Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-22-2012, 21:34   #1
Grabbrass

Took the red dot off my Mk III.

I've had a Millett SP1 on my Mk III Hunter since just after I bought it about 5 years ago. This week, I took it off. It was boring to shoot, felt top-heavy, and despite what others say about red dots, it doesn't seem to get me on target quicker - just the opposite. With the factory iron sights (notch in the back, hi-viz thingy up front) I'm on the target more quickly, though not precisely. I can make the soda can dance all day. I'm happy. With the red dot, its constant jittering bothers me and I tend to try to correct to a degree of precision that I don't need in freehand pistol shooting. If punching a single hole at 25y is my goal, I should get my rifle. Ya know what I'm saying?

If I were trying to shoot in a bullseye match then maybe it'd be better having it on there ... but if I were shooting in a bullseye match I'd probably be using something better than a Millett SP1 (which is not a bad red dot for its price).

I'm holding onto the SP1, to put on a 10/22 carbine. Maybe it'll work better for me there.

Anyone else come back to iron sights after putting a red dot on their pistol?
Grabbrass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:02   #2
ede
Bama's Friend

I've got CMores on quite a few pistols and a 1522 and never took one off. I might of bought the same pistol to use iron sights. Have EO Techs on a couple rifles and never wanted to take them off either.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 15:13   #3
Grabbrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
I've got CMores on quite a few pistols and a 1522 and never took one off. I might of bought the same pistol to use iron sights. Have EO Techs on a couple rifles and never wanted to take them off either.
Those are rather high-end, open design red dots. I think I might like something like that considerably more than the 30mm tube style Millett SP1. Question is, do I want to spend as much on an optic sight as I spent on the gun itself? Not saying that would be a bad thing, just ... well for that kind of money I could buy another gun.
Grabbrass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 23:55   #4
mongo356

Im thinking of putting a primary arms on a mkiii.

Had it on a 10/22 but with an all aluminum receiver, dot & mount i think it was shifting poa in cold weather. It turned cold today and i missed 5 for 5 squirrels. Figured something was up took it back to the truck and it was hitting about 1-1/2" low left at 25yrd.

Just a theory right now....may be the dot as well.

Last edited by mongo356; 11-23-2012 at 23:59..
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:18   #5
ede
Bama's Friend

Just counted and I have CMores on 6 pistols, AR1522, two EO Techs on ARs and a MatchDot UltraDot on a TacSol XRing and a CMore on wifes .22 Steel pistol. I bought an AimPoint clone for around 90$ for my 1522 and it quit working after about 30 minutes of use. That's my last time spending money on cheap optics. I know at times it looks better to spend less on optics and get another gun but I think in the long run you're ahead going with good stuff. I get a little bit of a discount on the CMores but the discount isn't what made me buy the CMores.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:53   #6
harleypilot

I have a 30mm Ultra Dot on my Mk III. I have had a couple of others in the past on a Mk II and on a S&W .38 I used for PPC.
I never had a single problem with any of them. They always held zero perfectly and never broke.
I have seen them mounted on the slides of 1911 .45s, and the owners also said they had no problems.

Jim
Old 12-09-2012, 23:59   #7
NailShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post

.... It turned cold today and i missed 5 for 5 squirrels. Figured something was up took it back to the truck and it was hitting about 1-1/2" low left at 25yrd.

Just a theory right now....may be the dot as well.

Sometimes changing brands of ammo will give a diff point of impact but usually not quite that much. I have a few 22 pistols with dots and try to run the same ammo as what I sighted them in with (same 500 rd box if possible) for varmint control.

Nail
NailShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 14:22   #8
jtp0828

I always laugh at big huge red dots on little mark 3s. However I recently found a style that I am liking. Have you tried the Micros? I am using a doctor, but the delta point and trijicon are really nice. They get on point fast and knock squirrels clean out at 25 and further!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by jtp0828; 03-03-2013 at 00:15..
jtp0828 is offline   Reply With Quote