SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-22-2012, 22:31   #1
PettyOfficer

GSSF San Antonio... Dec 1st and 2nd

Who's heading to SA on the 1st?

I'm looking to head to my first outdoor event, hope to hit all the plates and meet a few folks.

I'll probably drive in from Houston Friday night and stay at a friends house and be at the range at 8:30 to register (should I get there earlier to be in line?).

What's the setup like at the range? Do they have multitude of bays or just a few?

How many shooters/entries were there last year? I didn't see a S-TX in the '12 Report for the '11-'12 # of entries, is this the first year?

I'm rather excited if ya can't tell!

I've read through the report, but I can't seem to figure out how many rounds I'd need for each entry. I was thinking of 3-5 entries and have no idea how many rounds to bring.

If somebody wants to pay for two of my entries, ill let you sign me in as a new member/first time shooter to get yourself an extra entry for the drawing .

Is there anywhere near the range for lunch or should I bring my own?

Anything else I should be asking? I hope to meet some of my fellow Lone Star glockers.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:48   #2
ede
Bama's Friend

Wish I could say I am, but I'm not. Frustrating for me because I'll be in Houston for the next two weeks but can't make the match.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:55   #3
TK-421

I definitely would if I wasn't flat broke. Just spent my last pennies buying some ammo so I can have my home defense gun loaded, it's been empty the last few weeks.

But hopefully someone will finally call me back and give me an interview, so I can start participating in 2013.

Hope you have fun, I can't wait for my first time shooting. For the first time, I think I've read between 100 and 150 rounds per event you plan to shoot, but I could be off by a bit, my memory is notoriously horrible. I say go on the safe side, bring 200 per event, use it as an excuse to buy more ammo, if you don't have enough stockpiled.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:31   #4
James5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyOfficer View Post

I'll probably drive in from Houston Friday night and stay at a friends house and be at the range at 8:30 to register (should I get there earlier to be in line?).I would preregister for the match if I were you. So you can avoid the wait in line

How many shooters/entries were there last year?302 in 2011 I didn't see a S-TX in the '12 Report for the '11-'12 # of entries, is this the first year?

I've read through the report, but I can't seem to figure out how many rounds I'd need for each entry. I was thinking of 3-5 entries and have no idea how many rounds to bring.150
rounds for each division you intend to shoot

Can't answer your other questions HTH
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26   #5
Don At PC

My wife and I had fully intended to go, even had all Hotel Reservations confirmed for a nice 6 day trip together but due to circumstances beyond my control we have cancelled the trip. Maybe next year.

Hope everyone has a great time. I have shot this match several years but missed last year and now have to miss this year.

Don
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Retired A.F. Chief 1961-1991
Don At PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:44   #6
lethal tupperwa

what James said,
Preregister.

also since this is your first make Sure

to sign up for the new shooters drawing.

One of the new shooters at that match WILL WIN a new Glock.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Last edited by lethal tupperwa; 11-23-2012 at 07:44..
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:38   #7
malladus
Glock Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to malladus
I've been shooting this match for a couple years now. Not sure I have all the answers, but here's what I know. Also I will be wearing a Ouray Search and Rescue hat and will be shooting both days (7-entries) so say hi if you see me.

malladus
Quote:
Who's headiing to SA on the 1st?

I'm looking to head to my first outdoor event, hope to hit all the plates and meet a few folks.

I'll probably drive in from Houston Friday night and stay at a friends house and be at the range at 8:30 to register (should I get there earlier to be in line?).

I think it was already said, but pre-register. Registration opens at 9am, I did the walk up thing the first year I shot the match, but never again. The registration area is a small trailer with one door next to the range store/office. It's a pain to get in and out of in a fast manner so the line drags. If you preregister they usually have your stickers outside and all you have to do is sign your release. You still need to go in to sign up for the new shooter gun, but if you forget you can do it anytime during the match.

They usually have the prereg stickers out and will start passing them out earlier then 9 which gives you a little extra time to hit the various stages and sign up early or walk the range some before guns go hot.

Also if you preregister you can wave the walk up registeration fee, but if you still go the walk up route, PM me and I will forward you Glock match email that gets them to wave the $10 walk up fee.

What's the setup like at the range? Do they have multitude of bays or just a few?

The match is hosted by two seperate clubs at the range and the range is run by several clubs. The Glock the plates is on the east east end right down from the office and registration trailer.

The Glock the plates stations has a covered sign up area and backs up to the main parking area so you can park and walk a short distance. There is a covered area at the sign in area where you can sit and wait until you are called to the line. They run two plate racks and the wait isn't usually that long. If you get the left hand rack it sometimes with drop the first plate on the left if you hit the one next two it. So watch the shooters and see how its acting. The right hand rack runs normal all the time. The have a table at the firing line for each rack so you can lay your stuff out. The club that runs the plate rack is really laid back and fun to talk too if you get some time.

The 5to GLock and GLock M are at the far west end of the range, follow the dirt road behind the club past a couple rifle bays and into a privacy fences area. This club does more USPA style shooting. They usually have 3 of each stage set up, but usually only use the third of each one for emergency crowd releif. Each area has a covered area for sign in. Becareful because they store their extra target stands under the roofs and if you aren't careful you can get a cool new scar.

All shooting positions are usually in the open, with a shooters box and two barrels. They have plenty of safe areas scattered around andboth clubs have been doing this for awhile so things tend to run smooth. The seem to use the same arrangements for the targets every year which tend to be the longer set ups so take your time and aim.

How many shooters/entries were there last year? I didn't see a S-TX in the '12 Report for the '11-'12 # of entries, is this the first year?

I beleive they have averaged over 300 if not close to 400 most years. Always seems to be a good crowd, any they usually make a good chunk of entries towards maximizing the random guns and most amateur divisons will have enough shooters so the 1st places can get the performance gun award and some cash for 2nd and sometimes 3rd

I've read through the report, but I can't seem to figure out how many rounds I'd need for each entry. I was thinking of 3-5 entries and have no idea how many rounds to bring.

For each non-major sub entry the minimum round count is:

3 x 10 = 30 for GLock M
3 x 9 = 27 for 5 to Glock
4 x 6 = 24 for Glock the plates
total count = 81 rounds if you don't miss, a safer bet is:

11 rounds per a run
10 runs = 110 rounds per an entry

for major sub you need:

7 rounds per a run
10 runs = 70 rounds for that one entry

Also its good to bring a little extra incase you have to do a reshoot.

I shoot 7 entries (max for amateures) and I will bring:

4 entries in 9mm = 600 rounds 9mm
2 entries in 45 (one is submajor) = 300 rounds 45 (I usually lend my G30 to someone to shoot n major sub)
1 entry in 45 GAP = 200 rounds

Some folks will bring the bare minimum others need little carts, so use you judgement on what you feel like. But taking atleast 110 per an entry is a safe bet.

If somebody wants to pay for two of my entries, ill let you sign me in as a new member/first time shooter to get yourself an extra entry for the drawing .

Is there anywhere near the range for lunch or should I bring my own?

The range is kind of out in the middle of somewhere and nowhere. Not really any places that are relatively close other then some mexican place near where you turn to head from the country road to the road to the range. The range does usually have sacked lunches for sale at the range office at lunch. Usually its a BBQ sandwich, chips, pickle, and a drink for $5 or so.

I highly suggest you bring a few snacks and some bottled water. The office sales some, but its easier to bring your own stash and not have to trek back and forth to get some as you need it.

Anything else I should be asking? I hope to meet some of my fellow Lone Star glockers.

The range does have a little shop/office that sales some odds and ends. I think they still were saling ammo last year, but like all ranges the price and availability are subject to change without notice.

There is usually a vendor there from a local gunshop who is also a member of the GSSF and they will have Glock stuff and some other odds and ends for sale.

Glock will have the armorer their as well.

The two clubs that run the match are at opposite ends of the facility so if you are carrying a lot of stuff its a hard walk. They do have plenty of parking near each area though that is fairly close to the shooting bays so you can easiely shuttle back and forth with your vehicle. If it rains though beaware the USPSA clubs parking lot is that lovely texas red loam sand which makes it quite fun to drive in if it gets too wet.

Last edited by malladus; 11-23-2012 at 08:52..
malladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:19   #8
Clem

Don - sad to hear you & Karen will not be making the trip. Hope everything is OK & we see y'all down the road soon. Please tell everyone HI from us.

Malladus - excellent reply with tons of info for those who haven't shot with us in SA. One correction - for the first time in a decade, Donna and I will not be running the vendor table at the match. So, we'll be able to shoot Saturday afternoon (after work) and all day Sunday. Unsure if a replacement vendor has been lined up. Looking forward to seeing you and a bunch more friends! Travel safe & take care.

Tony
Lone Star Glockers #12
Collector's Corner #9
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42   #9
Ranger54

Hey all, will be heading down Friday afternoon from beautiful downtown Taylor, well, actually a bit south of downtown and have a hotel room for Fri and Sat nights. Due to many circumstances, have not been shooting much, so, will probably totally suck. Will try to finish my four divisions Saturday, then head back Sun morn. May or may not hit the SAXET show Sun.

Clem, any dinner plans yet?
Ranger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:47   #10
malladus
Glock Whore

Looking forward to seeing everyone as well. The father in law, Wyatt, and some friends will be heading down Friday. Were even bringing a new shooter or three hopefully. Is there going to be a GT get together?

malladus

Last edited by malladus; 11-23-2012 at 10:49..
malladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31   #11
PettyOfficer

Thanks for all the replies.. I have more questions but not the time to ask... I'll be back on later.

Cheers!

Old 11-23-2012, 11:32   #12
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by malladus View Post
Looking forward to seeing everyone as well. The father in law, Wyatt, and some friends will be heading down Friday...

malladus
Good luck to you and Norm and friends. I won't be making that match this year - I found that to be a heck of a drive from Tampa area. At least I was able to stay with and impose on friends last year.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 13:02   #13
PettyOfficer

First new question: the match is a week away, is it too late to pre-register? Just fax it?

Second question: I could do a GT dinner on Saturday but not Friday, anybody up for that? Mrs PettyOfficer might learn a thing or two from others and think that I'm less of a weirdo (she grew up in Illinois so I apologize in advance)

Old 11-23-2012, 13:51   #14
SARDG

Quote:
First new question: the match is a week away, is it too late to pre-register? Just fax it?
Pre-register up to noon on the Wednesday before the match. You may FAX, e-mail, or submit online - none of which is secure!
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 14:02   #15
Keyhole

I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
Old 11-23-2012, 17:07   #16
PettyOfficer

I'm 6'5" with a big belly and big laugh and will probably be wearing a gray Navy Tshirt unless its too cold and I'd have on a sweater or coat.

Old 11-25-2012, 23:20   #17
comeandtakeit05

I'll be coming down from Arlington on Friday night with a friend. It will be my first GSSF shoot. Hoping to shoot civilian and competition with my Gen 4 17. Anyone have any tips for a noob?
comeandtakeit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:06   #18
misunderestimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandtakeit05 View Post
I'll be coming down from Arlington on Friday night with a friend. It will be my first GSSF shoot. Hoping to shoot civilian and competition with my Gen 4 17. Anyone have any tips for a noob?
My best advice for anybody shooting a GSSF event is slow down.
Slower is smoother
and
smoother is faster

And all thought its been covered thoroughly pre register l
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 20:55   #19
PettyOfficer

I pre-registered today. Tomorrow is the deadline.

A fella shot 500 at my indoor event tonight, and he'll be there, sorry for the bad news

Old 11-28-2012, 18:19   #20
malladus
Glock Whore

Quote:
I pre-registered today. Tomorrow is the deadline.

A fella shot 500 at my indoor event tonight, and he'll be there, sorry for the bad news

Be interesting to see if that correlates to good in outdoor.

malladus