Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:39   #1
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

The Asymmetry of Intolerance

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/...tolerance.html

Quote:
Atheists attempt to introduce an artificial dichotomy based on the source of a person's moral principles. Atheist extremists say that you can quote Nietzsche on morality but not Jesus at a public school graduation. Why? If Jesus is God then it would be smart to quote Him, and if he is not God then he's a man, and hence no different from Nietzsche. The inconsistency in atheistic reasoning can be seen in that if one could show that Jesus was not God it would be okay to quote him at a graduation and have a statue of him on public land. Clearly saying we should honor a man more than we should honor God is a somewhat odd perspective.
Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:01   #2
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/...tolerance.html
Atheists attempt to introduce an artificial dichotomy based on the source of a person's moral principles. Atheist extremists say that you can quote Nietzsche on morality but not Jesus at a public school graduation. Why? If Jesus is God then it would be smart to quote Him, and if he is not God then he's a man, and hence no different from Nietzsche. The inconsistency in atheistic reasoning can be seen in that if one could show that Jesus was not God it would be okay to quote him at a graduation and have a statue of him on public land. Clearly saying we should honor a man more than we should honor God is a somewhat odd perspective.
Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Let's think this through, because some things are hard to see through Christian blinders.

(I'll try to read the full article when I'm not on my phone.)

The assertion is that if Jesus was a mortal man it should be okay to quote Him at a public high school graduation, because He would just be another man.

Christians reject Muhammed as a prophet, so he was just a man, so you're cool with him being quoted at graduation, no different than Nietzsche, right? Everybody's cool with the teachings of Ellen G. White being shared at graduation? She was just a woman. Maybe a little Buddhism or Scientology? Again, those are also just the teachings of other men.

Remind me who is putting up inconsistent reasoning?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:08   #3
Japle
John, Viera, Fl

Quote:
Atheist extremists say that you can quote Nietzsche on morality but not Jesus at a public school graduation. Why? If Jesus is God then it would be smart to quote Him, and if he is not God then he's a man, and hence no different from Nietzsche.
Seriously? Do you actually think there’s any possibility that people quoting Jesus at a public school graduation consider him to have been just a man? If that were the case, there would be no objection, but it’s not the case. Jesus is being quoted as a religious figure.

Quote:
The inconsistency in atheistic reasoning can be seen in that if one could show that Jesus was not God it would be okay to quote him at a graduation and have a statue of him on public land.
It’s not what people can show, it’s what the people quoting him believe. They believe he was a god (of sorts) and that’s why they want to quote him. If it could be shown that he was just another Messianic Jew who was executed as a troublemaker, I doubt anyone would remember him, much less want to quote him.

It’s funny that you think anyone who doesn’t agree with your particular brand of religion is an “extremist”.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19   #4
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post

It’s funny that you think anyone who doesn’t agree with your particular brand of religion is an “extremist”.
No, what is funny is that you would try to paint me as branding you as anything. I simply posted a quote from the article I linked to. You painted yourself as the victim of being called an extemist, not me, not the author. Nice play of the victim card.

Further, if you had bothered to read the article before you thoughtlessly and reflexively posted, it would be clear that the author of the article isn't embracing any particular religion in his reasoning.

Quote:
It’s not what people can show, it’s what the people quoting him believe.
Much like the courts trying to divine what is in a persons heart when they try to apply hate crime statutes to criminal proceedings.

Sorry, just more liberal b.s. as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

Last edited by happyguy; 12-02-2012 at 11:32..
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25   #5
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Let's think this through, because some things are hard to see through Christian blinders.

(I'll try to read the full article when I'm not on my phone.)

The assertion is that if Jesus was a mortal man it should be okay to quote Him at a public high school graduation, because He would just be another man.

Christians reject Muhammed as a prophet, so he was just a man, so you're cool with him being quoted at graduation, no different than Nietzsche, right? Everybody's cool with the teachings of Ellen G. White being shared at graduation? She was just a woman. Maybe a little Buddhism or Scientology? Again, those are also just the teachings of other men.

Remind me who is putting up inconsistent reasoning?

-ArtificialGrape
Consider this as your reminder. Your reasoning is inconsistent.

You also might try reading the article.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 12-02-2012 at 11:34..
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55   #6
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Here is your reminder then. Your reasoning is inconsistent.

You also might try reading the article.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
You chose to include that section of text, so one would naturally suspect that you found it to make a compelling argument. I've already pointed out that is not the case. If the rest of the article is less compelling than the section you chose to highlight, then why should I waste my time?

How about you respond to my points/questions?

As far as false dichotomies, here are a few.

If evolution is false, the Christian Creation must be true.

If the Big Bang theory is false, the Christian Creation must be true.

Pascal's Wager: if you don't believe in the Christian God you're going to the Christian Hell.

Are those some of the atheist false dichotomies to which the author is referring? Oh wait...

-ArtificialGrape
Old 12-02-2012, 12:01   #7
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Because I did not post the article in order to stimulate a debate with you or Japle. You give yourself too much credit.

Put me on ignore if you like.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 12-02-2012 at 12:17..
Old 12-02-2012, 12:34   #8
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Because I did not post the article in order to stimulate a debate with you or Japle.
If you didn't post it to stimulate debate or even, presumably, a discussion about it, why did you post it on a forum? I'm just curious........?

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:42   #9
Japle
John, Viera, Fl

Quote:
Posted by happyguy:
No, what is funny is that you would try to paint me as branding you as anything.
…and then 8 seconds later …

Quote:
Sorry, just more liberal b.s. as far as I'm concerned.
Noooo! You’re not doing any branding.

Sorry, just more lunacy from the far-out religious right!
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45   #10
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
If you didn't post it to stimulate debate or even, presumably, a discussion about it, why did you post it on a forum? I'm just curious........?

I posted it so the religious who occasionally swing by here might read it.

I have no desire to argue with the others.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 12-02-2012 at 12:46..
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45   #11
ArrowJ

Quote:
You chose to include that section of text, so one would naturally suspect that you found it to make a compelling argument. I've already pointed out that is not the case. If the rest of the article is less compelling than the section you chose to highlight, then why should I waste my time?

As far as false dichotomies, here are a few.

If evolution is false, the Christian Creation must be true.

If the Big Bang theory is false, the Christian Creation must be true.

Pascal's Wager: if you don't believe in the Christian God you're going to the Christian Hell.

Are those some of the atheist false dichotomies to which the author is referring? Oh wait...

-ArtificialGrape
I try to avoid false dichotomies. Would it be fair to say that IF Christianity is true (as traditionally defined i.e. creation, fall, redemption, consummation) then all non Christianity is false?

Disregarding the OP and the hypocrisy Christians live in (after all, we are not perfect). Would you agree with the general idea that there is at least a somewhat unbalanced tolerance by those that proclaim its importance the most in America?
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:53   #12
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Because I did not post the article in order to stimulate a debate with you or Japle.
Then why did you post it? So you and other people that believe as you do (Incorrectly) can just pat each other on the back keep agreeing with each other in the face of significant ignorance? All ideals are welcome but you better be ready to defend it because we'll find the flaws in it pretty quickly.

Theory:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Grace:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Bang:
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:55   #13
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
You quote an article claiming atheist extremism, and accusing atheists of employing false dichotomies and inconsistent reasoning. I point out the inconsistent reasoning of the article quoted and provided examples of what seem to be some favorite false dichotomies of many Christians.

Given that you're unable to defend it, I'll just say that I merely posted it so that those that swing by here won't mistakenly think that you or the author of the article are making valid points.

cheers,
-ArtificialGrape
Old 12-02-2012, 12:57   #14
TK-421

Sorry, your own bible says that Jesus can't be God. God is God, Jesus was his son. God is a vengeful and jealous God, and he is the only God. To believe there is another God, other than God, is a horrible sin. It's in the first commandment.

You must not have any other god but me.

To believe that Jesus was a God goes against the first commandment.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:58   #15
Glock36shooter

Quote:

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Ah so you're a troll. You do a drive by posting accusing those that disagree with you of being extremists and full of typical liberal BS as far as you're concerned and then you wanna run away. I see. How mature.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:59   #16
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Sorry, your own bible says that Jesus can't be God. God is God, Jesus was his son. God is a vengeful and jealous God, and he is the only God. To believe there is another God, other than God, is a horrible sin. It's in the first commandment.

You must not have any other god but me.

To believe that Jesus was a God goes against the first commandment.
No no... you don't understand... they're three in one... that's the mental gymnastics they do to avoid admitting they're Poly-Theists.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 12-02-2012, 13:09   #17
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Can't defend your own intolerance? Attack religion. Weak.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Old 12-02-2012, 13:12   #18
TK-421

Quote:
Can't defend your own intolerance? Attack religion. Weak.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Can't defend your own religion? Attack those with different opinions. Weak.
Old 12-02-2012, 13:13   #19
ArrowJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
No no... you don't understand... they're three in one... that's the mental gymnastics they do to avoid admitting they're Poly-Theists.
IF one believes the Bible is true, I think the theology of the trinity is not that difficult of a conclusion to arrive at. Am I even dumber than someone that believes in the Bible, but not that Christ was fully God and fully man?
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 13:13   #20
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Man, if even they can't understand their own bible, how is anybody else supposed to?