Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2012, 23:54   #1
Ken B

Daughter wants to do GSSF...suggestions for pistol

From my phone, so for some reason I can't get the Glock Report to upload and look at the rules and need some advice.
Kennedy is 10.5 now, so by the time we get to shooting something in the DFW area, she'll be 11.

She's been shooting 2.5 years now, .22 for 2 and now she's run amok the last 5 months. She's handling a 5906 and a Browning HP just fine, and she's now shooting her own 5.56mm mid-length. I shot extensively in the military and USPSA for 14 odd years. so we use the range commands during our range session, and she's familiar with the ready positions, swapping mags, etc...she's come along way.

So...is Kennedy penalized to the competition division if she shoots a G34 as a junior? Any mods to a 17 put her in competitive?

I'm thinking a g19 might have too much muzzle flip, and we don't want to go ported. Though she saw Tori Nonaka's open gun and she wants one too! God has blessed me with a shooter daughter, but I'm having to rein her in.

Any suggestions bigtime helpful...we're going shopping tomorrow.

BHP club #0409 / 1911 club #
S&W club # 0409 / Black Rifle club #0409
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11   #2
misunderestimated

Welcome.

Stock means stock,any Glock oem part leaves you in stock class. Replacement sights are allowed

I am pretty sure juniors get a pass on using a 34 as a standard gun

I have found that the 34 in small hands does not cycle as well as a 17. I see if she is ok cycling a 34

Good Luck I wish I was introduced to competition as such a young age
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:19   #3
James5m

This should help

Firearms used in the Civilian, Guardian, andMaster-Stock divisions. Adult (>18) competitors
may use stock noncompensated G17, 19, 20, 21,
22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 37, 38 and 39
GLOCK firearms. If G38 or G39 firearms are used
it is recommended that G37 magazines be used.
If a competitor possesses a compensated model
of one of the above (G17C, 19C, 20C, 21C, 22C,
23C, 31C, or 32C) and a GLOCK-produced noncompensated
barrel for that firearm model, the
competitor may use their “C” model firearm combined
with the GLOCK-produced non-compensated
barrel to shoot their Civilian, Guardian, or Master-
Stock entries. Junior (<18) competitors may also
use “C” and “long-slide” models (G-17C, 17L, 19C,
20C, 21C, 22C, 23C, 24, 24C, 31C, 32C, 34, 35)
to shoot in the Civilian or Master-Stock divisions.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42   #4
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
Welcome.

Stock means stock,any Glock oem part leaves you in stock class. Replacement sights are allowed...
That has recently been 'stretched' and GSSF officially allows - in Stock (though you will NOT find it in the rules), PLASTIC magwells, PLASTIC grip plugs, and aftermarket slide cover plates (not the charging handle type).
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:50   #5
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

!

Use a Glock 34. That gun will serve her well in Am Civ and Competition entries. That is what my daughter uses for her entries. She has been shooting GSSF for over three years and has done quite well.

Or the next best will be the Glock 17 as it is a good all around gun and can be used in many different divisions.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58   #6
Ken B

you guys are great!

exactly what I knew I'd find...why I can't download the pdf to my phone I don't understand, and we're out of town for the weekend and wanted AWAY from the computer lol.

fantastic. sounds like we should rent the 34 and the 17 on range day.

ok..now i have a poster in my face that "Look! Randi Rogers shoots a 34!"

ok..now she is embarrassed I typed that...

ok...wait till she dates!

thanks guys...big help

Old 11-18-2012, 12:34   #7
AZson

Won my G38 through GSSF as a new member. Nice gun.
Old 11-18-2012, 21:10   #8
Ken B

update...

so we got some time after getting back and Kennedy (or I since I am over 21) rented the G17, the G17C and the G34.

She's wanting the G34. Looks like the Gen 4, since the grip on the Gen 3 we rented was just a wee wide.
So time to sell one of my S&W and clear out some parts for those 'projects' that never happen..join us up and get it done.

Info here was big help. I've now gotten on the desktop and printed out the rules. big kudos to you guys

Old 11-18-2012, 22:21   #9
SARDG

So Ken - or is it Baker? Or are you a baker named Ken...?? It sounds as though this will be the only Glock in the family right now - and I imagine you would like to shoot the GSSF matches with your daughter - and although the 34 would allow Kennedy to shoot in (Stock) Amateur Civilian, you couldn't do the same (nor in Guardian or Master Stock if you qualify). AmCiv and Guardian are the 'money' Divisions with Special Category wins (once again... if you qualify). Along with Kennedy shooting the 34 in AmCiv, you could both also use the 34 for Competition and Unlimited Divisions.

Just be certain you understand the nuances of shooting the different Divisions, with different guns, and the potential application of any Special Categories that may apply.
Old 11-19-2012, 00:34   #10
PM720

Just to expand a bit on what Kitty said here, a G17 might give the BOTH of you a few more options. Of course, a G30 would allow you to shoot ALL 7 divisions too!

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20   #11
HexHead

Eventually she'll be 18. Get the G17, she'll have more options then. The competition will be a lot tougher in the Competition class.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30   #12
Don At PC

If ever in doubt as to which Glocks are legal in each category, just look at any Match Registration Form. It list with each category which Glocks are legal for thatcategory. You can view the form at www.gssfonline.com and you can also print it to carry with you if in doubt.

As mentioned the G34 is a great model but after your daughter turns 18 she can only legally shoot it in Competition and Unlimited categories. And you as an adult can only shoot it in those 2 categories now. The G17 or G19 opens up many more categories for both of you right now.

Just food for thought.

Don
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Retired A.F. Chief 1961-1991
Don At PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53   #13
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
Eventually she'll be 18. Get the G17, she'll have more options then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don At PC View Post
...As mentioned the G34 is a great model but after your daughter turns 18 she can only legally shoot it in Competition and Unlimited categories. And you as an adult can only shoot it in those 2 categories now. The G17 or G19 opens up many more categories for both of you right now.

Don
I'd say that in the next 7 years between 11 years old and 18 years old, there is tremendous potential for your collective family to win another gun or 2 - either with skill, or randomly (with luck). At that point you could choose the G34. I too, would begin with the G17 for a one-Glock family.

Although Roadkill's daughter does very well with the G34, the old man has many more Glocks he and she could shoot in the various GSSF Divisions right now.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24   #14
Comrade Bork

This may be a stupid question but.......

Has she shot any 9mm Glocks at all?

It is one thing for a Junior to shoot all-metal guns like the S&W or Browning HP.
There you have the mass of the metal frame working against the mass of the metal slide/barrel assembly.

For all of the good qualities of the Glock Polymer frame, one downside is when in the hands of a Junior or other shooter who may lack upper body strength or mass, the Glock sometimes tends to have what are referred to as "limp wrist" malfunctions.

Put a Glock/ammo combo in the hands of an adult male and there are no problems.

Put that same Glock/ammo combo in the hands of a Junior, or a small statured female?

Malf after malf after frustrating malf.

Usually of the "stovepipe" variety.

Before you lay out the $$$s for a new Glock for her, you might want her to run a few boxes through whatever Glock of the same caliber you can put together, and see if that is an issue with her.

One quick fix to try is heavier bullets, or more powerful loads, to give the Glock more "energy" to work with.

A better fix is to really work with her to really "lock in" her stance/grip so as to provide sufficient resistance for the Glock to function right.

Last edited by Comrade Bork; 11-19-2012 at 11:30..
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00   #15
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Bork View Post

Post # 8:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
so we got some time after getting back and Kennedy (or I since I am over 21) rented the G17, the G17C and the G34...
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21   #16
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Although Roadkill's daughter does very well with the G34, the old man has many more Glocks he and she could shoot in the various GSSF Divisions right now.

But limited funds......
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47   #17
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill_751 View Post
But limited funds......
How about good looks and charm? Barring those, still no problem... seems your family won a Glock in Dawsonville, and you and Brit can use RO bucks for entry fees.
Old 11-19-2012, 19:40   #18
Ken B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Bork View Post

It is one thing for a Junior to shoot all-metal guns like the S&W or Browning HP.
There you have the mass of the metal frame working against the mass of the metal slide/barrel assembly.

For all of the good qualities of the Glock Polymer frame, one downside is when in the hands of a Junior or other shooter who may lack upper body strength or mass, the Glock sometimes tends to have what are referred to as "limp wrist" malfunctions.....
Put that same Glock/ammo combo in the hands of a Junior, or a small statured female?

Malf after malf after frustrating malf.
She shot 5 rounds through the 17C then laid it down. Too loud.
about 25 rounds through the 17 (mix of 115 FMJ and 147 HP)
and on third round of 115 had a 'limp wrist'. We had talked of them, but she's never had one in the two years she's been shooting. I cleared the weapon, then we talked about it and she didn't have another one. about the same number of rounds through the G34, again a mix of 115s and 147s, and she said she liked the 34 better. She shot it more accurately as well (though 7 yards with a new gun is not a definitive test I agree). She also stated the 147s were more comfortable. She's been shooting those through the HP so maybe it's psychological.

If I shoot GSSF, I can borrow hers. I appreciate the advice, but she handled the extended controls better, and if going to do that might as well get a G34, especially if I'm not handicapping her in the junior category. Alot of time down the road for her to decide a G19 or G17 for when she turns 18. If she turns off on it, not like I'll loose my $$ on the G34 or have a 'bad gun' to keep.

thanks guys

Last edited by Ken B; 11-19-2012 at 19:41..
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02   #19
__jb

...and you can still shoot her G34 in Comp if you want...
Florida Glocker #153
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
__jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27   #20
misunderestimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
She shot 5 rounds through the 17C then laid it down. Too loud.
about 25 rounds through the 17 (mix of 115 FMJ and 147 HP)
and on third round of 115 had a 'limp wrist'. We had talked of them, but she's never had one in the two years she's been shooting. I cleared the weapon, then we talked about it and she didn't have another one. about the same number of rounds through the G34, again a mix of 115s and 147s, and she said she liked the 34 better. She shot it more accurately as well (though 7 yards with a new gun is not a definitive test I agree). She also stated the 147s were more comfortable. She's been shooting those through the HP so maybe it's psychological.

If I shoot GSSF, I can borrow hers. I appreciate the advice, but she handled the extended controls better, and if going to do that might as well get a G34, especially if I'm not handicapping her in the junior category. Alot of time down the road for her to decide a G19 or G17 for when she turns 18. If she turns off on it, not like I'll loose my $$ on the G34 or have a 'bad gun' to keep.

thanks guys
I suggest in the future you use the malfunctions as a training opportunity and teach her to clear them .I actually have a sig sauer 22 that if you feed it the wrong ammo it will consistently malfuntion,I alway use that gun with new shooter to introduce them to malfuntions and how to work thru them.

Ether gun G34 or 17 is a great choice,If I was going to a match with only one gun it would be the 17.I introduced allot of people to shooting with a 17
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote