Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 21:32   #1
bdcochran

Condor Tool fixed blade review

Condor Tool is in El Salvador. Originally, it was owned by Germans and the quality is still the same high quality from years ago. Some time ago, I purchased a Condor machete and was pleased with the quality.

So, I purchased a Condor Tool and Knife Rodan Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath. The product sells for about $35 plus shipping.

Features:

Handle material: High impact polypropylene
Blade steel: 1075 high carbon steel
Blade finish: Epoxy black powder coating
Blade thickness: 3/16"
Overall length: 10 1/2"
Blade length: 5 1/4"
Carry system: Leather sheath

Essentially, the knife is a cut down machete reconfigured into a conventional knife. If (and this is the target market), you live where there is jungle rot, vines to be cut, sugar cane, bamboo to cut, this might be your knife.

It is not a Mora or Marttinni hunting knife. It is not a ka bar Marine knife or Esee-4. It is not a combat knife. It is a camp knife.

It is the knife that you would have in camp long after the supple slip fit leather sheath is worn out, the epoxy black powder coating has rubbed off and the handle has gotten nicked.

Of course at $35, the carbon blade will need to be sharpened to the individual's standard. With 1075 carbon, it will take sharpening after sharpening in its lifetime.

I have observed on may Ka - bar knives that the handles are not conducive to my grip and have had to be built up with 550 cord. The handle is substantial and does not have to be built up.

Most people would object to smooth handles. Normally, I do. I like a slightly roughened handle or scales. So, as a test, I ran water on the knife - and it was repelled! Wow!

One of my complaints against machetes, axes and tools is that the handles are often after thoughts and subject the hand to blisters. The material of the handle on this knife will not cause blisters.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 14:17   #2
Victoriagotagun

Condor makes some pretty decent knives for their price point.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59   #3
Leigh

Good review.

I have the Rodan (about a year now) and my only complaint is the grip diameter being so large.

I removed the blackened finish and have been experimenting with various "forced patina" stains to create some unusual looks.

Mine presently has a 'tiger stripe' look thanks to applying, let dry, and rinsing off French's mustard.

As with any carbon steel, keep oiled. Overall, worth every bit of $35.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 16:53   #4
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
I REALLY like the look of their Boomslang, but a lot of YT reviewers say the handle is quite slick. Good looking stuff, though.