Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-22-2012, 18:12   #51
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
What? What's this? You can't make a profit selling new cars below invoice? That's news to me!

One word: Holdback

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Years ago a car dealer in Minneapolis advertised on TV that "they lose a little money on every car but they make it up in volume". (woody Harrier "Your cars guardian angel")

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 18:18   #52
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
What? What's this? You can't make a profit selling new cars below invoice? That's news to me!

One word: Holdback

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
If you think "holdback" is the "one word" in this issue, you dont know this issue....hell for one thing (among many) "holdback" might not even be there for a particular deal.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 18:20   #53
bobtheelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedog View Post
Watch a few episodes of Ancient Aliens and you'll be left considering the fact that we have been visited by beings odder than our in laws
And he has crazy ass hair, too.
The Okie Corral
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 18:24   #54
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
If you think "holdback" is the "one word" in this issue, you dont know this issue....hell for one thing (among many) "holdback" might not even be there for a particular deal.
Prove it. Where is the math? I demands to see it.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 18:24   #55
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

They say there are more stars, planets, and galaxies, than grains of sand on earth. It would be pretty arrogant of us, to believe we are the only grain of sand with life on it.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 18:29   #56
GeorgiaGlocker
IBTL

I have a friend who absolutely believes in aliens. He use to be married to her.

www.georgiacarry.org
GeorgiaGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 18:32   #57
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Prove it. Where is the math? I demands to see it.
Yeah, because being real high speed at "poker math" makes you ready for differential equations and the art of the car deal

(sorry low hanging fruit, again, I often like Oliesrevenge but his take on math and his abilities on it are...off.)

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 11-22-2012, 18:40   #58
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
Whadda you guys think?]
Not sure about the Chinese ones although they also look like missiles but the glowing spiral over Norway was a failed Russian missile test.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...p-norways-sky/
Old 11-22-2012, 18:49   #59
engineer151515

Wouldn't matter. NASA can declare a discovery and the same people who believe the Moon landings were faked would cry "fraud"!

Maybe NASA already found it

http://www.space.com/18565-mars-rove...y-mystery.html

I'm thinking they found the garbage pile the aliens left when they decided to move away from that low rent planet next door.

Last edited by engineer151515; 11-23-2012 at 06:49..
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 18:52   #60
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

BTW Ollie, you want some math.

A range between 10^80 and 10^83

That functionally represents the amount of atoms in the Universe. No matter how big and scary a number that is, it is still a number. A number that we can extrapolate a lot of other math from.

When you start to observe the universe and start plugging the numbers we have into a model, you start to learn things about the universe. Yes, we dont know a lot of things and many of the things we do know exist within a range, not an absolute answer(as we know it anyways) but the model we have built for the universe keeps proving right. The data points we discover keep "fitting" into that model. (that means the predictive nature of the model is generally correct...and points us in directions)

This is that model (in one way)

The Okie Corral

Since you wanted math (so you could see for yourself) can you tell me what this says about a Higgs?

Can you tell me what this is called?

To be honest, this is Devildog math, not my field but I can grind may way through it, slowly and perhaps with a lifeline.

What the hell are you going to do with it?

Last edited by Rabbi; 11-22-2012 at 18:53..
Old 11-22-2012, 18:53   #61
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
The dealership can sell any new car on the lot below invoice and make a profit if they watch their overhead.

Typical hold-back on a new American car will range from $500 to $2000.

Pack will usually be at least $400 to $900 above invoice and the salesman doesn't make a percentage of anything unless he gets something above the Pack and only on the money over pack. Otherwise it will be a mini deal and he will make $100 or so.

Having said all that, I wasn't around for the original "issue" so I will defer to your first hand knowledge since you were there and I wasn't.

Regards,
Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 11-22-2012 at 18:57..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 18:58   #62
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Years ago a car dealer in Minneapolis advertised on TV that "they lose a little money on every car but they make it up in volume". (woody Harrier "Your cars guardian angel")
Youtube: Big Bill Hell's.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:01   #63
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
The dealership can sell any new car on the lot below invoice and make a profit if they watch their overhead.

Typical hold-back on a new American car will range from $500 to $2000.

Pack will usually be at least $400 to $900 above invoice and the salesman doesn't make a percentage of anything unless he gets something above the Pack and only on the money over pack. Otherwise it will be a mini deal and he will make $100 or so.

Having said all that, I wasn't around for the original "issue" so I will defer to your first hand knowledge.

Regards,
Happyguy
This post continues to demonstrate a lack of understanding of how it works.

For an example, Holdback is (for most makes) a % of the car (sometimes from invoice other makes from other numbers) that is designed to pay interest on the floorplan.

Again, as I said, Holdback can run out. If a car has been on the lot long enough, there may be no holdback left on that unit. You claimed this was the end all be all on profit below/behind invoice. It isnt. Not even close. (nor is PAC or anything new you have introduced in your newest post)

You may know and understand these things. They are not overly complicated nor much of a secret but your posts dont reflect a functional knowlege of such things.

Old 11-22-2012, 19:02   #64
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
Youtube: Big Bill Hell's.
I love that one! It has been around a while but man, it still makes me laugh!

Old 11-22-2012, 19:18   #65
MulletLoad

Got a feeling we're just some intergalatic mold. Get the right narrow band of tempurature and humidity, and sooner or later some comet or rock drops some frozen spores on a planet and crap starts growing.

FYI, GorkTalk.com is the biggest bbs board on this side of the Milky Way. 30 star systems and at least a trillion posters, with at least 300 billion of those considered to be "intelligent life"
MulletLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:22   #66
jdavionic
NRA Member

I don't know if they exist or not. But if they do, the little bastards better pay "their fair share". I'm not going put up with these little green things flying around in their luxury spaceships while the poor in America struggle to put food on the table.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:29   #67
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
I don't know if they exist or not. But if they do, the little bastards better pay "their fair share". I'm not going put up with these little green things flying around in their luxury spaceships while the poor in America struggle to put food on the table.
What about those evil humanoid Reptilian kitten eaters? As far as I know they have never paid a dime in taxes and since they live way underground and can see in the dark they have no heating or electric bills. Why should they get a free ride?
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:41   #68
OlliesRevenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Yes.

Also, it is far more efficient to find the answers you seek than to ask folks to "prove" anything, if answers are truly what you seek. It cannot come across but anything but arrogant to DEMAND that someone prove something to you - even if they made an assertion, hypothesis or claim a fact.
\
I don't want to seem confrontational, but it is honestly tripping me out that my post has caused such controversy. I even said please and thank you. All I asked for was a link.

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
~Henry David Thoreau

Remember always: The government is not the country!
OlliesRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:43   #69
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
What about those evil humanoid Reptilian kitten eaters? As far as I know they have never paid a dime in taxes and since they live way underground and can see in the dark they have no heating or electric bills. Why should they get a free ride?
So you're saying there is a place where reptilian kitten eaters get a free ride? Interesting.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:43   #70
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge View Post
I don't want to seem confrontational, but it is honestly tripping me out that my post has caused such controversy. I even said please and thank you. All I asked for was a link.
I dont think you realize how you come off...and it isnt good sometimes.

I have a similar problem but I often dont care. You seem like you do.

Old 11-22-2012, 19:47   #71
Haldor
Retired EE

I would put the probability at 100%. It is looking like there are more planets in this galaxy than there are people on Earth. The odds against this being the only planet with life on it would be literally astronomical.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:48   #72
OlliesRevenge

Quote:
listen, I like your POV on somethings, it is often "outside the box" but you have to drop this strange belief(almost an odd crusade) of yours that there are no mathematicians here...and lets be honest, by your own admission, you wouldnt understand that math anyways.

Devildog has a PhD from a very prestigious school in Physics. I have an undergrad in physics and a graduate degree in mathematics (specializing in statistical modeling)from not so prestigious schools. There are many others here as well with engineering and science heavy educations.

If I asked you to do a Lorentz transformation between two points in 4 positions in space-time, you couldnt. Would "showing you the math" that you wouldnt understand change a laymans understanding of what that means?...or do you simply not believe people know what they are talking about?

BTW, you are flat out wrong. YOU may have never seen me post "the math" but I have plenty of times. Plenty of times and no one here who can do the math has ever had a problem with it, just you, who cant do that math.
You are correct, there is a limit to my capability with math. But all I really asked for was to see the math, or a link.

Back on topic; it is just counterintuitive to me that a large expanse of nothing could exist beyond something. Isn't "nothing" by definition "something"? For example, if the universe is expanding, then it has to be expanding into something, if that something is nothing, then wouldn't that nothing have to have some kind of measurable quantity of space in order for our universe to expand into it?

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
~Henry David Thoreau

Remember always: The government is not the country!
OlliesRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:49   #73
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
This post continues to demonstrate a lack of understanding of how it works.

For an example, Holdback is (for most makes) a % of the car (sometimes from invoice other makes from other numbers) that is designed to pay interest on the floorplan.

Again, as I said, Holdback can run out. If a car has been on the lot long enough, there may be no holdback left on that unit. You claimed this was the end all be all on profit below/behind invoice. It isnt. Not even close. (nor is PAC or anything new you have introduced in your newest post)

You may know and understand these things. They are not overly complicated nor much of a secret but your posts dont reflect a functional knowlege of such things.
I guess if you can't move your inventory that would be a problem. Haven't had that issue here.

We rarely sell below invoice though, except every now and then on customer ordered units.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 11-22-2012 at 19:50..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:51   #74
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
So you're saying there is a place where reptilian kitten eaters get a free ride? Interesting.
It's pretty well documented that in 1934 a geophysical mining engineer discovered subterranean labyrinths beneath Los Angeles to an underground city built by an advanced race of "Lizard People" to escape surface catastrophes some 5,000 years ago. I read it on the Internet so it must be true.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:52   #75
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge View Post
You are correct, there is a limit to my capability with math. But all I really asked for was to see the math, or a link.

Back on topic; it is just counterintuitive to me that a large expanse of nothing could exist beyond something. Isn't "nothing" by definition "something"? For example, if the universe is expanding, then it has to be expanding into something, if that something is nothing, then wouldn't that nothing have to have some kind of measurable quantity of space in order for our universe to expand into it?
No, 0 is 0.

You are trying to define the arbitrary symbol for it as something. The arbitrary symbol just represents it. We have to have a way to define the absence of something. Nothing is nothing (assuming it is nothing)

The other side of that is Time. You are trying to define something quantum(or beyond quantum) with a Newtonian understanding.

Ill bet Devildog has a better parable than this (again this is his field) but if time doesnt exist, there is no existence. Our expanding universe "triggers" time as it expands and thus the bubble of what is grows. Beyond that point, there is nothing.

Last edited by Rabbi; 11-22-2012 at 19:57..