GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 18:56   #1
jthrelf

Putting away nightstand guns excessively?

Do you lock/unlock your nightstand guns everytime you go out?

Right now I have a G17 and an LCR. Obviously my LCR gets the most carry time and the G17 is my preferred HD gun. Leaving the glock in the nightstand and not in the safe while not home isnt the best idea. But then that leaves unlocking and locking every night and morning respectively.

What does everyone do about this situation?

Some background info: I am in a smaller apartment. A big gun safe isnt only too much money, but most likely impossible for my home. My only long gun currently is a 10/22, so I suppose leaving that unlocked isn't a huge concern even though I do think about it. I am also thinking about getting a 12 guage... what about that security situation?
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:00   #2
TK-421

It really depends. Do you worry about people breaking into your home? How often are homes broken into in your area? How often are the apartments in your complex broken into? How good are the locks on your front door? How hard would it be for someone to kick your door in? If there isn't much risk of someone accessing your apartment without permission, I don't think you need to worry about locking it up. But, if you are worried, you can get furniture that hides firearms, which I think would be better than a small safe. If someone sees a safe, they want it. If someone sees an end table, they may look through the drawer(s), but if they don't know there's a secret compartment, and don't know how to open it, then I think your firearm would be safer than if it was in a safe.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:03   #3
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post

Right now I have a G17 and an LCR. Obviously my LCR gets the most carry time and the G17 is my preferred HD gun. Leaving the glock in the nightstand and not in the safe while not home isnt the best idea. But then that leaves unlocking and locking every night and morning respectively.

What does everyone do about this situation?

Some background info: I am in a smaller apartment. A big gun safe isnt only too much money, but most likely impossible for my home. My only long gun currently is a 10/22, so I suppose leaving that unlocked isn't a huge concern even though I do think about it. I am also thinking about getting a 12 guage... what about that security situation?
I don't lock/unlock any guns that are in the house, ever. Currently there are, uh...5 loaded guns readily accessible.

This will necessarily change in a year or two, but for now (and for the past many years) it has been a reasonable choice.

The above ^ was applied in multiple apartments and in a house.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 11-14-2012 at 19:03..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:06   #4
michael e

My nightstand gun is my car gun during the day.
I don't open and close the safe daily, would require me getting key out for that room. Unlocking the safe, then locking the key back up when done in the gun room.
I keep one other gun out of safe, hid for the better half. Othr than that all guns are locked up, I don't really go anywhere other than to work. If we are going out somewhere I will get my carry gun out of the safe and put nightstand gun up and it usually becomes the nightstand gun until the weekend range trip.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:13   #5
Indianashooter

My nightstand gun and carry gun are one and the same.
Indianashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 20:08   #6
MLittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianashooter View Post

Same thing here...... Take it off....set it on my bedside table when I go to bed and put it back on when I get up in the morning. Simple.....only one loaded gun out at a time....and its either on my hip or within armsreach...
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 20:54   #7
GlockFish
Floyd

Quote:
Me too.

Oh, I also have an 870 full of 00 that stays next to the night stand 24/7.
Old 11-14-2012, 21:16   #8
wheelsoffreedom76

Last edited by wheelsoffreedom76; 12-04-2012 at 15:08..
wheelsoffreedom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 21:27   #9
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

My nightstand gun is in a lockbox, bolted to the bed frame that has four buttons,a hand indentation and spring loaded door so I can put in the code blindly and quickly, the door pops open, I reach in and there it is. Essentially, my "nightstand gun" is always locked up.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:59   #10
Comedian

Quote:
Same here.
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17   #11
RRP

Quote:
~
There are two parts to this question.
  1. Ensuring your guns are safe from unauthorized people.
  2. Ensuring unauthorized people are safe from your guns.
Other responses addressed #1; protecting against theft. Equally important is protecting kids from accessing your loaded weapons.

You don't state that you live alone. If you have children, please consider #2.

Last edited by RRP; 11-15-2012 at 02:17..
RRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28   #12
collim1
Shower Time!

I'm in and out of my safe a few times a day. Take out my carry gun, put carry gun up before bed and get the 870 out, and so on.

Better than having them stolen in a burglary while I am out.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:29   #13
Bruce M

It will not be excessive the first time you are burglarized if that protects the guns that are there.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:29   #14
2740dmx

Ihave a small handgun safe bolted to my closet floor (and disguised as a small table) and I put my handgun in there EVERY time that I leave the house (unless I am carrying it).

For me, taking an extra 30 seconds to secure it.....could prevent unforeseen problems (theft, or accidental shooting by visiting family children, possibly even thief using it against me)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31   #15
checkyoursix

Quote:
This is it, right there.

Bertrand Russell
checkyoursix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:05   #16
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
My nightstand gun is in a lockbox, bolted to the bed frame that has four buttons,a hand indentation and spring loaded door so I can put in the code blindly and quickly, the door pops open, I reach in and there it is. Essentially, my "nightstand gun" is always locked up.
Good advice if the circumstances suit your lifestyle. This makes sure that you are fully awake before delivering terminal force to an unidentified individual in your home at night.

Quote:

This too.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.

Last edited by Lior; 11-15-2012 at 07:06..
Lior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38   #17
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
Good advice if the circumstances suit your lifestyle. This makes sure that you are fully awake before delivering terminal force to an unidentified individual in your home at night.

This too.
It also takes no more time than opening a nightstand draw and removing it. I did the back and forth on locking my bedside gun up every morning and taking it back out at night, but that got old quickly so I found a better solution.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42   #18
ChicagoZman

Gun leaves the house with me and returns to its night location when I go to bed. Other guns are placed in and removed from safe as needed.
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
Other Handguns: Several
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:50   #19
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I don't have a nightstand gun. When I go to bed I place my EDC underneath my pillow and sleep that way.

This said, the thought of coming home to have to face one of my own guns is abhorrent to me. Generally, I follow the golden rule, 'Never leave a loaded gun or a living enemy behind you.' I can only imagine what it might be like to come home with a mouse gun in your pocket and have to face your own G-17!

Sure sounds like a no-win situation to me.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:04   #20
jthrelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
I can only imagine what it might be like to come home with a mouse gun in your pocket and have to face your own G-17!

precisely why I began locking up the 17!!!

need to think of a clever solution for the 12 gauge
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16   #21
Genin
Designated Left

If it's not on me or within arm's reach it's locked away. I have no option but to lock up everytime because I have children. I cannot be lazy or it could be disastrous, although my children have been taught firearm safety it's not a risk I am ever will to take...EVER. Plus I don't want some ahole breaking in and taking my guns. Those suckers are expensive and I'm kind of attached to them and all
Genin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26   #22
unit1069

Quote:
... the thought of coming home to have to face one of my own guns is abhorrent to me.
Absolutely. Fortunately we own a home and I have a small safe secured firmly to the wall in the basement storage room. If a gun isn't on me or within reach it's locked up. I came to firearms self-defense relatively late in life (less than a decade ago) but the more I learn the more I know you can't be too careful.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31   #23
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I don't have a nightstand gun. When I go to bed I place my EDC underneath my pillow and sleep that way.

This said, the thought of coming home to have to face one of my own guns is abhorrent to me. Generally, I follow the golden rule, 'Never leave a loaded gun or a living enemy behind you.' I can only imagine what it might be like to come home with a mouse gun in your pocket and have to face your own G-17!

That isn't something I worry much about.

I would rather have firearms accessible to me, where I am, when I am home...and without having to get them out every single time I leave/return. For example, there is a revolver in a holster in the coffee table drawer directly beneath the laptop I am currently using. And there is a carbine in the corner of my bedroom. It would be rather bothersome to have to put them away and then take them back out because I went to the store.

With the monitored alarm, and the dogs, and the door/window security, it is highly unlikely that I would walk into my home and not know somebody had broken in.

Also, I think the biggest problem that you listed is the fact that you carry a mouse gun. Maybe what you are realizing here is that you should carry a real gun?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34   #24
mj9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
same for me
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 13:11   #25
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Nope - don't have a lock for them. The gun locks I have are all used for locking helmets to motorcycles.

I've been leaving numerous guns out and unlocked since I bought my first gun at 21. No problems in the last 25 years.