GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:49   #1
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,530
Ruger 1911

I bought a ruger 1911 this morning. It seems pretty solid for the cost. I paid 636 out the door. They had about 20 of them or so at Whittaker guns, if anybody is looking for one. I've seen these going for crazy prices on gunbroker and armslist.

The only thing I don't like about it, is how much play is in the frame to slide. I know it's only a 639 dollar gun, but dang!!


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by matt_lowry123; 09-30-2012 at 18:12..
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 13:04   #2
Roering
Sorting nuts
 
Roering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lowry123 View Post
I bought a ruger 1911 this morning. It seems pretty solid for the cost. I paid 636 out the door. They had about 20 of them or so at Whittaker guns, if anybody is looking for one. I've seen these going for crazy prices on gunbroker and armslist.

The only thing I don't like about it, is how much play is in the frame to slide. I know it's only a 639 dollar gun, but dang!!


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Congrats on the Ruger, that's a great price and I think you got a lot more than a $636 gun there....great deal.

Oh and don't worry about some play in the weapon. It may help with reliability.

If they were for sale in CA, I'd pick one up.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Warranty voiding

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 13:28   #3
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Congrats on the Ruger, that's a great price and I think you got a lot more than a $636 gun there....great deal.

Oh and don't worry about some play in the weapon. It may help with reliability.

If they were for sale in CA, I'd pick one up.

Yeah I can't wait to take it out!! I'm happy with it and glad I bought it!!!

They had a springfield range officer there too. I've been wanting to pick one of those up for awhile but haven't seen them around. If it's there next month, I'll most likely pick it up.
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 13:44   #4
Hoss
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southeast MI
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lowry123 View Post
I bought a ruger 1911 this morning. It seems pretty solid for the cost. I paid 636 out the door. They had about 20 of them or so at Whittaker guns, if anybody is looking for one. I've seen these going for crazy prices on gunbroker and armslist.

The only thing I don't like about it, is how much play is in the frame to slide. I know it's only a 639 dollar gun, but dang!!


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
My friend has one, he loves it. I shot it while he was breaking it in and it is really a nice gun. He has had no issues. Enjoy!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 13:56   #5
sawgrass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,315
Congrats on a nice gun!
I really like mine and haven't had any problems with it.
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 18:45   #6
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,641
Congrats!

That's not much more than I paid when they first came out.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 19:49   #7
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Congrats!

That's not much more than I paid when they first came out.
Thanks man!! I was going to clean it tonight, but I got lazy. When I rack the slide, it feels a little gritty. I'm going to run 200 rounds through it this weekend and see if it smooths out any.
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:54   #8
257 roberts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 462
I've put 90 rds threw mine when i got it and 86rds threw it Saturday at a IDPA match,had 3 failures to go into battery but I'm not worried because the gun is brand new it shoots very nice.
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:04   #9
crazyasian1
Senior Member
 
crazyasian1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gainesville, VA
Posts: 523
Can't find them around here at all, and no prospects for when we might get some. Last LGS I talked to said "... Problem is, Ruger had these backordered before production even started..."

So FYI, I hate you.
__________________
famous last words: "Check this **** out..."
crazyasian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:18   #10
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
stopatrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,157
Good deal!
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:21   #11
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasian1 View Post
Can't find them around here at all, and no prospects for when we might get some. Last LGS I talked to said "... Problem is, Ruger had these backordered before production even started..."

So FYI, I hate you.


I feel you on that one!!! Nobody ever has them in stock!! I see them going for crazy prices on gunbroker and whatnot.
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:29   #12
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257 roberts View Post
I've put 90 rds threw mine when i got it and 86rds threw it Saturday at a IDPA match,had 3 failures to go into battery but I'm not worried because the gun is brand new it shoots very nice.
I hope that doesn't happen again!! Was the round hung on the feed ramp, or could you tap the slide and make it go into battery?
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39   #13
ArmoryDoc
Senior Member
 
ArmoryDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,897
The side-to-side slop just ensures reliability. It has almost no affect on accuracy. Accuracy is attributed to barrel to slide fit.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05   #14
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
The side-to-side slop just ensures reliability. It has almost no affect on accuracy. Accuracy is attributed to barrel to slide fit.
mine better be super reliable!!! I have up and down movement.

I have read that somewhere. It's just a little more than my other 1911's. I wasn't expecting hand fitting, but something a little tighter. I guess I'm ranting over nothing. I'm sure it'll still shoot good!!

Last edited by matt_lowry123; 08-24-2012 at 09:09..
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 13:50   #15
Gary1911A1
Senior Member
 
Gary1911A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio for now
Posts: 3,613
Thanks for posting Matt. I just got off the phone to Whittakers about 10 minutes ago after ordering another. I paid more for my first one which was excellent so I decided to get another while I had the chance at an even better price. I don't often buy more than two pistols that are identical, but when I do it's a 1911. Wish I could post a picture of that guy in the commercials with that typed in. LOL
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 14:08   #16
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
Thanks for posting Matt. I just got off the phone to Whittakers about 10 minutes ago after ordering another. I paid more for my first one which was excellent so I decided to get another while I had the chance at an even better price. I don't often buy more than two pistols that are identical, but when I do it's a 1911. Wish I could post a picture of that guy in the commercials with that typed in. LOL


That pic would be classic!!!!

That's cool that you have two of them!! I was driving to work this morning and thinking about stopping back in there. These things go like hot cakes!!
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 14:25   #17
SPIN2010
Searching ...
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: On the move ... again!
Posts: 1,840
They are all sold out as of 1625 EST
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 15:55   #18
ArmoryDoc
Senior Member
 
ArmoryDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lowry123 View Post
mine better be super reliable!!! I have up and down movement.

I have read that somewhere. It's just a little more than my other 1911's. I wasn't expecting hand fitting, but something a little tighter. I guess I'm ranting over nothing. I'm sure it'll still shoot good!!
You shouldn't have any trouble if you run good ammo. I'd rather have a looser 1911 myself. Sounds like you got my gun. I'm home if you wanna run it by now.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 18:51   #19
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
You shouldn't have any trouble if you run good ammo. I'd rather have a looser 1911 myself. Sounds like you got my gun. I'm home if you wanna run it by now.
Yeah yeah, I'll drop it off here in a little bit

I cleaned it a little bit ago. It was pretty dirty for being a new gun. I can't wait to put some rounds through it tomorrow!!
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 19:30   #20
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lyle WA
Posts: 22,747
shoot and enjoy



I pre ordered on last year before the madness, a fantastic value for $629. The black controls were a bit odd looking but easily swapped out.

They are starting to sit under the glass 'round here for $689, still a great value for a Made in USA Caspian 1911.

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 10-01-2012 at 20:07..
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,160
302 Members
858 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42