Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:41   #1
Texanmile

Most "preppers" will die during WROL

Veteran talks about his thoughts on "prepping". Straight forward conversation I think a lot need to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi6DB...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by Texanmile; 01-20-2013 at 10:43..
Texanmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47   #2
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

The UNprepared will die first........

Old 01-20-2013, 11:01   #3
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08   #4
rhino673

That was a great video. Thanks for posting it.
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:33   #5
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

I couldn't agree more.

How many rounds have you put downrange in the last 6 months?

How often do you dryfire your weapon?

I'm guessing I'm gonna get people saying that they don't need to do that anymore and that dryfiring is for beginners.

You can aquire muscle memory through repetition but if you don't use it, you will lose it.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:48   #6
jdavionic
NRA Member

Good video. I think he overlooked some other reasons why many preppers will die - e.g., solely focusing on firearms.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 17:26   #7
Aceman

I'll say it forever and a day: HAve enough water, food, and meds, and you may not even need a gun. And having a 4" .357 and a 12g that you actually know how to use will beat anyone with an AR can't shoot past 25yds or clear a jam quickly.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 17:52   #8
PaulMason

OK - I think he had good intentions. I don't think it has much value for preppers.

The Bad
He talks a lot about what SHTF is not - a lot of straw man arguments.
He talks about what war is like and he thinks that is what SHTF will be like. 'When the light go out. It will be a full blown war.'
He does not tell us what will spark it.
He talks a lot about weapons but no other preps.

The Good.
He says people underestermate the bad guy.
A pistol is a back up weapon.
A basic rifle and sight is best, don't get fancy.

I didn't get much out of the video.

Yes, many preppers will get killed. But, will they get killed in a greater or same degree then the average joe? I don't think so.

Last edited by PaulMason; 01-20-2013 at 17:53..
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 18:01   #9
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Most will die if it come to prolonged WROL. It'll be unlike anything most have seen

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 18:03   #10
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
I'll say it forever and a day: HAve enough water, food, and meds, and you may not even need a gun. And having a 4" .357 and a 12g that you actually know how to use will beat anyone with an AR can't shoot past 25yds or clear a jam quickly.
I agree..
Old 01-20-2013, 18:14   #11
The Fed

Wrol?
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 18:16   #12
mad220860

mad220860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 18:42   #13
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
Wrol?
World without Rule of Law.

SHTF just sounds so much better........
Old 01-20-2013, 18:59   #14
bdcochran

different response

I am indebted to Mr. Mason for reporting on the video. Saves time.

1. Elmer Keith reported shooting 600 yards with a .357 in the 1930s.
So,here is one of those insight moments that you should have.
a. If Elmer Keith can shoot 600 yards, so can you.
b. Navy ships fire over the horizon at targets that they don't see. It is called knowing ballistics.
c. Nothing stops you from shooting regularly at 200 and 300 on steel with a .357 at most ranges. So, learn ballistics.

2. Some people assert that shotguns are inaccurate past abut 50 yards. Not true. One day I was at the shooting club and decided to shoot 200 yards on steel with 12 ga. slugs. I did a bench rest on the table and shot. The ballistics were such that just using the bead sights on target was enough. Then, I had a girflfriend (who had never shot a shotgun before in her life) take up a rest position and she shot 200 yards on steel with a Remington 870.

3. Disregarding concepts like penetration and beliefs that a larger diameter or heavier round overcomes a lack of shooting skills, any hits that can be done with a 12 ga can be done with a .22 lr. So, get a Ruger 10/22 with a Leupold 2x7 compact rear scope or 2.5x or 2.7 front mounted scope by Burris or Leupold. Also modify the bolt hold open to operate with one hand. Now you have light weight, a game collector and night fighting capability. More functional than a 12 ga.

4. After shtf, you aren't going to go into combat mode, engage the local gang members or play soldier. You are going to dump the trash, walk your property, carry containers from point a to point b, cook a meal outdoors or gather firewood. It is a bogus concept that a holstered pistol is going to be a back up and a battle rifle is going to be primary.

Comment. When you are going into combat with a rifle, if you are smart, you take off the sling. You don't want the rifle hanging up on brush. You also don't want to get lax and sling the rifle. So, if your rifle is going to be "primary" and a pistol "backup", take off the sling now. If you reflect on this, you start to understand that the pistol is primary because it is always going to be with you. Spend the money and get decent training in shooting/reloading while in movement. turnipseedtechnique.com and quickshoot.com and book by Alan Egusa on shooting.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 19:17   #15
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
In a long line of silly things you've said, taking off the sling may be one of the funniest incorrect things I've seen.

Anyone serious about the use of a rifle to defend themselves, needs a sling. You can't carry your rifle 24/7. Even when you need it.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 19:38   #16
quake

I've tried keeping a rifle/carbine with me thru the day without a sling and hope to never spend a day with a rifle without a sling again.

I think the sling issue may be largely due to different guys of different ages, being used to different types of slings. A sporting sling, holding the gun muzzle-up non-cross-body, is much less all-day friendly than either a similar sling or a tactical slung diagonal or in a front carry. I just last year switched my CAR-15 from a normal GI type sling carried (ususally) diagonal across my back, to a single-point from magpul. It's very different and took some real getting used to, but I like that it lets me carry a backpack where the other way didn't. But while I preferred the old (diagonal across the back) way for literally decades, it didn't allow backpack use as the old muzzle-up type sling does.

IMO, the allowance of a backpack is the only advantage to the old muzzle-up style of carry; and if you're carrying a light enough carbine, the front-carry removes even that advantage.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 19:40   #17
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
In a long line of silly things you've said, taking off the sling may be one of the funniest incorrect things I've seen.

Anyone serious about the use of a rifle to defend themselves, needs a sling. You can't carry your rifle 24/7. Even when you need it.
+1... just go hunting without one. You'll quickly get convinced that you want a sling.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 19:49   #18
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post

in Rhodesia a rifle with a sling was called a "purse", even the carry handle was removed from the FALs were there exceptions? of course. In the bush, slings were a snag trap.

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 19:49   #19
SouthernRaider

Better to live in close knit rual agri based community than some urbanite prep fantasy IMO

At some point this nation will pay. The lifeboats aren't what the "experts" tell you they are........
SouthernRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 19:54   #20
beatcop

Meet people, train, get out and do "stuff"....that's how to increase the odds. Youtube & couch...not so much.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote