GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48   #1
lethal tupperwa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 11,244


::FDA:: Don't take your drugs with grapefruit juice!

::FDA::

Don't take your drugs with grapefruit juice!

That's not a bad rule to follow, because enough drugs have been prove to have some very harmful side effects if you do.

Side effects from taking them with grapefruit juice can be as severe as death.

85 oral medications, including pills for heart problems, pain and psychiatric problems have been put on the "no Grapefruit juice" list:

A-C
Alfentanil (oral)
Amiodarone
Apixaban
Atorvastatin
Buspirone
Clopidogrel
Crizotinib
Cyclosporine

D-F
Darifenacin
Dasatinib
Dextromethorphan
Domperidone
Dronedarone
Eplerenone
Erlotinib
Erythromycin
Everolimus
Felodipine
Fentanyl (oral)
Fesoterodine

H-P
Halofantrine
Ketamine (oral)
Latatinib
Lovastatin
Lurasidone
Maraviroc
Nifedipine
Nilotinib
Oxycodone

P-Z

Pazopanib
Pimozide
Primaquine
Quinine
Quetiapine
Quinidine
Rilpivirine
Rivaroxaban
Silodosin
Simvastatin
Sirolimus
Solifenacin
Sunitinib
Tacrolimus
Tamsulosin
Ticagrelor
Triazolam
Vandetanib
Venurafenib

Verapamil
Ziprasidone
__________________
Correctional and Therapeutic Mayhem Administrator EMERITUS

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:20   #2
Atomic Punk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,531
besides grapefruit being disgusting anyway. what on earth in it makes it have such negative effects with so many drugs?
Atomic Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28   #3
robertoh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,835
Seen a episode of the Dr. Oz show last week and he was talking about diets for loosing weight,and said Grapefruit juice was good for a weight reduction.He didn't mention any caution about not drinking Grapefruit just if taking some Medications. So much for the all wise Dr. Oz.
robertoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38   #4
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member
 
Travclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 6,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Punk View Post
besides grapefruit being disgusting anyway. what on earth in it makes it have such negative effects with so many drugs?
It is a potent inhibitor of Cytochrome P450 enzyme 3A4 that plays a big role in the hepatic metabolism of a lot of drugs. If you drink grapefruit juice your body cant get rid of the drug thus it accumulates to toxic levels.
__________________
Sent from a payphone in a whorehouse in Mexico.
__________________
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44   #5
deputy tom
Senior Member
 
deputy tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: western PA
Posts: 7,569
^^ Yep! I knew this as it's written on my meds label. Thanks for posting for those who didn't know. tom.
__________________
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50   #6
Atomic Punk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
It is a potent inhibitor of Cytochrome P450 enzyme 3A4 that plays a big role in the hepatic metabolism of a lot of drugs. If you drink grapefruit juice your body cant get rid of the drug thus it accumulates to toxic levels.
that is really interesting. may or may not mention that to people i know that eat grapefruit
Atomic Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59   #7
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289
 
DustyJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri, East of KC
Posts: 5,986
And grapefruit itself.
Back in the early 1990s, my parents sent us a case of Ruby Red grapefruit, and we ate a lot of it.

My wife semi-ODed on her normal meds. We researched it and went back to her doctor with the news. He didn't know. few people really did.

A couple of weeks ago, she forgot and bought some GF juice. She started feeling dizzy the next day.........
__________________
"...our quick technology allows use to indulge our deepest stupidity and tastelessness with out first thinking...."
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56   #8
SMOKEin
Senior Member
 
SMOKEin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,846
Am I the only one who always thought you were supposed to take your drugs with whiskey?
__________________
17 + 30 = 21
SMOKEin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34   #9
jtmac
Seor Member
 
jtmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Back in Podunk
Posts: 9,045
Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac


The mystery of how and why people drink grapefruit juice to begin with remains...
__________________
I don't really think Atlas is going to shrug. It's just a vain dream of mine.
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08   #10
fwm
Senior Member
 
fwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Central US
Posts: 2,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
::FDA::

Don't take your drugs with grapefruit juice!

That's not a bad rule to follow, because enough drugs have been prove to have some very harmful side effects if you do.

Side effects from taking them with grapefruit juice can be as severe as death.

85 oral medications, including pills for heart problems, pain and psychiatric problems have been put on the "no Grapefruit juice" list:

A-C
Alfentanil (oral)
Amiodarone
Apixaban
Atorvastatin
Buspirone
Clopidogrel
Crizotinib
Cyclosporine

D-F
Darifenacin
Dasatinib
Dextromethorphan
Domperidone
Dronedarone
Eplerenone
Erlotinib
Erythromycin
Everolimus
Felodipine
Fentanyl (oral)
Fesoterodine

H-P
Halofantrine
Ketamine (oral)
Latatinib
Lovastatin
Lurasidone
Maraviroc
Nifedipine
Nilotinib
Oxycodone

P-Z

Pazopanib
Pimozide
Primaquine
Quinine
Quetiapine
Quinidine
Rilpivirine
Rivaroxaban
Silodosin
Simvastatin
Sirolimus
Solifenacin
Sunitinib
Tacrolimus
Tamsulosin
Ticagrelor
Triazolam
Vandetanib
Venurafenib

Verapamil
Ziprasidone
Add Warfarin to the list. Probably a number of GTers on it. Alters how it works and makes the INR tests mostly useless, culminating in prescribed doses being way to high or to low. Results can be devastating, as my wife found out after the hospital called me a 6:00 in the morning to get there NOW if I wanted to see her again.
__________________
fwm
fwm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30   #11
deputy tom
Senior Member
 
deputy tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: western PA
Posts: 7,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEin View Post
Am I the only one who always thought you were supposed to take your drugs with whiskey?
No, you aren't but it's Whisky. tom.
__________________
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41   #12
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn
 
Dennis in MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 52,499
We took druuuuugs and grapefruit juice. Look what happened to us!

The Okie Corral



(OK, maybe we just came from the eye doctors. LOL)
__________________
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:48   #13
alwaysshootin
Senior Member
 
alwaysshootin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEin View Post
Am I the only one who always thought you were supposed to take your drugs with whiskey?
Actually, when taking drugs, it's vodka, that should be used!

Whiskey, is actually, medicine, on it's own!
__________________
If guns kill people, then, I can blame my pencil on my spelling!
alwaysshootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58   #14
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member
 
Travclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 6,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
Add Warfarin to the list. Probably a number of GTers on it. Alters how it works and makes the INR tests mostly useless, culminating in prescribed doses being way to high or to low. Results can be devastating, as my wife found out after the hospital called me a 6:00 in the morning to get there NOW if I wanted to see her again.
Yes, Warfarin is definitely on the list.
__________________
Sent from a payphone in a whorehouse in Mexico.
__________________
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:41.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,158
381 Members
777 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42