Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-23-2012, 16:58   #1
OhioGlockMan

Thureon Defense 10mm Carbine

Anybody here get a chance to play with Thureon's carbine in 10mm yet? Ive been seeing a lot of very positive video reviews on the 9mm version online which got my attention so I went to their website and they offer it in all popular pistol calibers including 10mm. I've been shooting my 357 mag compact light 16 inch barrel lever carbine a lot this year and really like carbines with 16 inch barrels. I also want something the women and children can enjoy, the 357 lever is a great gun recoil and weight wise for the ladies and youngsters but some do not have the upper body strength to work the lever action, and I've done my own research and development to come up with light recoil 10mm loads but I just have to agree with so many people on here that Glock NEEDS to come out with a single stack thinner profile 45 and 10mm for those of us with smaller hands out there.

Anyways I'm thinking a light 16 inch barrel semi auto carbine in 10mm would be a wonderful companion to the glock 10mm. I would think even with the hottest 10mm loads the recoil would be manageable by the smallest women and children too

Last edited by OhioGlockMan; 11-23-2012 at 17:00..
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 17:56   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

I was thinking of the Olymic Arms AR K10 chambered in 10mm, they also have a new magazine to go with the package and with a change in uppers it could be used with other cartridges as well!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 18:39   #3
copo9560

The 10mm is a pretty efficient cartridge - not sure going to 16 inch barrell will help ballistics near as much as a 357.

For kids and wife, try a 223/5.56. Very little recoil, very accurate and a lot less expensive to fire. Much wider range of firearms as well.

Have you picked up a 20 or 21 in SF configuration - they feel a lot smaller than the standard versions.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 19:37   #4
OhioGlockMan

copo9560, I meetup at this informal outdoor range a couple times a month on sundays with couple of my uncles, cousins, friends etc, and they all bring children, and we share guns. I actually do have a .223 right now, a savage axis/edge bolt action, and as a matter of fact that and my 357 carbine is every bodies favorite as far as having an overall enjoyable shooting experience, and we shoot everything from long range to short range informal bowling pin shooting. And yes the 223 is cheap to shoot, those little 55 grain pills are so miserly on lead. There is something about light short barrel carbine I really really like thats chambered for a cartridge for a handgun, I can't even put my finger on exactly why and I know the 10mm loadings very well from years of my own research and development. Its kinda like carbines are in a class of firearm all to themselves.

I have not held a model 20 or 21 SF, thought Im so upset because they came out with it shortly after I purchased my model 20!

Last edited by OhioGlockMan; 11-23-2012 at 19:39..
Old 11-24-2012, 11:29   #5
Andrew Wiggin

Pretty neat but I would have liked to see them make a version that would fit on a standard AR lower, using a mag conversion block. I don't want to file another Form 1. Ultimately, I want about an 8" barreled AR-type carbine with a can.

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 22:16   #6
Cam Cooke

Not me up here in Canada that short barrel would make the carbine restricted = can only take it to the gun range.

If the barrel is over 18.5" it is classed as non-restricted = I can take it any where I take a lever/pump/bolt/single shot to shoot it.

I know a couple of guys that have these guns both are happy with them.

I just found out about these a couple days ago I would definitely like to get my hands onto one in 10mm for myself.
Cam Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58   #7
Alfa33

Keltec makes the Sub 2000 in 40 cal. It is a 4.5 lb, 16" bbl semi auto rifle that uses Glok mags. Not quite as powerful as the 10mm, but you gain about 30% in energy over shooting it from a pistol. All of the reviews are very favorable and it is incredibly inexpensive.

If you already have a glock,you can get a Mech Tec. It converts your Glock to a carbine. I use my model 21 frame with a Mech Tec 10 MM upper. In that configuration I get 44 mag energy levels out of my 10 mm. It is a little heavy at about 6.5 lbs. Mine has a full quad rail, that brings it to about 7 lbs with sights. accuracy is excellent, sub 1" groups at 50 yds.
Alfa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:22   #8
OhioGlockMan

Alfa33,

I've been trying to get a Sub 2000 carbine in any caliber for a year now and literally can not find one anywhere, you have any idea whats going on?

I googled the mec tec glock conversion system and checked that out, man that sure is slick!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45   #9
Yondering

The Sub2K's are jsut hard to find. They kinda suck though; the folding feature is handy, but accuracy is pretty poor, and ergonomics (cheek weld vs sight alignment) are terrible. I got rid of mine when I realized I was just as accurate at 25 yards with my pistols as with the Sub2K.

The MechTech carbines, on the other hand, are good stuff. They are rugged and durable, and accurate.
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:45   #10
Alfa33

Carbines

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGlockMan View Post
Alfa33,

I've been trying to get a Sub 2000 carbine in any caliber for a year now and literally can not find one anywhere, you have any idea whats going on?

I googled the mec tec glock conversion system and checked that out, man that sure is slick!
It sounds like Yonderling has personal experience with the Keltec. I have heard they are not ergonomicly correct and somewhat difficult to shoot because of it. On behalf of the kel tec though, we are talking about a $300 rifle. My impression was they were reasonably accurate if you accommodate for the awkward cheek weld, etc. If I remember correctly I think most people reported 2" or so groups at 25yds. If you cut that in half by scoping it and finding a pet load ... In reality a 4" - 5" group at 100 yds is probably plenty sufficient given the energy of a 40 cal at that distance.

My understanding is that Keltec is a very small company with few employees. They shut down for vacations and have a hard time keeping up with orders.

My Mech Tec does seem to be very sturdy and is accurate. My only complaint is the chamber tolerances are "loose.". I imagine it helps it shoot reliably, but in my gun when I shoot heavy bullets (200 - 230 gn) hotly loaded, the case is not suitable for reloading (in my opinion.). Other than that, it is reliable, accurate, and gives a big boost in energy level over the same cartridge fired in a pistol. If you already have a Glock they are a good value. If you get one, get the "magnetic block.". That setup you can go from pistol to carbine in 10 seconds. I can sling 135 gn JHPs at crazy speeds and over 1050 fpe ... For home defense it is great! Even hotly loaded recoil is light, you can empty 20 rds on tgt in less than 10 seconds.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38   #11
OhioGlockMan

Alpha33, that sounds really neat about the mec tec carbine, why do you say the brass is not reloadable though with the hot loads? is the barrel unsupported that bad? Well lets hope we can still get mec tec units and even our glock 20's to shoot 20 rounds given the current state of affairs politically
Old 01-11-2013, 13:38   #12
Yondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa33 View Post
On behalf of the kel tec though, we are talking about a $300 rifle.
More like $400+, if you can find one. I sold mine, used, for $460. They are not worth what they cost. If you could find one for $300, it might be worth trying, because it would be easy to sell again later.
Old 01-11-2013, 13:40   #13
Yondering

Quote:
Alpha33, that sounds really neat about the mec tec carbine, why do you say the brass is not reloadable though with the hot loads? is the barrel unsupported that bad?
I'm interested in that too. Mine is a .45, not a 10mm, but it has more chamber support than any of my pistols, and can handle hotter loads with ease. The chamber in mine is completely supported, right up to the edge of the extractor groove.
Old 01-13-2013, 15:22   #14
Alfa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
More like $400+, if you can find one. I sold mine, used, for $460. They are not worth what they cost. If you could find one for $300, it might be worth trying, because it would be easy to sell again later.
I was recently quoted $295 plus tax, but that is LEO price. I decided to just stick with 10mm, it does everything the other can, and more.
Old 01-13-2013, 15:35   #15
Alfa33

Quote:
Alpha33, that sounds really neat about the mec tec carbine, why do you say the brass is not reloadable though with the hot loads? is the barrel unsupported that bad? Well lets hope we can still get mec tec units and even our glock 20's to shoot 20 rounds given the current state of affairs politically
It supports the case well in all areas, except just above the feed ramp. There the support is even less than a stock glock bbl, even worse when compared to my EFK barrel. It shoots factory ammo fine and the brass is fine to reload. It even shoots hotly loaded 135, 150 gn slugs and the brass is fine. I have only noticed a problem when loading 200 or 230 gn slugs at max pressure.
Mine is the only mech tec I have ever seen, so maybe it is anomaly?
Old 01-14-2013, 23:49   #16
Yondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa33 View Post
I was recently quoted $295 plus tax, but that is LEO price. I decided to just stick with 10mm, it does everything the other can, and more.
Is that quote from a place that has them in stock? If so, buy it, you can always sell it for more than that later. CDNN has been listing them about that price for a long time, but good luck actually getting one from them. I tried that for a while...
Old 01-15-2013, 16:48   #17
Alfa33

No, they said they would order it, and expect a few month wait. This was early Dec, before Sandy Hook, so the wait probably would be longer. It is an LEO price, it would not be appropriate to buy it and re-sell it.