SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 14:01   #1
Japle
John, Viera, Fl

Why some Atheists post here.

Speaking strictly for myself, it’s not really about religion. I consider all religions equally invalid. Not one of them passes the sniff test. They all look equally silly to anyone who’s not a believer.

The real issues I’m interested in are skepticism and critical thinking. The idea that someone can take the writings of bronze age semi-savages whose technology hadn’t gotten as far as the button and button-hole over evidence obtained through rigorous modern scientific investigation is simply astonishing to me.

Anyone who’s passed a 7th grade General Science class should be familiar with the way the scientific method works. They should understand the definitions of “hypothesis” and “theory” and “peer review”. They should understand that a scientific theory requires compelling evidence. It’s not just some random idea.

I once had a boss who was a very intelligent guy. He was a master programmer who started a business in his garage and built it into a multi-million dollar international industry leader. He wrote a book that he believed revealed the secrets of the workings of the Universe. He couldn’t find anyone who would publish it, so he paid the bill himself. The book was universally panned by physicists. Even I could find huge holes in his “theories”. One day in the break room, he said, “Do you know how you can tell if something’s true? It just feels right!”

That guy might have been a great programmer and businessman, but he didn’t know the first thing about science.

The idea that you can tell what’s true by whether it feels right to you is what I’m here to argue against.
It bothers me when people will go to any lengths to support religious doctrine that has been proven wrong or for which there is zero evidence.
It bothers me when people say that the Bible is literally true, and then ignore the parts they don’t like.
It bothers me when people willfully misunderstand scientific theories and disregard objective evidence in favor of obvious mythology.

I don’t think for a second that I can change the mind of anyone who’s too far gone, too emotionally invested in their religion, to be capable of examining it in any rational way. But there’s always the chance that others, who are interested in religion and paid attention in science classes, will read the posts in this forum and understand what’s going on here.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 14:37   #2
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 14:47   #3
Happypuppy

You do realize you are just promoting your religion of Atheism and putting yourself as the all knowing OZ? I find you arrogant, pompous and self righteous.

I could care less what you believe or think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:11   #4
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
You do realize you are just promoting your religion of Atheism
You have no idea what you're talking about. Atheism is not a religion. It is a lack of belief. Educate yourself.

Theory:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Grace:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Bang:
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:25   #5
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
Anyone who’s passed a 7th grade General Science class should be familiar with the way the scientific method works. They should understand the definitions of “hypothesis” and “theory” and “peer review”. They should understand that a scientific theory requires compelling evidence. It’s not just some random idea.
Religion is being pushed into the private sector now. By that I mean we are finally getting it out of our schools, and court houses, and these last rounds of elections give me hope that it's being pushed out of our politics and hopefully out of our legislation. And this is how it should be. Religion should be a personal matter and not a public one. It shouldn't be mandated, legislated or presented in public systems.

But the problem is that the religious take this as an attack. Even though no one is trying to stop them from believing and worshiping as they see fit... they feel entitled to push it on everyone else. And eliminating it from the public circle means others that disagree with them can live as they choose... religious people don't like this. They want to attempt to force everyone else to live by their ideals. For example "Abortion is wrong... not just for me... but for everyone else as well."

So what you have in a lot of areas... especially rural areas are teachers that are a little bitter so they do a half-arsed job of presenting scientific material because they feel that's the devil. And in many locations you have teachers that completely ignore the laws and conduct prayer in school anyway because "GAWD's Law Trumps Man's Law AMEN!" So you have a lot of kids that still aren't getting the education they deserve. The ideal is sort of "If we can't force them to be righteous... we'll rob them of critical thinking skills so they'll wind up believing anyway."

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 12-02-2012, 15:32   #6
JBnTX
Texas

This forum is titled Religious Issues.
Think about that?

Why would an atheist even give this forum a second thought?
There's nothing in a religious forum that would be of interest to an atheist.

The truth is this is a Christian bashing forum, dominated by atheists, and should be renamed.

I say rename this forum to the Atheist Issues forum, or maybe the Christian Bashing forum.

Last edited by JBnTX; 12-02-2012 at 15:33..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:34   #7
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
So what you have in a lot of areas... especially rural areas are teachers that are a little bitter so they do a half-arsed job of presenting scientific material because they feel that's the devil. And in many locations you have teachers that completely ignore the laws and conduct prayer in school anyway because "GAWD's Law Trumps Man's Law AMEN!" So you have a lot of kids that still aren't getting the education they deserve. The ideal is sort of "If we can't force them to be righteous... we'll rob them of critical thinking skills so they'll wind up believing anyway."
Yeah, them thar stoopid ridnecks.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

Old 12-02-2012, 15:40   #8
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post

I say rename this forum to the Atheist Issues forum, or maybe the Christian Bashing forum.

Those would probably be more accurate descriptions.

Christians can't even have a thread about Christian music without the resident atheists posting crap they know is insulting.

But it is OK for them to be insulting because they are enlightened.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Old 12-02-2012, 15:43   #9
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Think about that?

The truth is this is a Christian bashing forum, dominated by atheists, and should be renamed.

Lack of critical thinking skills lead to crazy stuff like birther theories. Really any number of conspiracy theories. That's toxic to a system where those people elect the leadership. If that spreads too far, yu end up with an idiocracy.

Critical thinking skills are crucial to a functional democracy.

That's why it matters.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 12-02-2012 at 15:46..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:48   #10
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Lack of critical thinking skills lead to crazy stuff like birther theories. Really any number of conspiracy theories. That's toxic to a system where those people elect the leadership. If that spreads too far, yu end up with an idiocracy.

That's why it matters.

Randy
Yep, you are going to save the republic by posting anti-Christian messages in the Glock Talk Religious Issues Forum. Christianity will be the death of us all.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 12-02-2012 at 15:52..
Old 12-02-2012, 15:49   #11
Japle
John, Viera, Fl

Quote:
Posted by JBnTX:
Think about that?

Did you even read the OP?
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:51   #12
JBnTX
Texas

Quote:

That's why it matters.

Randy
Can you dumb that down for me?
I have no idea what you're trying to say?
Old 12-02-2012, 15:54   #13
JBnTX
Texas

Quote:

Speaking strictly for myself, it’s not really about religion. I consider all religions equally invalid. Not one of them passes the sniff test. They all look equally silly to anyone who’s not a believer.

The real issues I’m interested in are skepticism and critical thinking.
Quote:
Did you even read the OP?

Yes, I did.

Why is it posted in a Religious Issues forum?
What's religious about it?
Old 12-02-2012, 15:58   #14
JBnTX
Texas

Will someone please show me one thread in this forum where a religious issue was discussed, without an atheist denouncing religion, questioning the existence of God or bringing up that evolution crap?

Just one?
Old 12-02-2012, 16:00   #15
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Will someone please show me one thread in this forum where a religious issue was discussed, without an atheist denouncing religion, questioning the existence of God or bringing up that evolution crap?

Just one?
Ahhh JB, now you're not being inclusive! If you don't behave, the atheists will think you are trying to marginalize them. [/SARCASM]

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 12-02-2012 at 16:01..
Old 12-02-2012, 16:03   #16
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Think about that?

Keep playing the poor little victim JB.

We have ISSUES with RELIGION that's why we're here. Get it?

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 12-02-2012, 16:06   #17
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

I for one am grateful to the enlightened ones for attempting to bring the faithful into the 21st century.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Old 12-02-2012, 16:07   #18
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Yep, you are going to save the republic by posting anti-Christian messages in the Glock Talk Religious Issues Forum. Christianity will be the death of us all.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Anti stupid. Not anti Christian. There's a difference. A huge difference.

Plenty of Christians have no problem separating fact from fiction. Catholics don't subscribe to the 6,000 year old Earth nonsense for instance.

You're free to believe what you want. You're not free from being ridiculed for what you believe.

I see the same denial of reality behind the crazy fundamentalist views and those crazy enough to believe the birther theories, and any number of other crazy conspiracy theories. All stem from being so caught up in what you want to believe you deny reality in order to do so. That's not healthy.

And when they try to foist that malarkey in science classes, its well beyond just unhealthy and into the ridiculous.

When they put alchemy in chemistry class and numerology in math class, come talk to me about putting creationism in science classes. Maybe I'll have given up at that point and willing to concede defeat.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 12-02-2012 at 16:42..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 16:08   #19
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:

Just one?
The issue is not a complex one. It's hatred and envy, plain, pure, and simple.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Old 12-02-2012, 16:09   #20
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
I see the same denial of reality behind the crazy fundamentalist views and those crazy enough to believe the birther theories, and any number of other crazy conspiracy theories. All stem from being so caught up in what you want to believe you deny reality in order to do so. That's not healthy.

Randy
Hate to break it to you Randy, but you don't have a monopoly on reality.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy