Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-10-2012, 22:01   #1
picketpin

BTB 200 and KKM 6"

I have loaded up some of beartooths 200gr wfngc bullets at 1.26" and they hit the rifling far before fully chambering, I had to shorten them to 1.22" to get them to chamber. I e-mailed kkm and ask if they could ream the chamber and open it up for the Beartooth Bullets. The answer was" we cut our chambers to SAMMI specs". So, do you guys know any where to send my KKM barrel to open it up enough to be able to use the Beartooths I have? I guess I can use the facxtory barrel with these and they will chamber fine but its kinda messed up to buy a new barrel and have ammo fail to chamber fully.

james
picketpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 22:56   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Sorry I can't help with a lead on a shop that can help with your chamber. I am glad that you posted though. I am going to pick up a 6" barrel for woods carry. The WFNGC is what I like to carry. I have been debating getting a plain ol' Glock hunting barrel vs. a KKM or LW. You might have settled it for me. The Beartooth-style bullet feeds great in my stock 4.6" chamber @ 1.26", so I imagine that the Glock chamber might be more suitable for that bullet profile.

Again, sorry to not have a lead for you on fixing your KKM. They have a pretty good reputation so I am surprised that they are not making it right for you.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:03   #3
ctious

U could lap the barrel yourself. Load a dummy round put lapping compound in the bullet. Run a screw in the primer pocket. Attach to cordless drill. Work the bullet lightly deeper till it falls in the chamber fully. It will take some time and u will have to add more lapping compound. And probably need a few dummy rounds. But it can be done.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24   #4
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I would think KKM would do it for you. I've had several and some have slight differences, like the G21 4.6" wouldn't chamber an XTP unless it was loaded 1.235" or less. The one I have now, the 4-port version G21 will accept an XTP loaded to 1.260". My 6" G24 barrel thankfully will accept my warm .40's loaded with 200gr WFNGC Beartooths to 1.160"+, I'm actually limited by my mags not my bbl, but that may not be the deal with all of them.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 12-11-2012 at 09:26..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:36   #5
21Glock

Lone Wolf had to do it for me on their 6" and stock length barrels in .45 ACP barrel for my G21. Of course, their chambers are known to be short to begin with. But it feeds pretty much anything now. Gave them a dummy round and they matched the chamber to the O.A.L.
My KKM barrel for my Gen 4 G20 doesn't like truncated cone slugs unless I seat a little deeper that usual. Learning the sweet spot with this barrel.

Both good, accurate barrels.
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43   #6
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by picketpin View Post
I have loaded up some of beartooths 200gr wfngc bullets at 1.26" and they hit the rifling far before fully chambering, I had to shorten them to 1.22" to get them to chamber. I e-mailed kkm and ask if they could ream the chamber and open it up for the Beartooth Bullets. The answer was" we cut our chambers to SAMMI specs". So, do you guys know any where to send my KKM barrel to open it up enough to be able to use the Beartooths I have? I guess I can use the facxtory barrel with these and they will chamber fine but its kinda messed up to buy a new barrel and have ammo fail to chamber fully.

james
I believe forum member CanyonMan had the same issue with his Beartooth loads in his new KKM and they told him the same thing (IIRC, I could be wrong)

They make a great barrel but they may not adjust them for you ...

Nick
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 15:35   #7
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

What James id looking for it someone to cut the freebore area...There have been others who have had issues with the very WIDE nose profile. Seatling slightly deeper is what most have done.
Look at this info at 38Super; http://www.38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The same will hold for the 10mm cartridges...
The Freebore area is mostly cut for a Turncated Cone Style, and this can vary from one manufacture to the next. Therefore finding someone with a reamer to cut for the fit the WFNGC would require a special reamer
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:13   #8
blastfact

Great post Shadow!
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:31   #9
picketpin

Thanks for that great post shadow. Exactly what the problem is, deep seating is another solution but I feel that with my particular barrel I will have to seat the WFNGC's so deep I will loose too much case capacity. I guess I could call my local smith and see if he has the reamers to handle it. Thanks for all the replys, and if there are other ideas I'd like to hear them.

James
Old 12-11-2012, 17:40   #10
picketpin

ctious, interesting solution for sure, I may try the dummy lapping thing if I can't find another solution.

Thanks for the idea,
James
Old 12-11-2012, 18:05   #11
ctious

Quote:
ctious, interesting solution for sure, I may try the dummy lapping thing if I can't find another solution.

Thanks for the idea,
James
I ended up loading my dummys to 1.27. That way I still got the .001 jump when loaded to 1.26. Took me 5 dummys. And about a hour. Min was not that tight though. So just be prepaired for a few hours.
Old 12-11-2012, 19:18   #12
oceanbob

A good Smith might charge you $100 to ream it. Or you could buy a chamber reamer.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod17655.aspx
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33   #13
ModGlock17

I got DT 200gr WFNGC loaded to 1.250" and they fit, loaded, and fired fine in my KKM 6" barrel. 8.0gr LS yielded 1,220fps... A bit anaemic. 8.3gr should be good for me.

A philosophy of mine: Never fix a short term problem with a permanent solution. For $40+, I'd find another bullet design rather than invest $60+ in a permanent solution.

FWIW.

I guess it's like retrofit the fuel injector in your car to run gasohol mixture when you can easily find gasoline to run it.

Last edited by ModGlock17; 12-12-2012 at 10:39..
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:15   #14
ctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
I got DT 200gr WFNGC loaded to 1.250" and they fit, loaded, and fired fine in my KKM 6" barrel. 8.0gr LS yielded 1,220fps... A bit anaemic. 8.3gr should be good for me.

A philosophy of mine: Never fix a short term problem with a permanent solution. For $40+, I'd find another bullet design rather than invest $60+ in a permanent solution.

FWIW.

I guess it's like retrofit the fuel injector in your car to run gasohol mixture when you can easily find gasoline to run it.
And that works for just shooting. But.if u want a hunting gun your going to.need to make the changes. Being there are not many good bullet designs in .40 cal.
Old 12-12-2012, 14:01   #15
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
What James id looking for it someone to cut the freebore area...There have been others who have had issues with the very WIDE nose profile. Seatling slightly deeper is what most have done.
Look at this info at 38Super; http://www.38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The same will hold for the 10mm cartridges...
The Freebore area is mostly cut for a Turncated Cone Style, and this can vary from one manufacture to the next. Therefore finding someone with a reamer to cut for the fit the WFNGC would require a special reamer
Thanks Shadow! Great illustration and exactly why I don't reload those calibers to max OAL. I know I can test and make 'em work in MY weapons but I will not know if they'd work in another one...should I need to use one ICE.
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 14:50   #16
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
And that works for just shooting. But.if u want a hunting gun your going to.need to make the changes. Being there are not many good bullet designs in .40 cal.
That's why I suggested DoubleTap 200gr WFNGC, but I'm no hunter.
Old 12-12-2012, 16:55   #17
ctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
That's why I suggested DoubleTap 200gr WFNGC, but I'm no hunter.
Dt and bt wfngc are almost identical. The Dt are .001 wider. In his barrel the Dt would be worse than the bt.

His barrel needs to be worked over or he is stuck shooting jacketed.
Old 12-12-2012, 18:01   #18
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
Dt and bt wfngc are almost identical. The Dt are .001 wider. In his barrel the Dt would be worse than the bt.

His barrel needs to be worked over or he is stuck shooting jacketed.
What you are saying is KKM's mfg variation can produce some barrels that accommodate 200gr WFNGC and some that don't. Mine does, and his doesn't.

THAT is very interesting info.
Old 12-12-2012, 21:50   #19
picketpin

ctious, i made a couple dummies and on and off today I have had time to do a little lapping. It looks like it will settle in with just a little more work. way less than the three hours it took you. thanks for the tip and process.

james
Old 12-13-2012, 00:05   #20
ctious

Quote:
ctious, i made a couple dummies and on and off today I have had time to do a little lapping. It looks like it will settle in with just a little more work. way less than the three hours it took you. thanks for the tip and process.

james
Mine only took a hour. Figured it would take longer depending on how tight yours was. I also used a real fine compound. But I am glad its working for you.