Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:27   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

After a good shoot

I think a lot of people prepare to defend themselves, but I don't think there is enough talk about what to do after you are forced to defend yourself.

I am not an expert at this. I will give a lead in and hopefully an expert will chime in. I am intentionally leaving the situation vague.

You are at home a sleep. Someone breaks in. There is a scuffle. The person doing the B&E is shot.

Now what?

BTW, This came up on a different board because of some questionable shoots and the more questionable actions of the shooter AFTER the fact.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:32   #2
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

You get to safety. Call 911 for medical and LE help. Establish yourself as the victim, point out evidence, witnesses or accomplices (I'm being broader than your scenario). Then politely and properly lawyer up.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38   #3
Dubble-Tapper

you then put the BG's on a tarp, execute them with one in the head, then wait til the next day to call authorities. seems thats acceptable by some of the people on here.
Dubble-Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42   #4
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble-Tapper View Post
you then put the BG's on a tarp, execute them with one in the head, then wait til the next day to call authorities. seems thats acceptable by some of the people on here.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43   #5
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
You get to safety. Call 911 for medical and LE help. Establish yourself as the victim, point out evidence, witnesses or accomplices (I'm being broader than your scenario). Then politely and properly lawyer up.
This.

/thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:44   #6
ray9898

Quote:
...and there it is. Self defense is an affirmitive defense which means it must be proven to justify a homicide, without critical information from the victim that can be impossible to prove on scene.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:47   #7
Butcher
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Medical help?! You mean the coroner. You must be using a 9mm LOL

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:48   #8
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
This.

/thread

I am, in fact, a trained professional.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 11-28-2012, 09:52   #9
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10   #10
clancy

Quote:

Would you advise calling 911 or your lawyer first? I ask, because this is a topic discussed once with a couple of friends. One is a retired cop who feels it wise to call the lawyer first.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15   #11
Hailstorm
Boom Shacka

You do what you need to do to protect yourself and family. Not your TV.

Then call 911 ASAP. When police arrive. Give basic info and a statement yuo need an lawyer. You will spend the night in the local PD. Relax. Don't try to explain everything. Your mind will forget things or confuse the timeframe. This can be used against you in court. Let the lawyer talk.

Be prepared to shell out alot of cash. I figure at least 50K for a good defense.

So, remember that if it is just your TV walking out the door.

Oh, expect a cival suit even if perp is dead. Lost wages.

Last edited by Hailstorm; 11-28-2012 at 10:16..
Hailstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19   #12
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble-Tapper View Post
This is only acceptable if your Mini-14 jams
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26   #13
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
Would you advise calling 911 or your lawyer first? I ask, because this is a topic discussed once with a couple of friends. One is a retired cop who feels it wise to call the lawyer first.
You call 911 first and IMMEDIATELY because you are going to do everything you can to get medical aid to the POS that is bleeding in your house, even though he earned it. This will be key later.

When you hang up, you and your loved ones are in absolutely no danger at all, then you call your lawyer and give him heads up you will most likely be needing his services in very near order.

Last edited by sheriff733; 11-28-2012 at 10:26..
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41   #14
M2 Carbine

Quote:
You are at home a sleep. Someone breaks in. There is a scuffle. The person doing the B&E is shot.
I assume you mean "shot" as dead.

Call 911 and tell them you shot an intruder in your home.

Then, assuming he woke me up, I'd probably make a pot of Coffee while I waited for the Sheriff.

ASAP, find out what works good to get blood stains out of the rug.
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47   #15
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
You have a lawyer that takes your calls at 0230? (Answering services emphatically don't count.)

That's the practical hurdle. The need to call 911 and establish yourself as the good concerned citizen who was concerned for life was well-covered by the sheriff above.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51   #16
ray9898

Quote:
You have a lawyer that takes your calls at 0230? (Answering services emphatically don't count.)
Well I learned on here last week the majority of people keep a criminal defense attorney on retainer.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52   #17
ray9898

Quote:
Absolutely not. You will have plenty of time to make that call after you get the ball rolling.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53   #18
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I think a lot of people prepare to defend themselves, but I don't think there is enough talk about what to do after you are forced to defend yourself.

I am not an expert at this. I will give a lead in and hopefully an expert will chime in. I am intentionally leaving the situation vague.

Now what?

BTW, This came up on a different board because of some questionable shoots and the more questionable actions of the shooter AFTER the fact.
I'd take photos and boast on GlockTalk about what sort of badass gunfighter I am.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53   #19
clancy

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I do. With the amount of money I have payed her the past 2 years, I have no doubt she hopes I call her so I can pay her even more.

I think I am working on putting unborn grandchildren through college. But believe me, she has been worth every penny.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58   #20
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Well I learned on here last week the majority of people keep a criminal defense attorney on retainer.
That is what I was thinking too.

For me to "call my lawyer" would be me pulling out my phone and doing a Google search for "lawyers in round rock, tx"
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06   #21
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Quote:
That is some very bad advice he gave you. Find cover and call 911 immediately. Given the above scenario - you have no idea if there are more than 1-2 offenders. Get help there as soon as possible.

Also - just because you use your firearm does not mean it will end the life of the person you shoot. You shouldn't call your lawyer and be on the phone for 3-5 minutes while the bad guy you just shot bleeds out on your kitchen floor.

Even after you pull that trigger, you should treat it as a fluid evolving situation that could introduce more bad guys at any moment. Find your cover (reload) and get help on the way by calling 911. Once help arrives, be very vocal about who you are and holster up or place your gun down on the ground. SHOW YOUR HANDS! Now is no time for pissing matches - whatever the police tell you to do - DO IT. If they tell you to get on the ground and you don't want to get dirty, man up and get on the ground.

Then do what Sam said above.

Last edited by Sharky7; 11-28-2012 at 11:11..
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:08   #22
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Hopefully our glocktalk resident expert the "Deputy" can chime in with some good advice as well.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10   #23
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:

A professional what?

I am a trained professional also, but my profession doesn't cover this.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:34   #24
17&27

So I take it an endzone type celebration with champagne followed by urinating on the carcass would be bad form?
17&27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40   #25
beatcop

The reason for the joking is that this actually does come up pretty regularly and gets flogged into oblivion.

Read some articles by Massad Ayoob...he has discussed this a lot and offers sound advice.

I am in before the Don't talk to the Police youtube links are posted!!!!!! What do I win?
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote