GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:05   #1
jabergmann66

Older Senior with right to Carry question?

I am 77 years old. Have a Glock 23 G4 and practice 150-250 rounds per month. Shoot 150 grain practice, and when carrying, 180 JHP 12 max. Question due to my loss of strength due to my age, Is is recommended to carry with load in chamber a live round, and max magzine (12 rounds). My problem is racking the slide back due to lack of physical strength. Field stripping is also a problem that takes 5-10 minutes to remove slide. Have 3.5 trigger set up, shoot 2-3" groups at 15-20 feet 2 handed hold and open stance. Also shoot and carry ISSC M22 200-500 rouneds per month. 1-2" groups at 20 feet Suggestions, Buy a revolver 4 inch 357 or 40 cal.? PS Also have 4- 20" slide shotguns at home loaded on SAFETY, 4-6 roounds each. BB to # 4-6 shot. Thank you,
jabergmann66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 17:17   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Welcome to Glock Talk, brother Geezer!

You didn't go into specifics on strength loss, so I'm going to assume that it's mainly in grasping strength. A few suggestions there:

1: If running the slide is a problem, learn to run the slide with the gun almost upside down, and the rear sight hooked onto the edge of a sturdy belt or holster. Push the gun until the slide retracts. Then let it snap forward with full spring pressure. YOU WANT TO DO THAT WITH THE MUZZLE DOWN 45 DEGREES AWAY FROM YOURSELF IN A SAFE DIRECTION, AND YOU WANT TO PRACTICE IT EXTENSIVELY WITH DUMMY AMMO BEFORE TRYING IT WITH LIVE CARTRIDGES.

2: A high, rugged rear sight with squarish front works best for this. I'd recommend the excellent 10-8 Glock sight designed by Hilton Yam.

3: I would also warn you that the 3.5 lb. connector is not a great idea in a self-defense gun unless mated with the NY-1 connector. You can find extensive explanation why in a search on 3.5 lb connectors here on Glock Talk, and I believe some of that material is stickied at the top of the Carry Issues section.

Give this method a try, DRY, and c'mon back here and let me know how it works for you.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48   #3
jabergmann66

Thank you for your interest. I have reviewed the pros and con of 3.5 trigger release vs. factory 5+. I have swapped out the 3.5 to the 5+. Did some work on strength exercises to remove slide. They have helped and can NOW remove slide much easier. Again Thank you! One last question to all! I have a right to CC in WISCONSIN, BUT I have read some many HOROR stories about IF weapon is used fpor personal protection. A LAWSUIT is SOON TO FOLLOW! Do you advise to get insurance with USCCA for $500 per year???? I rairly carry daily and only if we and NOT dinning out or to friends homes, BUT the problem when and where is protection needed? Just secure in car??? It would be nice IF we all would know when we will be in a gun fight, BUT that seldom happens???Again thank you for the advise, I apprerciate your effors and time!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Sounds as if you're making progress already. Congratulations!

The USCCA program is certainly something to look at. So is the aAmed Citizens Legal Defense Network, armedcitizensnetwork.com. Since I'm involved with the latter group, it would be a conflict for me to recommend one over the other. Since GATE is essentially a two-party communications avenue for short Q&A, you might want to open a broader discussion thread on this topic in Carry Issues.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:59   #5
jabergmann66

Thank you for your reply!

I have joined for one year @ $85. I will review when the material becomes available to me in the near future. Having SOMEBODY to turn to in the event I need to use deadly force to protect myself, family and property has been a CONCERN for years. I will call them on Monday with any additions question I may have. Again thank you for your TIME and concern!