Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:54   #1
flyfishrman
Member
 
flyfishrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 46
G20 hunters - Stock or Mod?

I'm just curious about what most of you guys do here. I put Tru-Glo TFO's on my 20 and installed a 6" barrel, but had feed issues and dumped the barrel. I've decided to just hunt with the standard Glock set up other than the sites. What about the rest of you.
flyfishrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 13:24   #2
glock20hunter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Everything stock except TFO sights. Too many issues with aftermarket barrels and no real improvements IMO.
glock20hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 14:35   #3
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts
 
Brian Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Up a tree.
Posts: 8,043
If you had feed issues with your 6" barrel (that didn't exist with the stock barrel) then you need a better barrel than the brand you got. In some states 6" is required by law, so you may need it whether it works right or not. If your state does not require 6" barrels for hunting, then screw it, because the velocity gain in 10MM ammo is only about 50-75 FPS anyway.

Hog-zilla will never feel the difference.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 16:46   #4
Ryno12
NRA Life Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 19
In Wisconsin, we have a 5.5" minimum length so I went with a 6" Storm Lake. I did lightly polish the feed ramp. No FTFs. I also added a Wolff guide rod and 23lb spring. I reload so that helps keep my brass close when target shooting. I also added a Burris Fastfire RDS. For me, I'd rather have an RDS than use irons for hunting purposes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0533.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	229203
Ryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 17:14   #5
dbow
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 72
Stock. Only after i spend a ton of money buying **** that didn't work. Oh, also forgot to say that it really doesn't matter right now cuz i haven't been able to buy my hunter ammo from underwood for the past 6 weeks. So i guess I'm just going to be throwing the ****ing gun at deer this year. Glock 20 is turning out to be a royal PITA!!
dbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 23:45   #6
Stephenthesuave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 195
Ohio has a 5 inch rule, so I got a 6" KKM for mine. It's topped by a Leupold Deltapoint with the triangle "dot". Haven't shot with the Deltapoint yet since the whole rig is sitting in Ohio and I'm in Alaska for another month.

Early reports from my dad indicate that the 200 XTPs over 10 gr Blue Dot are flying VERY well.
Stephenthesuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 23:17   #7
aptrpl6
Detached Member
 
aptrpl6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 93
Stock for me with the exception of a Glock factory 6" barrel.
__________________
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. Got it?

Carolina Glockers 13666
aptrpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 23:32   #8
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy
 
LASTRESORT20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 8,258
Stock...other than 22lb spring...
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 00:17   #9
UnitBob
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
If your state does not require 6" barrels for hunting, then screw it, because the velocity gain in 10MM ammo is only about 50-75 FPS anyway.

Hog-zilla will never feel the difference.
From the thread about Mech Techs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUyQ-E9aEnI

135gr Underwood
4.6" Barrel: 1558fps
6" Barrel: 1735fps (+175fps)
16" Barrel: 2020fps (+462fps)
155gr GA Arms
4.6" Barrel: 1329fps
6" Barrel: 1470fps (+140fps)
16" Barrel: 1650fps (+321fps)
165gr Underwood
4.6" Barrel: 1361fps
6" Barrel: 1485fps (+125fps)
16" Barrel: 1695fps (+334fps)
180gr BuffaloBore
4.6" Barrel: 1327fps
6" Barrel: 1452fps (+125fps)
16" Barrel: 1565fps (+238fps)

That seems to me, to be a pretty substantial difference.
UnitBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 00:38   #10
Stephenthesuave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitBob View Post
That seems to me, to be a pretty substantial difference.
Yeah I'll take every bit I can get, and 125 fps is nothing to sneeze at.

I've never fired my stock barrel so I cant compare velocity, but we are getting 1220 from my KKM 6" with 200 gr XTPs over BD. It's very accurate, and zero pressure signs. Pretty easy work up on the load too. I'm sure there's more velocity available.
Stephenthesuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:43   #11
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts
 
Brian Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Up a tree.
Posts: 8,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitBob View Post
From the thread about Mech Techs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUyQ-E9aEnI

135gr Underwood
4.6" Barrel: 1558fps
6" Barrel: 1735fps (+175fps)
16" Barrel: 2020fps (+462fps)
155gr GA Arms
4.6" Barrel: 1329fps
6" Barrel: 1470fps (+140fps)
16" Barrel: 1650fps (+321fps)
165gr Underwood
4.6" Barrel: 1361fps
6" Barrel: 1485fps (+125fps)
16" Barrel: 1695fps (+334fps)
180gr BuffaloBore
4.6" Barrel: 1327fps
6" Barrel: 1452fps (+125fps)
16" Barrel: 1565fps (+238fps)

That seems to me, to be a pretty substantial difference.
Yes I've read internet numbers too, but the ones that came out of my own chrono right in front of my eyes, (same ammo, same day) told a different story, and the velocity gains were almost never 100FPS, and the averages were always less. So believe me or not. I'm not trying to sell ammo or barrels or anything else. Just relaying the data the chrono spit out, with no added sales pitches.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23   #12
Stephenthesuave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
Yes I've read internet numbers too, but the ones that came out of my own chrono right in front of my eyes, (same ammo, same day) told a different story, and the velocity gains were almost never 100FPS, and the averages were always less. So believe me or not. I'm not trying to sell ammo or barrels or anything else. Just relaying the data the chrono spit out, with no added sales pitches.
Which 6" barrel did you try?

I don't think anyone here doesn't believe you. That's one gun, one load, one day according to you. I just know the 6" will never be slower than the 4.6" barrel, so if in buying a barrel to shoot reloads from, i may as well get the longest practical length. Which is what I did.
Stephenthesuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 13:18   #13
Iceman cHucK
Senior Member
 
Iceman cHucK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: WA state
Posts: 463
Some of my Chrono results from my G20 four years ago with stock Glock 4.6" barrell and Glock 6" Brl

DT 155 Barnes; 4.6" 1257fps; 6" 1313fps +56fps
DT 165GD; 4.6" 1358fps; 6" 1432fps + 74fps
DT 200XTP; 4.6" 1113fps; 6" 1169fps + 56fps
DT 230HardCast; 4.6" 1079fps; 6" 1091fps +12fps
Win175ST; 4.6" 1205fps; 6" 1236fps +31fps
REED 175ST; 4.6" 1178fps?; 6" 1292fps +114fps?
All of the DT numbers are below advertised!
Iceman cHucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 14:20   #14
Ryno12
NRA Life Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrman View Post
I'm just curious about what most of you guys do here. I put Tru-Glo TFO's on my 20 and installed a 6" barrel, but had feed issues and dumped the barrel. I've decided to just hunt with the standard Glock set up other than the sites. What about the rest of you.

OP, what was your original question?
Ryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 19:06   #15
UnitBob
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
Yes I've read internet numbers too, but the ones that came out of my own chrono right in front of my eyes, (same ammo, same day) told a different story, and the velocity gains were almost never 100FPS, and the averages were always less.
What ammo were you using?
UnitBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 00:08   #16
PsTaN
Member
 
PsTaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 40
Modded:

Wolff Guide Rod and 22lbs Spring
KKM 6" barrel
Dawson Precision Adjustable Rear and Fiber Optic Front Sights.

Gun shoots wonderfully.

PsTaN
PsTaN is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:45.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,054
236 Members
818 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31