Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:12   #61
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 1 View Post

I am making a list of ammo and guns I should have in stock. Here is the calibers I have and the respective ammo amounts.

Glock 21SF – 50rds
2 Glock 26’s – 450 rds
Bersa 380 – 300 rds
S&W 38 Sp revolver - 100 rds
AR-15 - 400 rds
20 ga double barrel Shotgun – 225 rds
.308 bolt action rifle – 60 rds
.22lr M&P rifle – 11,000 rds

What ammo quantity would you add and in what order of importance? I know some numbers are very low but its only recent. I also just got all my 22 in today since its really all I can afford to take to the range now. That is why that number is kinda high.

Are there any other caliber weapons I should have on hand? I already have a AK, 357 revolver w/4” barrel, Glock 23, Glock 17, Mossberg 930SPX, and S&W M&P .22lr pistol on the must have list. Am I missing anything? I don’t want to be paranoid but I do want to be prepared.

If you have any other suggestions I am open to them.
You have pretty much all the bases you need covered, minus the 22 pistol on your list. If money is an issue (and it is, for the vast majority of us), I would suggest you limit your calibers, at least for your "primary prep guns".

Do you CCW? Which gun do you carry most?

Looking at what you have, I have a few suggestions.

Sell the Glock 21 and buy a Glock 19 or 17. This will allow mag interchangability with your two G26s, and more importantly, ammo interchangability. 45ACP ammo is significantly more expensive then 9mm.

Consider a 22 conversion kit for your Glock, this will allow you to practice with what you carry, and have the flexability of having a 22 pistol platform.

Consider a 22 revolver, because a revolver will be able to fire any 22lr round, without having to worry about cycling.

380 ammo is expensive, evaluate your need for the Bersa. If its the CC model, that would make more sense then the full sized because it would fill a role if you CCW it.

Your AR-15 is going to be your primary long gun if SHTF, stock ammo, mags, and parts accordingly.

Your double barrel is fine, don't be so quick to feel a need to replace it with a tactical shotgun. Most likely, in a SHTF scenario, your AR-15 will be better suited anyway. The double barrel will be great for hunting and gathering, and can serve as a self defense gun in a pinch.

If you are considering using your pool as drinking water, just be mindful of the levels of chlorine, and test it before assuming its safe to drink (common sense).

Keep prepping!

Last edited by JohnnyReb; 11-21-2012 at 04:13..
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:11   #62
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Ok, update time. I read the input and I have decided to build up ammo only for the guns I have for the people in my house that shoot them proficiently. I hope that came out right. 3 - 9mm's, 1 - 45, and 1 12 gauge. I put the 380 up for sale as well as the 308. I am going to replace the 308 with a Remington 700 in 308 due to accuracy issues. I am also adding a Glock 17.

I have three people who are good with the 9mm so I am building that stock pile the most as far as handguns go. I am great on the 45 so that is in there as well but only about 500 rounds.

I took your advice on the shotgun and bought a Mossberg 500 Persuader 8 shot that will be here tomorrow. The 20g has sentimental value so it stays but only as a last resort will it be used. I figured I had to buy shotgun ammo anyway, might as well get the gun and the ammo at the same time. I have a friend who has a long barrel for it that he doesn't use and I am going to pick that up in case I need to hunt with it.

I also have 2 .22lr pistols on order to make a total of 3 .22's and then a 10/22 I am waiting on as well but its been planned for sometime.

So, its 9mm, 45 acp, 22, and 12 gauge. Oh, and 223 but I have a relative who was in need of funds and sold off his AR and 223 bolt action rifle and he has a couple thousand rounds of 223 he is letting me have for a hundred bucks. That was a lucky find for me.
I like what you are doing consolidating ammunition types. You may want to consider doing the same with your magazines too, for instance all Glock 19's. You could keep the Glock 26 around and carry your spare mags for the 19 and then when somebody says "I'm out" you can pass them one.

Love the the increase in .22LR since it's ammunition that is going to count in the long run and on a long run.

What are you firing the .223 in?

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 13:14   #63
Glock 1

I am ordering a Glock 17 and 30 G17 mags. They will fit in all the Glock 9's. I am entertaining the Glock 19 and if I do I will buy the 19 mags instead. My friend who would likely join us has a 19 as well.

The .223 is Colt LE6920.

I got my Mossberg 500 12ga today. In the pic below its the pistol grip on the right in the front. The other 500 on the left is 20 gauge and belongs to a friend. They both came in today. I swapped the stocks around because his came with the pistol grip and mine with the regular stock. I would have ordered them that way but those were out of stock and the pistol grip 12ga had the heat shield which I did not want.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 16:20   #64
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
I am ordering a Glock 17 and 30 G17 mags. They will fit in all the Glock 9's. I am entertaining the Glock 19 and if I do I will buy the 19 mags instead. My friend who would likely join us has a 19 as well.

The .223 is Colt LE6920.

I got my Mossberg 500 12ga today. In the pic below its the pistol grip on the right in the front. The other 500 on the left is 20 gauge and belongs to a friend. They both came in today. I swapped the stocks around because his came with the pistol grip and mine with the regular stock. I would have ordered them that way but those were out of stock and the pistol grip 12ga had the heat shield which I did not want.

Excellent choices! I love the Glock 19 and have also owned the Glock 17. I think that you would be better off going with the Glock 19 because you can concealed carry it very well, you can't do that with the Glock 17. You would also have parts compatability with your friend.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 11-21-2012, 17:04   #65
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
I like what you are doing consolidating ammunition types. You may want to consider doing the same with your magazines too, for instance all Glock 19's. You could keep the Glock 26 around and carry your spare mags for the 19 and then when somebody says "I'm out" you can pass them one.

Love the the increase in .22LR since it's ammunition that is going to count in the long run and on a long run.

Big +1 on the former!

Definitely possible on the latter!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 18:06   #66
Aceman

I hate Glocks - just a personal choice. But A Glock 19 is hard to beat as an all around gun period. Great price, great reliability, good performance, great size. Nothing but respect.

Add a Yugo Underfolder AK-47 to that and you have the Zombie apocalypse special!!

Common guns, in common calibers. Can't lose.

Last edited by Aceman; 11-21-2012 at 18:06..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 13:44   #67
Glock 1

After much consideration and especially taking into consideration the carry issue I will get a 19. I just got my CHL and was contemplating getting a G27 to carry but after this conversation I will make it a 19 or 26 at my leisure. Plus, the ladies in my house are good with the 19 and 26 so it gives us alot of interchangeability. Plus, I have lots of 9, 40, 357 sig Glock parts lying around.

I can't sell the 21. Every time I sell a gun I like I want to kick myself. The 21SF is my beast and I love to shoot it. However, I will back burner it's ammo purchase to get my SHTF ducks in a row. I sold the Bersa and will be ordering my 22 pistols Monday. The Bersa is not one I will miss.

Selling the 308 as soon as I can now that I have a box to ship it in. From that will come the 10/22 and more ammo for all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-22-2012, 18:12   #68
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
After much consideration and especially taking into consideration the carry issue I will get a 19. I just got my CHL and was contemplating getting a G27 to carry but after this conversation I will make it a 19 or 26 at my leisure. Plus, the ladies in my house are good with the 19 and 26 so it gives us alot of interchangeability. Plus, I have lots of 9, 40, 357 sig Glock parts lying around.

I can't sell the 21. Every time I sell a gun I like I want to kick myself. The 21SF is my beast and I love to shoot it. However, I will back burner it's ammo purchase to get my SHTF ducks in a row. I sold the Bersa and will be ordering my 22 pistols Monday. The Bersa is not one I will miss.

Selling the 308 as soon as I can now that I have a box to ship it in. From that will come the 10/22 and more ammo for all.
I have really enjoyed this thread. First of all it's a really good topic. Second I went through this myself a couple of years ago so I can feel your pain. Third, you are listening and actually modifying your plans based on updated thinking (I think that is rare).

So cudos to you and good luck with some really nice weapons.

Old 11-22-2012, 19:42   #69
capnjim01

Quote:
I have really enjoyed this thread. First of all it's a really good topic. Second I went through this myself a couple of years ago so I can feel your pain. Third, you are listening and actually modifying your plans based on updated thinking (I think that is rare).

I've enjoyed this topic also and thought I'd just throw this in the mix. For those folks who need to get a handgun how about a .40 Glock and a 9mm conversion barrel. .40 seems to be very popular with LEO in my area so you may could barter some ammo if need be. Just a thought.
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:07   #70
Glock 1

My best friend has a Gen 4 G27 that I shoot sometimes and it is a powerful and accurate little weapon. I guess the stigma of a 9mm not being "enough" kinda stuck with me so I chose the 27 over the 26. Of course, if I have the ammo it will be my 21 in my hand. I do love that gun. I am very comfortable with it and pretty darn accurate too.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:17   #71
Glock 1

Quote:

Thanks. I take alot into consideration. I am young enough to still entertain some of the wild possibilities and old enough to rule out alot of the "tacti-cool" advice. I like the level of response I got and everyone not only gave advice but also said why they would do it that way and that show thought process which is key to me.

I knew the best place to ask was here. I knew I would get both ends of the spectrum and as long as I can discern the two differences and weed out the "that makes sense" advice then you guys would help me see the parts I missed, and I was right.

Over time, if the SDoesn'tHTF then I may very well end of with thousands upon thousands of rounds, finding myself on the extreme end of ammunition levels, until then I know what I need to do.

Once I have my arsenal filled out I will get a pic of it. I have more ammo coming in Monday and need to figure out where I want to store it. I think it will be coming out of the safe soon. I have the top shelf in my closet open in my office so I will probably put it there. Providing the shelf can hold the weight it should hold all I will ever need and then some.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:42   #72
B.Reid

Depends on how the SHTF, if you need to hunt for food a .22lr is probably the most valuable to hunt for small game, if the power is out that deer will spoil, if you live in bird hunting country, have a shotgun. If you are worried about looters a high cap rifle is important, because they will have them, the AR type rifle is the best selling long gun in the USA. Handguns will be needed to help you get to your rifle. A long rang hunting/sniper rifle may be useful as well.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:52   #73
Aceman

See - I think the long range rifle is the least useful. The main advantage of that gun is exactly like it says; range. Takes the most skill to use well, and the situations where you can really take advantage of it, tactically, or moral/ethically, are limited.

I agree - great tool to have available, but..

#1 SG
#2 Pistol
----must have the above-----
#3 AR/AK
#4 .22 of choice
----good to have the above----
#5 Large caliber bolt rifle .308/.30-06
-----nice to have-------

But as always, need to prioritize based on your comfort, skill, situation, preferences. And as always, can't use it if you don't have it!

Last edited by Aceman; 11-23-2012 at 09:52..
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54   #74
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Depends on how the SHTF, if you need to hunt for food a .22lr is probably the most valuable to hunt for small game, if the power is out that deer will spoil, if you live in bird hunting country, have a shotgun. If you are worried about looters a high cap rifle is important, because they will have them, the AR type rifle is the best selling long gun in the USA. Handguns will be needed to help you get to your rifle. A long rang hunting/sniper rifle may be useful as well.
Anything I can hunt with a .22, I can hunt with a shotgun. There are things I can do with a shotgun I can't do with a .22.

Shotgun > .22 for over all hunting AND utility, IMO.

But again, I am a fan of the .22, and have two ready to go!
Old 11-23-2012, 21:40   #75
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

You can carry more 22lr rounds then shotgun and its much cheaper to stock. Definitely has advantages.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-30-2012, 16:35   #76
Lt Scott 14

Glock1 you are really moving in the right direction! Your plans appear solid, moved a couple of firearms to upgrade, and see the need to prep! After getting your "battery" together, maybe a generator, some food planning, some plastic tubs to organize, and rotate stock. Study some bushcraft skills, first aid, plant a garden.
Have some fun, get a few others on track.
Old 01-21-2013, 19:05   #77
Glock 1

Wow, so much has happened since I posted last. Here is an update.

I sold the Bersa and the 308 is on Gunbroker for sale. I almost had my G19 (waited to long to pull the trigger) when all this craziness hit. I did manage to snag a Gen 4 G17 and got it today. I also got a Taurus 66 357 Mag with a 4" barrel coming. I got a great deal on it and I have alot of 38 ammo now that I inherited so it should be good.

The G17:

I got some extra G17 mags on order and 2 Gen4 G19's. That will give me a 9mm every member in my house can fire efficiently. I also have a Ruger 22/45 Lite on order. I decided to go with Ruger for reliability. The more I researched "knock off 22's" the more issues I found with them. I have 2k rounds of each caliber on order with my distributor and I have about 40 pmags now. This little safe of mine is getting crowded. I think it is about time to move the ammo out and make it for guns only.

My prepping is going slow but it is going. I have lots of canned foods from beans, veggies, and meats. I have lots of dry grains and saving some seeds up slowly. I have all my medical supplies and have managed to stash a 30 day supply of my most important prescriptions. All in all I think I could sustain my house for about 2 weeks of not leaving the house and then maybe 2 more of minimal contact. Of course, if the shtf then I am sure my plan will play out in every way EXCEPT the way I hope it will. lol

Last edited by Glock 1; 01-21-2013 at 19:06..
Old 01-21-2013, 19:28   #78
AsSeenOnTV

I haven't read all the threads, but i have included in my own selection is a bolt action rifle in 22LR shooting subsonics. I can hunt small game and not attract attention with the 'sonic boom' a bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound will create.
I also have a bunch of Berkey water filter bottles that like the ones the UN passes out to remote villages in Africa for drinking from their polluted rivers, etc.
In a shtf situation, you need shelter first, then water, and then food. learn how to make a lean to, how to start a fire without matches, and how to not be visible on a horizon in the middle of night. Stay holed up in the day, and have friends and neighbors you can trust who can watch each others backs in your neighborhood or out in the wilds.
AsSeenOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 19:47   #79
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Get more 308.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 19:58   #80
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Wow, so much has happened since I posted last. Here is an update.

I sold the Bersa and the 308 is on Gunbroker for sale. I almost had my G19 (waited to long to pull the trigger) when all this craziness hit. I did manage to snag a Gen 4 G17 and got it today. I also got a Taurus 66 357 Mag with a 4" barrel coming. I got a great deal on it and I have alot of 38 ammo now that I inherited so it should be good.

The G17:

I got some extra G17 mags on order and 2 Gen4 G19's. That will give me a 9mm every member in my house can fire efficiently. I also have a Ruger 22/45 Lite on order. I decided to go with Ruger for reliability. The more I researched "knock off 22's" the more issues I found with them. I have 2k rounds of each caliber on order with my distributor and I have about 40 pmags now. This little safe of mine is getting crowded. I think it is about time to move the ammo out and make it for guns only.

My prepping is going slow but it is going. I have lots of canned foods from beans, veggies, and meats. I have lots of dry grains and saving some seeds up slowly. I have all my medical supplies and have managed to stash a 30 day supply of my most important prescriptions. All in all I think I could sustain my house for about 2 weeks of not leaving the house and then maybe 2 more of minimal contact. Of course, if the shtf then I am sure my plan will play out in every way EXCEPT the way I hope it will. lol
Good job! The only thing better than a good idea tossed around online is actually doing it! You are on a good path Glock 1.

I bought a quantity of pmags and KCI G19 mags the night after the school shooting and having used the KCI mags for years I would highly recommend them to you. They cost $8 and are used by the South Korean army and many people here.