Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2012, 21:01   #326
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspark View Post
Nope, they're still stuck between 9mm and .45.
Nope, there is no one else out there debating caliber wars like us. No other intelligent society has survived the discovery of the 10mm.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:12   #327
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Nope, there is no one else out there debating caliber wars like us. No other intelligent society has survived the discovery of the 10mm.
Evolution, condensed version:

Amoeba -->
Reptiliomorph Labyrinthodonts -->
Therapsids -->
Oligokyphus's -->
Humans with sticks ->>
Humans with 10 mm Glocks ->>
Amoeba
czsmithGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:49   #328
50 Cent

The Okie Corral

After a hard day of kicking Alien ass, Dr Shaw re-hydrates. She vows to never again go to crappy planets where the atmosphere won’t support a smoke break.
Old 12-11-2012, 22:07   #329
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Cent View Post
The Okie Corral

After a hard day of kicking Alien ass, Dr Shaw re-hydrates. She vows to never again go to crappy planets where the atmosphere won’t support a smoke break.

I think I saw that movie (or pieces of it) on a plane this weekend. Prometheus? If that was the movie, they were not aliens...I think we were spawned from them, IIRC.

Last edited by Gallium; 12-11-2012 at 22:08..
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:26   #330
50 Cent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
I think I saw that movie (or pieces of it) on a plane this weekend. Prometheus? If that was the movie, they were not aliens...I think we were spawned from them, IIRC.
Yup - Prometheus. But spawned or not they were still aliens so we might be splitting hairs.

Besides, every thread can use a little Noomi goodness.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:45   #331
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post

This would explain the complete lack of intelligent signals received by us to date...

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23   #332
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
Is there a direction to that angular momentum, say, like a right-hand twist on an incoming bullet? Or is it random?

--Ray
It's not random; we talk about it as right-handed or left-handed twist just like on a bullet. When quantum angular momentum was first discovered people thought it actually was something tiny spinning like that, but we now believe that it's not. We're not really sure why things that aren't actually spinning have angular momentum, but they do.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:13   #333
sarge83

I am a conservative Christian and I believe that life possible exists elsewhere in the universe.

I had an uncle who was a cop in the 1960's in Dayton, OH. He was working a night shift and he once told me about him and his partner out one night around 2:00-3:00am doing a patrol at a manufacturing plant that was near Wright-Patterson air force base. He said they had reports of some theft and vandalism at the plant when no one was there at night and could they keep an eye out maybe do an extra patrol.

So they got to the plant and were out and were walking around, all was quite and he says him and his partner turned a corner and out in a field was a flying saucer about 100 feet or so in the air just hovering. He said they just froze and all of a sudden without a sound it just shot off out of sight in a second. He said they both stood there a minute not saying a word looking up and finally he said to his partner, did you see anything? No came the response. My uncle says, me either, lets get out of here.
sarge83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:28   #334
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
It's not random; we talk about it as right-handed or left-handed twist just like on a bullet. When quantum angular momentum was first discovered people thought it actually was something tiny spinning like that, but we now believe that it's not. We're not really sure why things that aren't actually spinning have angular momentum, but they do.

Curiouser and curiouser...

I would appreciate your indulgence a little further...

Are the occasional positrons detected in a collider like the LHC you work with, simply detected, or somehow induced by the device?

--Ray
Old 12-15-2012, 06:12   #335
czsmithGT

Quote:
Curiouser and curiouser...

I would appreciate your indulgence a little further...

Are the occasional positrons detected in a collider like the LHC you work with, simply detected, or somehow induced by the device?

--Ray
If you have ever had a PET scan, you have had positrons formed and annihilated inside your body.
Old 12-15-2012, 13:33   #336
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
If you have ever had a PET scan, you have had positrons formed and annihilated inside your body.
No wonder it hurts so much, there was a tiny war going on inside!

J/K PET scans don't hurt.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 22:49   #337
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
J/K PET scans don't hurt.

Sure, they tell you that to get you in there!

--Ray
Old 12-15-2012, 22:51   #338
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post

So, these machines, the PET scanners and colliders induce antimatter (a/k/a positrons)?

--Ray
Old 12-17-2012, 11:35   #339
RayB
Retired Member

Bump!

Quote:
So, these machines, the PET scanners and colliders induce antimatter (a/k/a positrons)?
--Ray
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00   #340
czsmithGT

Quote:

--Ray
With a PET scan a radioactive tracer isotope is injected into the body. It undergoes positron emission decay. The positrons annhilate electrons which causes a pair of photons to be released which are detected by a scintillator-photomultiplier