GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:28   #1
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Modifying my Sig p226

I am debating sending my W. German sig p226 to Sig for factory servicing and night sights(clean it, change out all worn parts) and possibly having them change it from DA/SA to DAK or getting the short reset trigger.

The gun was completely stock and hasn't been completely taken apart from the time my dad bought it(early 90s) to the time he gave it to me in 2009. All I did was put some hogue grips on it.

My question to everyone is, is it worth it? From both a modification and money standpoint. Or should I leave it the way it is, and just get a new guide rod and night sights and save myself the few hundred bucks.

I should add that the gun is in amazing condition except for possible wear on the internals. My dad and I take amazing care of our firearms.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31   #2
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Old 11-27-2012, 12:54   #3
JimIsland

How many rounds are through it?? approx
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54   #4
CAcop

Go to sigforum.com for more info but from what I understand older Sigs can't be converted to DAK. They can be converted to DAO though. It has to do with a deeper cut in the frame to allow for the DAK trigger bar to move.

You can convert them to SRT triggers. That is what I plan on doing at some point in the future.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 19:53   #5
Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIsland View Post
How many rounds are through it?? approx
I'm going to guess somewhere between 8 and 15,000 rounds.

Old 11-27-2012, 20:56   #6
Rinspeed
JAFO

My friend just got his 225 back from Sig and they did a great job.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 21:06   #7
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

They did a great job on my 228, got night sights, trigger job, and target crown.
For the last time

Last edited by NeverMore1701; 11-27-2012 at 21:06..
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 21:51   #8
dbak

Put the srt on my 226 was a pain not going to lie but love the way it shoots.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
dbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 22:19   #9
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

I carry a Sig 229 DAK. I would much rather have a DA/SA any day of the week.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:10   #10
goldenlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Go to sigforum.com for more info but from what I understand older Sigs can't be converted to DAK. They can be converted to DAO though. It has to do with a deeper cut in the frame to allow for the DAK trigger bar to move.

You can convert them to SRT triggers. That is what I plan on doing at some point in the future.
I though DAK was Sig's goofy name for DAO.

What's the difference?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:58   #11
Bruce M

About everyone who has had it done seems very pleased with the Sig service.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 11-28-2012 at 05:58..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:34   #12
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlight View Post
I though DAK was Sig's goofy name for DAO.

What's the difference?
DAK has a lower trigger pull weight. It came out in the early/mid 2000's. DAO has been around for at least a decade longer. It's been awhile but IIRC DAK uses a longer hammer and completley different trigger bar, hence the need for the frame cutout to be bigger. DAO is just a simple switch of a hammer that does not have a single action notch. The trigger pull difference is about 10 pounds vs. 6.5. Both well within revolver range but I could see how 10 pounds would get a little much around the 10th or 12th round.

BTW DAK stands for Double Action Keller (or Kellerman it has been a long time).
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT

Last edited by CAcop; 11-28-2012 at 06:35..
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:47   #13
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Yes, it is. Wait for a special offer (if you can) ... just missed the Veterans Day special.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:14   #14
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
Yes, it is. Wait for a special offer (if you can) ... just missed the Veterans Day special.

I forgot to mention this, sign up for e-mail alerts if you're not in a big hurry. They have great deals on a regular basis.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33   #15
Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
I forgot to mention this, sign up for e-mail alerts if you're not in a big hurry. They have great deals on a regular basis.
That's honestly why I'm thinking about it, but it's still expensive and wanted to know if it was/is worth it, or it would be cheaper/better just to have someone locally to do it. That said, it has sentimental value as well so I don't want some yahoo who thinks he knows what he's doing, ****ing up the gun. And getting a modification if I do send it in, it would make some sense, because of the expensive shipping of a firearm. The SRT looks like it makes the most sense. Anyone have experience with the ones that I am able to get, that may be better to get than the SRT?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:07   #16
goldenlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
DAK has a lower trigger pull weight. It came out in the early/mid 2000's. DAO has been around for at least a decade longer. It's been awhile but IIRC DAK uses a longer hammer and completley different trigger bar, hence the need for the frame cutout to be bigger. DAO is just a simple switch of a hammer that does not have a single action notch. The trigger pull difference is about 10 pounds vs. 6.5. Both well within revolver range but I could see how 10 pounds would get a little much around the 10th or 12th round.

BTW DAK stands for Double Action Keller (or Kellerman it has been a long time).
Ah, thanks for the explanation. All of my Sigs except for one date back before the fall of the Berlin wall, and I haven't kept up on the newer ones.

My Sigs have a MUCH heavier DA trigger than my 2 third generation Smith and Wesson semiautos, so I always wondered why anyone would WANT a Sig with a double action only trigger.

It sounds like the Sig engineers figured a way to have a lighter double action trigger, with a heavy enough firing pin strike for reliable primer ignition. For a police or concealed carry weapon, I could see where that would be very desirable trigger control option.

My S&W 6906 is my preferred CC weapon, mostly because the DA trigger is so much better than my Sig P-228, for the first shot. I consider the P-228 to be a more accurate and possibly even a more reliable semiauto than the S&W, but the heavy DA trigger has kept me from using it as a CC weapon.

I also really like the three dot Novak sights on the S&W 3rd generation semiautos. I can fire my 5906 faster and more accurately than any other semiauto, but a good part of that is due to the heavy weight of the all stainless steel construction.

In single action shooting, at least for me, Sigs have a significant accuracy edge over the S&W (and Glock) semiauto pistols.

I think I need to find a way to fire a DAK Sig, and see if it's something I like. I wish Sig would go with the three dot sights, as I find it the fastest way to line up the sights, for both the first, and subsequent shots.