Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18   #1
21Glock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: outside Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 427
.460 Rowland kit in Glock 21, load data and chronograph results?

I'm thinking of converting my Gen 3 21 or Gen 4 21 that I'll get in Jan.2013 to a .460 Rowland. Anyone have load data that they have used in their 21 converted to .460 Rowland and chronograph results for185gr- 230gr. bullets?
I have used .45 Supers in my Gen3 21(properly set-up, of course) before and wonder if there is that much increase in power going to the .460 Rowland over a .45 Super? I know the operating pressures are a good bit more in the .460 over the .45 Super.


Thanks!

Last edited by 21Glock; 11-19-2012 at 16:13..
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 00:04   #2
WeeWilly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PRK
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Glock View Post
I'm thinking of converting my Gen 3 21 or Gen 4 21 that I'll get in Jan.2013 to a .460 Rowland. Anyone have load data that they have used in their 21 converted to .460 Rowland and chronograph results for185gr- 230gr. bullets?
I have used .45 Supers in my Gen3 21(properly set-up, of course) before and wonder if there is that much increase in power going to the .460 Rowland over a .45 Super? I know the operating pressures are a good bit more in the .460 over the .45 Super.


Thanks!
200 fps for the 230gr pills (300fps the way I have been loading 230's in my 45Super/G21SF package).

I am going to give the kit a try as well.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 11-20-2012 at 00:05..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:16   #3
21Glock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: outside Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
200 fps for the 230gr pills (300fps the way I have been loading 230's in my 45Super/G21SF package).

I am going to give the kit a try as well.
That's impressive! I talked with Thomas, Johnny's partner and manager yesterday. I like the fact that I can shoot .45 ACP, .45 Super and .460 Rowland from the same set up.

There is a guy with a new video on You Tube who tests the kit in his G21 with various .460 factory ammo. Type in Glock 21 in 460 Rowland. His You Tube name is Mr. Redbull. He chronyed the 185gr. .460 at 1500 fps, 230 1360-1375fps from Underwood ammo.
What surprised me most was how effective the comp was on his gun. Recoil very manageable for a gun with .44 Mag. ballistics. It looks like the ultimate woods carry gun. More potent than the 10mm and .45 Super for sure.
I would like to get some load data when I get my kit so I can duplicate the velocity of the Underwood ammo or at least get close enough.

Last edited by 21Glock; 11-20-2012 at 09:17..
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08   #4
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,729
It's faster than the Super, but by how much seems to vary. What I'm seeing is:

185gr JHP between 1500-1550 fps
200gr JHP between 1400-1450 fps
230gr JHP between 1300-1350 fps
260gr JHP around 1150 fps

I've not messed with it myself, but in my .45 Super setup, a Gen4 G21 w/ 4 port KKM barrel (5" barrel), I'm getting:

185 gr JHP - ?? I haven't tried any, but don't see 1450fps as being a problem, since...
200gr JHP @ 1375 fps
230gr JHP @ 1200 fps
255gr WFN @ 1150 fps

I have chronographed all my .45 Super loads. I know that the 460 Rowland offers a little bit more, but I always keep this in mind:

The .45 Super is throwing .45 ACP bullets quite a bit faster than the .45 ACP can. In a way this is good, but then again, you end up pushing a bullet faster than it's designed to operate. .357 Mag has bullets specifically designed for the extra velocity over the 38 Special. 357 Sig has bullets that are specifically designed for the extra velocity over the 9mm. This isn't the case with the .460 Rowland/.45 Super and the .45 ACP bullets they use (or 10mm vs. .40!). Granted, you can use some .45 cal revolver bullets in the Rowland/Super, but there aren't tons of options there.

So...since a 185gr .45 JHP will work well at ~1100 fps, it has poor sectional density. Drive that bullet 350-450 fps faster and it will act like a grenade and give poor penetration. It's my belief that all .45 ACP JHP bullets work their best at under 1200 fps. That's just my .02, however, but it is fun to mess around with the .45 Super, and I'm sure the 460 Rowland too.
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 13:39   #5
21Glock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: outside Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
It's faster than the Super, but by how much seems to vary. What I'm seeing is:

185gr JHP between 1500-1550 fps
200gr JHP between 1400-1450 fps
230gr JHP between 1300-1350 fps
260gr JHP around 1150 fps

I've not messed with it myself, but in my .45 Super setup, a Gen4 G21 w/ 4 port KKM barrel (5" barrel), I'm getting:

185 gr JHP - ?? I haven't tried any, but don't see 1450fps as being a problem, since...
200gr JHP @ 1375 fps
230gr JHP @ 1200 fps
255gr WFN @ 1150 fps

I have chronographed all my .45 Super loads. I know that the 460 Rowland offers a little bit more, but I always keep this in mind:

The .45 Super is throwing .45 ACP bullets quite a bit faster than the .45 ACP can. In a way this is good, but then again, you end up pushing a bullet faster than it's designed to operate. .357 Mag has bullets specifically designed for the extra velocity over the 38 Special. 357 Sig has bullets that are specifically designed for the extra velocity over the 9mm. This isn't the case with the .460 Rowland/.45 Super and the .45 ACP bullets they use (or 10mm vs. .40!). Granted, you can use some .45 cal revolver bullets in the Rowland/Super, but there aren't tons of options there.

So...since a 185gr .45 JHP will work well at ~1100 fps, it has poor sectional density. Drive that bullet 350-450 fps faster and it will act like a grenade and give poor penetration. It's my belief that all .45 ACP JHP bullets work their best at under 1200 fps. That's just my .02, however, but it is fun to mess around with the .45 Super, and I'm sure the 460 Rowland too.
Yes, I agree on the bullets for sure. The factory .460 ammo is using some Nosler bonded HP bullets from what I understand. the .45 revolver bullets might be an option as well. I think this round is just now coming into it's own and more bullets and ammo designed for it will be coming out soon.
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:21.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 807
225 Members
582 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31