. Told what I was doing and he laughed. He then helped by changing up the targets and positions for me so I could do some more runs.

Once again, I sucked but I got better.

I stubbed my toe more than I want to remember and I did a tumble down the stairs on the rug with only my socks on. It was good practice I believe and plan to give it another go. Short of some IDPA event that they do in the dark or a 3 gun event in the dark, that is the best I will have for practice.

I am sure someone will say it was stupid but I am open to ideas.
That is not stupid.
Old 11-13-2012, 14:16   #8
gunsnhoses

I just took my 1st low light/night shooting class last week. It was for rifles, not pistols, but still had alot of merit for both. In my opinion this is a must. Using a light and your sights when there is alot of smoke from discharged weapons is something that you need to experience and train for. Light techniques are crucial to not blind yourself around cover/concealment. I think that the statistics are, at least for law enforcement, that 90% or more of all shootings take place in low light situations. Pepare accordingly.
gunsnhoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 17:19   #9
ADK_40GLKr

A couple weeks ago we Pistol Guys at the R & G Club did an IDPA type stage with only the lights in the back of the room and our flashlights.

We were sitting in a chair ("watching TV") when someone starts banging on the door. We'd say "Honey go to the safe room with the cell phone and call 911. Get the Pistol and lock yourself in" Then we'd stand, fire 2 rounds at each of 3"bad guys", reload, and shoot 'em again.

I think it'd be better if we had to identify the targets as threats before shootiing, maybe having them turn around and one be your kid, or something like that, and then do a Mozambique at the TWO threats, or randomly just one threat with all 6 shots at it.
Old 11-13-2012, 17:30   #10
Batesmotel

I mix some into my dry practice. Basically keeping my flashlight technique up. I shoot live at night about once a year. I have a nice deserted place to do it.
Old 11-13-2012, 20:25   #11
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post

I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 20:58   #12
SJ 40

This is night shooting with black powder that is. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 21:46   #13
M2 Carbine

Quote:
How often do those of you with night sights/lights/laser practice shooting in dark conditions?
I average laser, laser/light, low light/dark shooting 2-3 times a week (home range).
General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

I'm a big fan of lasers and laser lights. IMO no other low light sighting system comes even close to the accuracy and speed of a laser or laser/light equipped gun in low light and darkness.
All my defense guns, handguns, rifles and shotguns, and several practice guns are equipped with (good) lasers or Streamlight TLR-2 laser/lights.

Here's some of them.

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 11-14-2012 at 09:29..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 21:47   #14
M2 Carbine

General Glocking

I've torn both my shoulders, so this Crimson Trace equipped Ruger SR22 is getting a LOT of low light shooting now. Mostly shooting while moving while there is still enough light to identify the target.
General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking
Old 11-13-2012, 21:47   #15
M2 Carbine

General Glocking

By the time I shot the 40 yard target it was so dark the target was a gray blur but it's still easy to keep all shots near center.
General Glocking

General Glocking

Plinking when there was still just enough light to see the target at 52 yards. (standing, two hands)
38 S&W J Frame and Crimson Trace Laser grips.
It's interesting that I knew the battery was failing but I still had time to fire about 30 shots before the battery was dead.
General Glocking

In complete darkness using a Streamlight TLR-2 laser/light equipped S&W M&P 15-22, 25 yards, fast firing from the hip. It's almost like cheating.
General Glocking

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 11-13-2012 at 22:11..