GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2013, 17:30   #1
Rec4LMS

Problem with recharging the AC in a Ford Tarus...

I like to think that I have a little automotive mechanical skill. Unfortunately, I purchased a 2005 Ford Taurus back in 2005... Other than having to replace the altinato, I've had to do nothing to the engine except basic maintenance. (Oil, tire, belts, spark plugs, et al.)

Unfortunately, I'm starting to run into problems. (I'm going to skip the issues with replacing the radio because I'm pretty weak at electrical issues all in all.) Today I tried to recharge the AC. (It's not cold.) Ran the engine, turned the AC on max, and hooked up the refrigerant to low-side service port. Should have been good, but when I hit the button there was no flow of gas into the system.

So... What is the problem that I'm looking at? I don't have a tool to check the pressure in the AC system. (I'll need to pick one up tomorrow.) I'm hoping it's not a mechanical problem, as I prefer a cheap solution. But if I can't recharge the AC...

"The number of casualties at the site of an attempted mass shooting is usually determined by whether the gun used to stop the killer is already at the site, or whether it must be carried there in the holster of a police officer."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Rec4LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:22   #2
ManWitaBigStick24

Without any gauges it would be a guess, but if your high and low side psi are about the same probably a compressor. If its not taking a charge I would start at the TXV or thermal expansion valve. You also could be over charged, check the front of your condenser maybe melted plastic shopping bag melted into it I have seen this before.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:03   #3
VC-Racing
General Flunky

You probably have a bad o ring in a line. Find a competent ac shop and let them fix it unless you have the line tool, vac pump, gauges and refrigerant. Replace all serviceable parts.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-20-2013, 18:31   #4
1955mercury

Hi Rec4LMS. Is the compressor clutch engaging? There's a pressure switch on the lines that has to make before the clutch will actuate. If the freon is real low, the pressure want be enough to make this switch and the compressor want pull the pressure down enough on the suction side for it to be lower than the freon container you're trying to charge the system with. Just a wild guess. And if you're charging it with those small cans, try putting the can in a container of hot water and run your garden hose on the condenser coil while you charge the system.
1955mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 20:54   #5
swoh

Too much refrigerant can have as many issues as too little, starting with blowing seals. The only certain way to know if you've got enough refrigerant is to weigh it, like the pros do. Depending on how long the system has been open, you proably need a new receiver drier and the POE oils commonly used can undergo hydrolysis and themselves become corrosive in addition to the water trapped in system. Getting a pro to charge it with the right equipment can save aggravation and damage.
swoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 20:13   #6
Maxx702
Infamous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoh View Post
Too much refrigerant can have as many issues as too little, starting with blowing seals. The only certain way to know if you've got enough refrigerant is to weigh it, like the pros do. Depending on how long the system has been open, you proably need a new receiver drier and the POE oils commonly used can undergo hydrolysis and themselves become corrosive in addition to the water trapped in system. Getting a pro to charge it with the right equipment can save aggravation and damage.
Not to mention the importance of evacuating any existing refrigerant then placing the system under a vacuum before recharging.

IMO those do it ourself charge kits are pretty useless nowadays on the newer systems with such smaller capacities.
Maxx702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 22:35   #7
Oscar23

+1 to checking to see if the compressor clutch is even engaging before trying anything else.
Oscar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22   #8
Rec4LMS

Quick update. I had overcharged it when I assumed that it was low on refrigerant. The system was evacuated and recharged properly.

So, now it works "more often." It still has intermittent outages. The clutch appears to be engaging, but when the system shuts off it always takes a bit to get a spot to pull over. (It does not help that the system is almost underneath the engine.) The shop can't find the problem because it is intermittent. However I will note that one of the guys let me know that they had seen a similar issue with the Taurus where the AC failure was due to a bad electrical ground.

I'm half thinking of pricing a new clutch and condenser and trying to swap it out myself. (Where did I put my penetrating oil?) But knowing my luck, something else would be the problem. LOL!

"The number of casualties at the site of an attempted mass shooting is usually determined by whether the gun used to stop the killer is already at the site, or whether it must be carried there in the holster of a police officer."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Rec4LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 21:26   #9
1955mercury

I'm curious. Why do you pull over and what do you do when you pull over? And what leads you to believe it is the clutch and condenser that is your problem? If the clutch is engaging, I wouldn't think that would be your problem. And the condenser is basically like a radiator, if it's clean and not leaking, it should be fine. Is your interior fan blowing air or does it stop blowing? Can you give a more detail description of what's going on when it quits on you?
Also in your first post about this problem you stated you couldn't get any Freon to go into the system. So how could you have overcharged it, if you couldn't put any in it?

Last edited by 1955mercury; 06-07-2013 at 10:15..
Old 06-07-2013, 16:12   #10
vikingsoftpaw

Ford Taurus' AC compressors are notorious for defective o-ring seals. My AC system held a charge less than 24 hours. The solution is to replace the compressor.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 14:08   #11
1955mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw View Post
Ford Taurus' AC compressors are notorious for defective o-ring seals. My AC system held a charge less than 24 hours. The solution is to replace the compressor.
But Rec4LMS states the problem is intermittent. O-ring seals will not cause an intermittent problem. If they are bad, the Freon will leak out and the system quits working.
Old 06-08-2013, 17:44   #12
Remington 870

Dear op you need to do a total reclaim of the refrigerant in your system. Then pull a vacume for at least 1 hour. Then find out where your leak is. Most of the time its the condenser up in front of the radiator. Or the evaporator up in the dash area. Or possibly a hose. But that is the basics. When there is a large leak in the a/c system you have a pressure not a vacuum and that will prevent new gas from entering your system.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Remington 870 is offline   Reply With Quote