Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2012, 23:07   #1
ArrowJ

Dillon Powder Measure Baffle...

Is there any reason I should not construct my own powder baffle for the powder measure that comes with the 550B? I saw one for sale so I assume it does not come with one. I have a piece of tin I could fashion one from. Could someone that has a baffle measure it for me?
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 23:37   #2
PCJim

The powder hopper already has a baffle installed in it. No need for another IMO.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 00:04   #3
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
The powder hopper already has a baffle installed in it. No need for another IMO.
I agree. A long time ago they didn't now they do.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:05   #4
ArrowJ

All the better, thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17   #5
Colorado4Wheel

A good powder baffle creates a chamber under the baffle that is only filled through two smaller holes on the side. Hard to describe, easy to recognize when you see it. The Dillon has a bar across the chamber but no true baffel. A baffel always has a little air pocket/void right under the top part of the V in the baffel.

I had one at one time. No big deal with most powders. I never thought it was worth the money I paid for loading the powders I use.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 12-01-2012 at 07:21..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:39   #6
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

The Powder measure on my Dillon press is of the new variety -- it has a powder baffle bridge between the two screws that hold the hopper in place (i.e. it is an integral part of the hopper tube). I've run Titegroup with powder above this baffle and taken it down to below the baffle and hopper tube during a session. Checking throw weights every twenty rounds, or so, I have yet to detect any variation in charge weight (i.e. charge has been accurate to 1/10 grain each time I've checked it).

It might be the powder I've used, but I can see no benefit to the consistency of charge weight associated with the baffle.
Old 12-01-2012, 13:41   #7
ArrowJ

So can a standard baffle be used with the built in quasi baffle? If so I would still be interested in the interior diameter of the measure...it gives me a project (however useless)
Old 12-01-2012, 13:50   #8
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
So can a standard baffle be used with the built in quasi baffle? If so I would still be interested in the interior diameter of the measure...it gives me a project (however useless)
The baffles I originally bought from Uniquetek will fit inside the new style hoppers, can't speak for any other brand.

FWIW, I have loaded a lot of different powders and tried with and without the Uniquetek baffles in my new style hoppers and frankly I could not measure any difference. From my experience, the consistency of powder drops is first the powder itself (i.e. the grain size mainly) and then consistency of operation. I read all about how guys get consistent throws with Unique or even more, ah, interesting something like IMR 4064 and my conclusion is always they need a new scale. Just an opinion.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 13:51   #9
ArrowJ

I want to make a baffle dang it. Somebody lie to me
Old 12-01-2012, 15:36   #10
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
I want to make a baffle dang it. Somebody lie to me
It won't hurt to add one.

But considering that they are available for $8 from UniqueTek, I don't see the purpose in making one.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1278

Richard
Old 12-01-2012, 15:50   #11
ArrowJ

Well, I have two reasons. $8 > $0 and I want to make something, and I think my skill level might be equal to the task, maybe.
Old 12-01-2012, 17:26   #12
WiskyT
Malcontent

I don't think a baffle will do anything. But, it's not some kind of black magic voodoo making one. I think you should just snip the tin, or even an aluminum soda can, to mimic a picture of a uniquetek one you find online. Then you can try it out and report on any differences you find.

Baffles stop surges. They dampen things that are moving. Powder in a measure is basically static, it's standing still. I think a baffle is something that looks like it would make a difference, but in reality, it doesn't.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 17:43   #13
F106 Fan

One thing the baffle will do is keep the pressure pushing the powder into the bar somewhat independent of how much powder is in the hopper. I don't know that the baffle works better than the factory arrangement but other powder measures have had baffles for decades.

Actually, the math of forming the parabola where the plane intersects the cylinder at an angle is very interesting. If someone's interested in that sort of thing. I used to be, back around 1969.

Richard
Old 12-01-2012, 18:20   #14
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Actually, the math of forming the parabola where the plane intersects the cylinder at an angle is very interesting. If someone's interested in that sort of thing. I used to be, back around 1969.

Richard
Exactly , not a simple thing. If you want to make one make it out of thin cardboard first and just experiment. Got an Cereal Box?
Old 12-01-2012, 18:42   #15
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Exactly , not a simple thing. If you want to make one make it out of thin cardboard first and just experiment. Got an Cereal Box?
The pictures of all the ones online are just that, simple.

Old 12-01-2012, 20:01   #16
PCJim

Baffles are marketed under the premise that they will provide more consistent powder drops/throws. I once intentionally ran one of my 550b powder hoppers until the last bit of powder was dropped, weighing those last drops on my very trusty 5-0-5 beam scale. Until the final partial drop, the drops all weighed the same.

While I don't recall the powder being used during that experiment (I think it was WST), I do vividly recall my astonishment with the consistency of the weight of those last drops. I had fully expected their weights to drop off.

The Dillon hopper does not need any help to maintain the 550B's reputation as a consistent powder measure.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 20:06   #17
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
The pictures are simple, the concept seems simple... but the size and angle have been figured out pretty well by UniqueTek. You kind of drop it in the hopper from the top, slightly squeezing the outside of the hopper and it drops into the right place and stays there like a champ, locked in, seemingly forever. If you try to push it in, it will only scratch up the inside of the hopper.

I tried (completely) polishing the lower/inside of the measure (Part # 22273) with a Dremel and Flitz because I "read on the internet" that that could help consistency. When I didn't notice any particular difference from that, I bought the UniqueTek baffles and polished them before installing. Dunno... right now, at my 3.6 gr throw of N320 (which meters well in the first place) I am at +0/-.1gr - when checked my throws are mostly 3.6, but some are 3.5. Since my load spread is .5 gr, I'm happy to have that accuracy - but that accuracy is fleeting and can easily suffer from inconsistent press operation (user error).

I think UniqueTek has the baffle documentation online.

I will not be removing mine to try to reverse-engineer them for other's construction of something so cheap. Try polishing the part number mentioned above, all the way down through the passage that goes to the powder bar.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 23:24   #18
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Creating the angle is the non simple part. Besides that its pretty basic.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:06   #19
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Creating the angle is the non simple part. Besides that its pretty basic.
Angle of what? They are just bent pieces of plastic or metal with a couple of wholes in them. You make it sound like one of those vortex things that is supposed to double your fuel mileage.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:20   #20
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Angle of what? They are just bent pieces of plastic or metal with a couple of wholes in them. You make it sound like one of those vortex things that is supposed to double your fuel mileage.
You just love to argue with me. Don't you?

The radius of the cut is very precise. It's not a simple radius. It follows the curve of the tube perfectly to seal it from leaks. I have tried to cut that angle/curve. Its not a simple angle to draw free hand correctly to get that tight leak free fit. If it leaks around that angle too much then you don't create the separate chamber under the baffle.

Btw the sky here in Colorado is usually Blue. With little white puffs. Want to argue about that as well? How seem bored.