GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37   #101
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,412


Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
See, you cannot believe in the Bible because you believe in theories that are not factual. Theories that have not become law.
AM is right, you're being willfully ignorant of the scientific method at this point. Theories never become laws. That's not how it works.

The Law of Gravity is simply the observation that objects are attracted to each other with a pull that is a function of their mass and relative distance from one another (which can be expressed as a precise equation). A theory of gravity is something like General Relativity or Loop Quantum Gravity that attempts to explain why that is the case.

The Theory of General Relativity has been proven accurate repeatedly in expirements and in practical applications (again, the GPS system wouldn't work if it were wrong). Are you suggesting that since we don't call it the Law of General Relativity that it is merely a "guess"?
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 12-12-2012 at 12:30..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58   #102
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Question for Molly,

If you were wrong and evolution were true would you want to know or would you be happy to go on believing something that's wrong?

In other words, do you really want to know the truth? Are you even willing to accept that you could have been wrong all this time?

Because (and I honestly mean no offense with this) at some point this becomes a matter of pure intellect. Either you can understand it or you can't. And it doesn't even preclude the possibility of your god. Even as an atheist I leave a little bit of room for god. I personally think that a designer that could design these biochemical machines to adapt and improve upon themselves from but a single self replicating molecule would be much more impressive than one that simply put everything together from scratch. We can't even do that (yet) but we can sit down at the drawing board and produce purpose designed machines. Even our own computers are close to outpacing our own brains but we don't really get impressed with that until we imagine the computers that can design, build and improve upon themselves. THAT is a power so great that it terrifies the people that can follow it to it's logical conclusion and is just the type of power that one would expect to find at the disposal of a supreme being.

THAT is so much more impressive a feat of design and engineering that you'd almost have to expect an all powerful being to take that route with his designs. To create the entire bio-system as a whole in a manner that it adapts and changes itself to fit the environment perfectly regardless of stresses (in spite of stresses actually) or cataclysmic events is just the way to do it. If one is able.

Sometimes I wonder if you might be even more impressed with your god if you could wrap your head around this evolution thing. I know many believers who are. It paints a big picture that's so much more spectacular than anything you think happened.

Last edited by Gunhaver; 12-07-2012 at 10:08..
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 13:03   #103
neon
Senior Member
 
neon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,697
Glock36shooter

No human did. They existed long before mankind did.

Answer:Molly:
Dinosaurs were land animals, and God made all the land animals on day six of the creation week, dinosaurs were created on day six. Adam and Eve were also made on day six alongside the dinosaurs so dinosaurs did live at the same time as mankind.

Glock36shooter:
I think there may have actually been dragons once upon a time. Too many cultures have stories about them. And if there were such a thing as dragons they probably were one of the last cousins to the Dinosaur... sort of like the Crocodile. But that doesn't change the fact that there were giant reptilian creatures roaming this planet LONG before humans evolved from our ape like cousins.

Answer:Molly:
Komodo Dragons are still around.
Question: Why would you want to have evolved from an Ape instead of created as a beautiful creature that man is?

Glock36shooter:
I don't even know what craziness you're talking about. What does our sub conscience have to do with God?

Answer:Molly:
With the evolution system the mind is reduced matter. According to your view the mind is indistinguishable from the mind of an animal. They only differ in their degree of complexity. We cannot formulate direct conclusions about the origin and true nature of the human mind (spirit) from a scientific viewpoint. Therefore you cannot believe in the spiritual. I believe God created me and loves me and I love Him. I don't claim monkeys as my ancestors. They are mere animals.

Glock36shooter:
Not very different no. Our bodies have similar structures and materials. They operate on the same principles (Although dogs don't seem to handle chocolate all that well... poor guys). We even have some of the same behaviors. We're absolutely different species... but not day an night in our makeup at all.

Answer:Molly:
Why would you think God would create everything different?
Would you prefer dogs and cats have three eyes?

Glock36shooter:
Because they don't have complex language. But they can communicate. Anyone that has a dog will tell you they can communicate.

Answer:Molly:
My dog wakes me up and 6:00 every morning to be fed. Exactly the same time everyday. But, what about birds? They can talk but only to repeat what we say. We do not know at what stage human language began. That's why evolutionists have to use billions of years. I don't know how you can call evolution science when you cannot observe what happened in the past.

Glock36shooter:
That's a horrible over simplification. There are animal behavior researchers that know volumes about what animals think. Simply because it isn't our field of study and we are ignorant of the information doesn't mean it doesn't exist. That's your problem Molly... you think if you don't know it, and it doesn't fit nicely into your bible... that it can't be real. You're ignorant... and a fool.

Answer:Molly:
No they don't because the animals won't tell them. I could make up a great story about what animals think because no one could prove me wrong. Ignorant AND a fool? I must tell my husband what an Idiot he married.


Molly


+++
1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 13:35   #104
neon
Senior Member
 
neon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,697
ArtificialGrape
You have either (a) twice ignored the video of scientists explaining how the terms are used in science, or (b) watched the video and chosen to ignore it so that you can continue with your gross misrepresentations of how the terms are used among scientists.

Answer:Molly:
The video I watched said that laymen use the word guess. So I am responding in a reasonable way.

ArtificialGrape
Of course, it can, and it is. Leaving aside for the moment natural selection or any other mechanism, "life evolved from simple single-celled organisms to more complex organisms" is a fact. No amount of biblical objection is going to change that.

Answer:Molly:

What did the single celled organisms evolve from?

A code system is always the result of a mental process. It requires an intelligent origin or inventor. Matter as such is unable to generate any code. There is no known natural law through which matter can give rise to information, neither is any physical process or material phenomenon known that can do this.

Molly


+++
Galations 3:31
Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 21:35   #105
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Why does it make you so uneasy to compare a theory with a guess? You know that's what a theory is until it is a law.
It doesn't make me uneasy, it's simply a false claim. That has been explained, repeatedly. AG explains it yet again in his reply to this post. At this point, repeating this untrue claim is dangerously close to bearing false witness.
Quote:
I do, if I didn't we wouldn't still be going back and forth on this.
No, you don't. You cite the Bible and your interpretation of it as if that was authoritative. It isn't.
Quote:
You know this and yet do not explain this to me. Do I have to look it up?
That would be a good first step. Understanding what you're reading would be step number two.
Quote:
Don't you understand that evolution cannot be fact?
No, I don't. Mostly because literally all of the evidence tells us that evolution is fact.
Quote:
You accept the fact that nonliving chemicals form into simple life-forms into more complex life-forms and finally into humans. You say that this change occurred over millions of years, and the dominant mechanism that is supposed to have driven it is natural selection coupled with mutations.
You're conflating evolution and abiogenesis, but other than that this description is more correct than anything else you've offered over the last few years.
Quote:
This sounds like the perverted work of Satan trying to make people not believe in God. With Satan everything is backwards. According to you earth made man and you cannot prove how these things came about.
And you're back off the rails... You've produced no evidence that contradicts evolutionary theory, nor have you shown any evidence for your assertion that evolution cannot be fact.
Quote:
YOU have not found any missing links.
We've found any number of missing links, and more are added all the time as our knowledge grows.
Quote:
We can only observe variation within the created kind.
Your links are still missing.
Kinds aren't a biological classification, but your statement is false.
Quote:
Your caught in a trap because you cannot understand the spiritual. There is no scientific truths to invalidate. And must I say again you, can't go back and observe you must guess.
I'm not caught in a trap, I'm willing to examine the evidence. You're the one who's forced to deny plain truths in the vain hope of shoring up your version of Biblical interpretation. Even if your absurd "You have to see it happen in real time to be able to say it is true" were correct, and it isn't, that wouldn't affect the reality of evolution, since it has been observed in real time.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."

Last edited by Animal Mother; 12-07-2012 at 21:35..
Animal Mother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:44   #106
neon
Senior Member
 
neon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,697
Animal Mother:

No, you don't. You cite the Bible and your interpretation of it as if that was authoritative. It isn't.

Answer:Molly:
Don't you cite your science books as if they had some sort of authority? When in truth scientists are still trying to figure out what the Word of God has already told us. They want to know how everything was created and they use words like it could have been possible for this and that to happen. In the Bible God tells us the how and why of everything.


Animal Mother:
That would be a good first step. Understanding what you're reading would be step number two.

Answer:Molly:
I did look it up and found out I was right about gravity. That's the very reason you didn't explain. You didn't want everyone to know I was right.

Animal Mother:
No, I don't. Mostly because literally all of the evidence tells us that evolution is fact.

Answer:Molly:
Only Micro evolution. NO changes in kind.

Animal Mother:
You're conflating evolution and abiogenesis, but other than that this description is more correct than anything else you've offered over the last few years.

Answer:Molly:
You should try understanding what you read.
What you stated was what you believe not what I believe.
I believe God created everything. You believe NOTHING created everything.

Animal Mother:
And you're back off the rails... You've produced no evidence that contradicts evolutionary theory, nor have you shown any evidence for your assertion that evolution cannot be fact.

Answer:Molly:
And you have produced NO evidence that evolution starting with nothingness could be possible. I have stated that I believe in evolution of kind that God has created.

Animal Mother:
We've found any number of missing links, and more are added all the time as our knowledge grows.

Answer:Molly:
Going back in history you'll have to admit that most missing links have been proven to be just Apes. As you add more you'll find out that these too will be proven wrong.

Animal Mother:
Kinds aren't a biological classification, but your statement is false.

Answer:Molly:
I believe your statement is false.

Animal Mother:
I'm not caught in a trap, I'm willing to examine the evidence. You're the one who's forced to deny plain truths in the vain hope of shoring up your version of Biblical interpretation. Even if your absurd "You have to see it happen in real time to be able to say it is true" were correct, and it isn't, that wouldn't affect the reality of evolution, since it has been observed in real time.

Answer:Molly:
Only in kinds. You cannot go back billions of years to observe fish you say came out of the sea with legs can you?
If you observe these fish by checking the skeletons I could say the legs were really fins to help the fish swim. Can't you see that all this science fiction is just that? You take the word of man.


Molly


+++
Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and morrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.













Animal Mother:
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 17:49   #107
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,596
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
The video I watched said that laymen use the word guess. So I am responding in a reasonable way.
We're not discussing bigfoot or who killed Kennedy. In the context of a scientific discussion your suggestion that a theory is a guess is, at best, disingenuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
What did the single celled organisms evolve from?
The theory of evolution does not address the matter. Evolution is an explanation of the diversity of life, not how the first life form arose -- as Animal Mother pointed out, that would be abiogenesis.

Evolution is a theory of biology. Abiogenesis would fall under chemistry.

There's no point in getting into abiogenesis given that after 150 years and a metric arse-load of evidence (including fossils, DNA, microbiology, embryology and biogeography) you still manage to deny evolution.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52   #108
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Don't you cite your science books as if they had some sort of authority?
No, I don't. I cite them because they have the data based on the evidence. Only the evidence has authority.
Quote:
When in truth scientists are still trying to figure out what the Word of God has already told us. They want to know how everything was created and they use words like it could have been possible for this and that to happen. In the Bible God tells us the how and why of everything.
The only problem being that the stories told in the Bible contradict the evidence, and have no supporting evidence to confirm them. So much for telling us how things happened.
Quote:
I did look it up and found out I was right about gravity. That's the very reason you didn't explain. You didn't want everyone to know I was right.
You weren't right, but I'd be interested to know where you looked it up. Was it AiG or ICR?
Quote:
Only Micro evolution. NO changes in kind.
This is correct only because "kind" is not a biological concept and thus can't change in any measurable way. If you're comfortable saying humans and bacteria are the same kind, then and only then would your statement be true.
Quote:
You should try understanding what you read.
What you stated was what you believe not what I believe.
I believe God created everything. You believe NOTHING created everything.
No, as usual you're wrong, and you were doing so well for a minute there. I don't believe things are created, not that they were created by nothing. I believe this because it's what the evidence shows.
Quote:
And you have produced NO evidence that evolution starting with nothingness could be possible. I have stated that I believe in evolution of kind that God has created.
Since I've never claimed that "evolution starting with nothingness could be possible" I see no need to defend that position.
Quote:
Going back in history you'll have to admit that most missing links have been proven to be just Apes. As you add more you'll find out that these too will be proven wrong.
I don't have to admit any such thing. The only "missing links" that are proven to be apes are those from the family hominidae, which includes both Humans and Chimpanzees. Are you trying to argue that humans and chimps are the same kind?
Quote:
I believe your statement is false.
I don't doubt that, but it doesn't change the fact that the evidence shows your previous statement is untrue.
Quote:
Only in kinds. You cannot go back billions of years to observe fish you say came out of the sea with legs can you?
If you observe these fish by checking the skeletons I could say the legs were really fins to help the fish swim. Can't you see that all this science fiction is just that? You take the word of man.
No, I accept the evidence. For example, that the articulation of a fin is much different from that of a leg. I also don't rely on words I refuse to define, such as "kind", so that I can move the goalposts whenever necessary.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11   #109
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,468
Perhaps this will get the point home to poor deluded Molly.

Scientific theories and scientific laws are different "kinds". One cannot evolve into the other.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:36   #110
neon
Senior Member
 
neon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,697
Animal Mother:
No, I don't. I cite them because they have the data based on the evidence. Only the evidence has authority.

Answer:Molly:
Your evidence has no authority. It is a fallacy to believe that facts speak for themselves, they are always interpreted according to a framework. It is assumed that things make themselves, that no divine intervention has happened, and that God has not revealed to us knowledge about the past.
So, your evidence is biased.

Animal Mother:
The only problem being that the stories told in the Bible contradict the evidence, and have no supporting evidence to confirm them. So much for telling us how things happened.

Answer:Molly:
The reason that you do not want to accept creation is that it means there is a Creator who set the rules. Thus you cannot write your own rules.

Animal Mother:
This is correct only because "kind" is not a biological concept and thus can't change in any measurable way. If you're comfortable saying humans and bacteria are the same kind, then and only then would your statement be true.

Answer:Molly
In evolution it requires that non-living chemicals organize themselves into a self-reproducing organism. All types of life are alleged to have descended, by natural, ongoing processes, from this "simple" life form. For this to have worked, there must be some process which can generate the genetic information in living things. I believe that God designed each organism.

Animal Mother:
:No, as usual you're wrong, and you were doing so well for a minute there. I don't believe things are created, not that they were created by nothing. I believe this because it's what the evidence shows.

Answer:Molly:
What is your word for nothing? What is your evidence that these things just happened?

Animal Mother:
Since I've never claimed that "evolution starting with nothingness could be possible" I see no need to defend that position.

Answer:Molly:
What word do you use for nothingness. Do you believe these self-reproducing organism would have made copies of themselves? That mutations occur and after billions of years you believe an ancient man appeared?

Animal Mother:
I don't have to admit any such thing. The only "missing links" that are proven to be apes are those from the family hominidae, which includes both Humans and Chimpanzees. Are you trying to argue that humans and chimps are the same kind?

Answer:Molly:
NO. I don't have any Chimpanzees in my family tree.
The evolutionary "tree" says that all of today's species are descended from the one common ancestor (which itself evolved from non-living chemicals.)

Animal Mother:
No, I accept the evidence. For example, that the articulation of a fin is much different from that of a leg. I also don't rely on words I refuse to define, such as "kind", so that I can move the goalposts whenever necessary.

Answer:Molly:
If only you had a leg to stand on.
These bits and pieces that science has used for evidence could be a leg or a fin.


Molly


+++
11 Corinthians 10:3to5
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 13:04   #111
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Your evidence has no authority.
Which pretty much says all that needs to be said about your understanding of science and willingness to consider things outside of your religious beliefs.
Quote:
It is a fallacy to believe that facts speak for themselves, they are always interpreted according to a framework. It is assumed that things make themselves, that no divine intervention has happened, and that God has not revealed to us knowledge about the past.
So, your evidence is biased.
Produce evidence of divine intervention and it will be considered. Unfortunately for your position, no such evidence has been found.
Quote:
The reason that you do not want to accept creation is that it means there is a Creator who set the rules. Thus you cannot write your own rules.
Wrong, as I just wrote, the reason I don't accept your version of creation is because it is contrary to the evidence.
Quote:
In evolution it requires that non-living chemicals organize themselves into a self-reproducing organism.
No, it doesn't.
Quote:
All types of life are alleged to have descended, by natural, ongoing processes, from this "simple" life form. For this to have worked, there must be some process which can generate the genetic information in living things. I believe that God designed each organism.
The evidence is contrary to your belief.
Quote:
What is your word for nothing? What is your evidence that these things just happened?
What "things" are you talking about at this point? Evolution and common descent? The commonality of both physical characteristics and DNA composition among widely divergent forms of life.
Quote:
What word do you use for nothingness. Do you believe these self-reproducing organism would have made copies of themselves? That mutations occur and after billions of years you believe an ancient man appeared?
Self-reproducing organisms would have made copies of themselves, that's pretty much what the word means.
Quote:
NO. I don't have any Chimpanzees in my family tree.
Then why is your DNA so similar to theirs?
Quote:
The evolutionary "tree" says that all of today's species are descended from the one common ancestor (which itself evolved from non-living chemicals.)
Correct.
Quote:
If only you had a leg to stand on.
These bits and pieces that science has used for evidence could be a leg or a fin.
Giving up then? Did Answers in Genesis not come through with an answer for you this time?
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10   #112
neon
Senior Member
 
neon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,697
Animal Mother:
Which pretty much says all that needs to be said about your understanding of science and willingness to consider things outside of your religious beliefs.

Answer:Molly:
Evolution is a theory universally accepted NOT because it can be proven to be true, but because it is the only alternative. It is a biases of humanism resulting in different interpretation of the same scientific data of creation religion scientific data.

Animal Mother:
Produce evidence of divine intervention and it will be considered. Unfortunately for your position, no such evidence has been found.

Answer:Molly:
Science which has nothing to do with faith, owes its origins to an act of faith that the universe can be rationally interpreted, and that science today is sustained by that assumption. You need faith for you assumptions.

Animal Mother:
Wrong, as I just wrote, the reason I don't accept your version of creation is because it is contrary to the evidence.

Answer:Molly:
But, you need faith for you evidence.

Animal Mother:
No, it doesn't.

Answer:Molly:
Evolution, of the fish-to-philosopher type, requires that non-living chemicals organize themselves into self-reproducing organism. All types of life are alleged to have descended, by natural, ongoing processes, from this "simple" life form.

So what's your guess as to how we all began?

Animal Mother:
The evidence is contrary to your belief.

Answer:Molly:
Is your faith in evolution beginning to weaken?

Animal Mother:
What "things" are you talking about at this point? Evolution and common descent? The commonality of both physical characteristics and DNA composition among widely divergent forms of life.

Answer:Molly:
How could you believe a fish came upon land and after billions of years became a man? Where did the woman come from?

Animal Mother:
Self-reproducing organisms would have made copies of themselves, that's pretty much what the word means

Answer:Molly:
So you say that all types of life are alleged to have descended, by natural, ongoing processes, from this "simple" life form? For this to have worked, there must be some process which can generate the genetic information in living things today.

Animal Mother:
Then why is your DNA so similar to theirs?

Answer:Molly:
It is only similar not identical. Of course DNA must be similar on all things, because of design.

Animal Mother:
Giving up then? Did Answers in Genesis not come through with an answer for you this time?

Answer:Molly:
You are the one who didn't answer. How can you say as a fact that these bones would be a fin or a leg they are fragments of these creatures.


Molly


+++
John 14:26
But the comforter which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 19:08   #113
Andy123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC and GA
Posts: 2,831
The atheist in this thread truly have great faith. Faith that one more answer will convince Molly to argue by their rules, or by logic and reason.

I would say "Keep up the good fight" but it was only actually entertaining for the first page or two.

BTW, Molly, just curious, what do your child(ren) do for a living?
__________________
I can only hope, that in the end, the good outweighs the bad.

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 22:36   #114
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Evolution is a theory universally accepted NOT because it can be proven to be true, but because it is the only alternative. It is a biases of humanism resulting in different interpretation of the same scientific data of creation religion scientific data.
Not a response to what you quoted, nor is your statement accurate in the least. Evolution has been proven to be true. It has been observed directly, which is apparently your gold standard for acceptable science.
Quote:
Science which has nothing to do with faith, owes its origins to an act of faith that the universe can be rationally interpreted, and that science today is sustained by that assumption. You need faith for you assumptions.
Do you have evidence that the universe can't be rationally interpreted? Don't you depend on a rational universe when you assume you will come down each time you jump?
Quote:
But, you need faith for you evidence.
No, I don't. Evidence does away with the need for faith.
Quote:
Evolution, of the fish-to-philosopher type, requires that non-living chemicals organize themselves into self-reproducing organism. All types of life are alleged to have descended, by natural, ongoing processes, from this "simple" life form.
You're stealing others words without attribution again Molly. If you're going to do that, couldn't you at least steal from people who's statements are correct?
Quote:
So what's your guess as to how we all began?
I see no need to guess. Once again, I'll depend on the evidence. Just because we haven't answered every question yet doesn't mean we need to resort to the supernatural for an answer.
Quote:
Is your faith in evolution beginning to weaken?
I don't have faith in evolution. I have evidence of evolution.
Quote:
How could you believe a fish came upon land and after billions of years became a man?
I don't believe that, so I don't see any need to defend the belief.
Quote:
So you say that all types of life are alleged to have descended, by natural, ongoing processes, from this "simple" life form? For this to have worked, there must be some process which can generate the genetic information in living things today.
And there is!!! Isn't that nifty? It's called reproduction.
Quote:
It is only similar not identical. Of course DNA must be similar on all things, because of design.
It is similar in arrangement, it is identical in fundamental composition.
Quote:
You are the one who didn't answer.
Who didn't answer what?
Quote:
How can you say as a fact that these bones would be a fin or a leg they are fragments of these creatures.
What specific examples are you talking about?
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 22:38   #115
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
The atheist in this thread truly have great faith. Faith that one more answer will convince Molly to argue by their rules, or by logic and reason.

I would say "Keep up the good fight" but it was only actually entertaining for the first page or two.

BTW, Molly, just curious, what do your child(ren) do for a living?
I don't think anyone has any illusion of changing Molly's mind at this point. It's been clear for years that she has no interest in considering anything outside her interpretation of scripture. However, if her absurdities go unchallenged both she and others might begin to operate under the illusion that these kinds of things are legitimate objections to scientific conclusions.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17   #116
neon
Senior Member
 
neon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,697
Animal Mother:
Not a response to what you quoted, nor is your statement accurate in the least. Evolution has been proven to be true. It has been observed directly, which is apparently your gold standard for acceptable science.

Answer:Molly:
The absence of fossil evidence for intermediary stages between major transitions, to construct functional intermediates in many cases, has been a persistent and nagging problem.

Animal Mother:
Do you have evidence that the universe can't be rationally interpreted? Don't you depend on a rational universe when you assume you will come down each time you jump?

Answer:Molly:
Biblical revelations are the key for understanding this world. The Bible is the basic, irreplaceable source of information. Our present experiences do not allow us to really evaluate something that has just been created. God created Adam as a grown man, he was never a child.

Similarly all the stars were immediately visible in spite of immense distances. So, we have the answer to the question "Which came first the chicken or the egg. It was the chicken. The matter of the entire universe has been created without the use of previously existing matter. This basic principle is shown in Hebrews 11:3. "By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

Animal Mother:
No, I don't. Evidence does away with the need for faith.

Answer:Molly:
Every theory requires basic assumptions which cannot be proved. These presuppositions are not observable, but are of a metaphysical nature. Therefore you need faith to believe them. Therefore it is not REAL evidence.

Animal Mother:
I see no need to guess. Once again, I'll depend on the evidence. Just because we haven't answered every question yet doesn't mean we need to resort to the supernatural for an answer.

Answer:Molly:
How many years will you need for that?

Animal Mother:
I don't have faith in evolution. I have evidence of evolution.

Answer:Molly:
You have faith in the evidence scientists have provided for you. You have to have faith in the science books and guesses of these people for your so called evidence.


Animal Mother:
I don't believe that, so I don't see any need to defend the belief.

Question:Molly:
How then did fish become man? Oh yes it took billions of years. But, no one knows for sure how all this came about so you need faith in what these intellectuals write for you in their science books.

Animal Mother:
And there is!!! Isn't that nifty? It's called reproduction.

Answer:Molly:
So, you Assume that these organisms made copies of themselves and all of a sudden one became male and one became female? Give or take a billion years.

Animal Mother:

It is similar in arrangement, it is identical in fundamental composition.

Answer:Molly:
Because God designed it that way.

Animal Mother:
What specific examples are you talking about?

Answer:Molly:
The examples you gave me.


Molly


+++
11 Corinthians 4:18
While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:33   #117
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,412


Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
How then did fish become man? Oh yes it took billions of years. But, no one knows for sure how all this came about so you need faith in what these intellectuals write for you in their science books.
No, not really. See, faith involves an emotional investment that is lacking in science. We don't have any sort of emotional attachment to evolutionary theory. We accept it because it's the most complete explanation that fits the available evidence. If some new evidence comes along that falsifies evolution then the net response of the scientific community would be to accept the new information, discard evolution and start hypothesizing a more accurate theory. But, that hasn't happened. Theists aren't able to provide any contradictory evidence to falsify evolution. Instead, they make continual emphatic appeals to emotion in support of their preferred book of myths. That's not science, it's not even good philosophy. It's just absurd.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 12-11-2012 at 09:33..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43   #118
void *
Dereference Me!
 
void *'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: #define NULL ((void *)0)
Posts: 10,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
However, if her absurdities go unchallenged both she and others might begin to operate under the illusion that these kinds of things are legitimate objections to scientific conclusions.
I would argue that some already are.
__________________
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 12-11-2012 at 08:44..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:48   #119
GreenDrake
Rip Lips
 
GreenDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,643
Molly, did Adam have a belly button?
__________________
"Can you FLY, Bobby?"
P229 EDC
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 22:27   #120
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
The absence of fossil evidence for intermediary stages between major transitions, to construct functional intermediates in many cases, has been a persistent and nagging problem.
Gould, Stephen J., 'Is a new and general theory of evolution emerging?' Paleobiology, vol 6(1), January 1980, p. 127

Back to plagiarizing and quote mining again? Imagine my shock.
Quote:
Biblical revelations are the key for understanding this world. The Bible is the basic, irreplaceable source of information. Our present experiences do not allow us to really evaluate something that has just been created. God created Adam as a grown man, he was never a child.

Similarly all the stars were immediately visible in spite of immense distances. So, we have the answer to the question "Which came first the chicken or the egg. It was the chicken. The matter of the entire universe has been created without the use of previously existing matter. This basic principle is shown in Hebrews 11:3. "By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
Stealing from AiG too? tsk. tsk.
Quote:
Every theory requires basic assumptions which cannot be proved. These presuppositions are not observable, but are of a metaphysical nature. Therefore you need faith to believe them. Therefore it is not REAL evidence.
Those presuppositions upon which we base our scientific understanding can be disproven. Feel free to do so if you'd like to question scientific conclusions.
Quote:
How many years will you need for that?
How is that relevant? How many years will it be until Christ returns? Does not knowing that answer exactly disprove Christ's divinity?
Quote:
You have faith in the evidence scientists have provided for you. You have to have faith in the science books and guesses of these people for your so called evidence.
Completely false, anyone is able to replicate scientific findings if they're willing to invest the time and effort to do so.
Quote:
How then did fish become man? Oh yes it took billions of years. But, no one knows for sure how all this came about so you need faith in what these intellectuals write for you in their science books.
We know how it came about: evolution.
Quote:
So, you Assume that these organisms made copies of themselves and all of a sudden one became male and one became female? Give or take a billion years.
I assume self-replicating organism replicate. Isn't that the question you asked? Are you moving the goal posts again?
Quote:
Because God designed it that way.
Why? Why wouldn't an omnipotent being make each animal, not just each species, totally unique? Where is your evidence for God creating and using DNA to do so?
Quote:
The examples you gave me.
I didn't give you any examples, I just pointed out that the articulation of a fin and a leg are different and identifiable.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."

Last edited by Animal Mother; 12-11-2012 at 22:35..
Animal Mother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:44   #121
neon
Senior Member
 
neon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,697
Animal Mother:
Gould, Stephen J., 'Is a new and general theory of evolution emerging?' Paleobiology, vol 6(1), January 1980, p. 127

Answer:Molly:
Wasn't he one of you? Wasn't he a scientist with doubts? If not feel free to correct me.

Animal Mother:
Stealing from AiG too? tsk. tsk.

Answer:Molly:
Like you don't steal from your science books when it serves your purpose. You don't seem to realize that like you the books I read become common knowledge to me.


Animal Mother:
Those presuppositions upon which we base our scientific understanding can be disproven. Feel free to do so if you'd like to question scientific conclusions.

Answer:Molly:
Hasn't AIG already done that? Just go to their site and read all about it. In fact I would hope all those who are so sure of themselves would go to the Museum and see secular science and AIG science side by side and make up their own minds instead of just believing what they have learned in school.

Animal Mother:
How is that relevant? How many years will it be until Christ returns? Does not knowing that answer exactly disprove Christ's divinity?

Answer:Molly:
The way things are going in our world I would say maybe before I die. Not very long, I am in good health but who knows?
.
Animal Mother:
Completely false, anyone is able to replicate scientific findings if they're willing to invest the time and effort to do so.

Answer:Molly:
Yes, that is what AIG does and it is a very interesting site to read and remember.

Animal Mother:
We know how it came about: evolution.

Answer:Molly:
Creation.

Animal Mother:
I assume self-replicating organism replicate. Isn't that the question you asked? Are you moving the goal posts again?

Answer:Molly:
I read in my studies that Earnest Haeckel; was the genius who thought that up. This view is not valid, because one cannot equate embryonic stages with the adult stages of their predecessors. I believe in embryonic development of every single person. The Bible says, is the act of a Creator, "For you created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (Psalm 139:13to14).

When Jeremiah was called. God told him that this assignment had been planned for him before his conception: "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born, I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."(Jeremiah 1to5).

Animal Mother:
Why? Why wouldn't an omnipotent being make each animal, not just each species, totally unique? Where is your evidence for God creating and using DNA to do so?

Answer:Molly:
My evidence is we couldn't have just appeared on the earth and started making copies of ourselves and then all of a sudden after billions of years male and female appeared and soon was born a little ape. By the way did you see the little cute monkey at IKEA with the darling little coat on? He may have been your relative. If so he was darling.

Don't you see you are just speculating and what you call evidence is faith in some one's theory and if that theory is proven wrong another one can be made up.

Animal Mother:
I didn't give you any examples, I just pointed out that the articulation of a fin and a leg are different and identifiable.

Answer:Molly:
You did several years ago. Did you think I would forget those silly answers.


Molly

+++
Luke 7:47and48
Wherefore I say unto thee, her sins, which are many, are forgiven: for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven; the same loveth little. And he said to her, thy sins are forgiven.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47   #122
void *
Dereference Me!
 
void *'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: #define NULL ((void *)0)
Posts: 10,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Like you don't steal from your science books when it serves your purpose. You don't seem to realize that like you the books I read become common knowledge to me.
Posting a quote with attribution is not stealing. That is not what you are doing, however. You are cutting and pasting text that you did not write yourself and presenting it as though it were your own words.
__________________
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12   #123
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Wasn't he one of you? Wasn't he a scientist with doubts? If not feel free to correct me.
I did, or at least I provided a link to an explanation why Gould wasn't saying what you wish he was saying.
Quote:
Like you don't steal from your science books when it serves your purpose. You don't seem to realize that like you the books I read become common knowledge to me.
No, I don't steal. When I use the work of others, I also give attribution. But perhaps you think stealing is ok.
Quote:
Hasn't AIG already done that?
No.
Quote:
Just go to their site and read all about it. In fact I would hope all those who are so sure of themselves would go to the Museum and see secular science and AIG science side by side and make up their own minds instead of just believing what they have learned in school.
Perhaps if AiG depended on science, instead of scriptural interpretation, or if they produced any evidence in support of their claims, they would receive more consideration.
Quote:
The way things are going in our world I would say maybe before I die. Not very long, I am in good health but who knows?
I don't see an exact date there. That must mean Jesus isn't real, if we're applying your reasoning.
Quote:
Yes, that is what AIG does and it is a very interesting site to read and remember.
No, that isn't what they do at all.
Quote:
Creation.
Evidence? None. "Forgotten were the elementary rules of logic, that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and that what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens.
Quote:
I read in my studies that Earnest Haeckel; was the genius who thought that up.
Haeckel didn't come up with the concept of self-replicating organisms replicating.
Quote:
This view is not valid, because one cannot equate embryonic stages with the adult stages of their predecessors. I believe in embryonic development of every single person. The Bible says, is the act of a Creator, "For you created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (Psalm 139:13to14).

When Jeremiah was called. God told him that this assignment had been planned for him before his conception: "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born, I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."(Jeremiah 1to5).
You reject science and observation in favor of scriptural interpretation. Got it.
Quote:
My evidence is we couldn't have just appeared on the earth and started making copies of ourselves and then all of a sudden after billions of years male and female appeared and soon was born a little ape. By the way did you see the little cute monkey at IKEA with the darling little coat on? He may have been your relative. If so he was darling.
That isn't evidence, it's an assertion absent any evidence. See above.
Quote:
Don't you see you are just speculating and what you call evidence is faith in some one's theory and if that theory is proven wrong another one can be made up.
Scientific theories can be disprove, as I've said many times before. The question you're not addressing is why, if they are false, haven't they been disproven by all the brave creationists?
Quote:
You did several years ago. Did you think I would forget those silly answers.
Please link to to the post or reproduce it and we can discuss it.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 16:12   #124
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,539
Wow. Arguing with Molly is like wrestling a pig in the mud. Its frustrating, you get really dirty and after a while you realize the pig is enjoying itself immensely.

It is beyond me how a person can insist that scientific explanations, based on rational thought and used to predict events be "proven" to her satisfaction (which obviously cannot be accomplished, the goalposts continue to move). All the while ridiculing those who try to explain (with oodles more patience than I can muster) for "believing" such nonsense.

Yet, in the same breath, she will quote passages from a book of fables written by goatherds who claim "Divine Inspiration" from a being outside our time and space who magically caused all this to appear, in six days no less. All the while spouting absurdities like "God created men and dinosaurs together 6,000 years ago."

Congrats Molly, you are now making a serious bid for the pole position on my Utterly Insane Individuals list.

Arc Angel better get in here if he would like to retain his title.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:55   #125
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 876
Quote:
Congrats Molly, you are now making a serious bid for the pole position on my Utterly Insane Individuals list.
Oh, yeah. She's a loon. There's no point arguing with her.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,078
323 Members
755 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42