GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03   #126
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Interesting read.

Many more sources out there, the bible thumpers won't be happy with it though.

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vita...eRealStory.htm
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11   #127
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat
 
happyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Odin's son carried a hammer.

Your god's son was nailed to a cross.

You do the math....

I don't have any time for imaginary friends that are weak. Victory or Valhalla!
Like I said, telling...and childish.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
__________________
"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire." - Arnold H. Glasgow
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23   #128
Cream Soda Kid
Senior Member
 
Cream Soda Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
and you're very articulate. You've just convinced many on here that Christmas is a christian holiday. If only everyone on this board could be as bright as you, and bring facts to the table instead of name calling!
You continue to demonstrate that you are a forty watt bulb in a hundred watt world.
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:27   #129
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Like I said, telling...and childish.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

No more childish than believing a bearded hippie is the son of god because his body disappeared days after being nailed to the cross.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29   #130
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream Soda Kid View Post
You continue to demonstrate that you are a forty watt bulb in a hundred watt world.

Another convincing fact you've brought to the table to help "non believers" convert to your ways. It's no wonder why most the world is religious!
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32   #131
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
A mighty anti theologian you are. Maybe you should write a book and call it - The Case Against Christ. Your atheist buddies here could buy it an you could do a book signing tour. Look how much Stobel has made and how many lives he has changed. You sir are way smarter than him.
You mean Strobel? "The Case For Christ" has been shot full of more holes than the Bible at this point. Maybe he just did it for the money.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40   #132
Cream Soda Kid
Senior Member
 
Cream Soda Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Another convincing fact you've brought to the table to help "non believers" convert to your ways. It's no wonder why most the world is religious!
It appears I over - estimated your intellect.
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40   #133
RC-RAMIE
Senior Member
 
RC-RAMIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
Interesting reading
RC-RAMIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44   #134
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream Soda Kid View Post
It appears I over - estimated your intellect.

"Overestimated" is all one word. At least you can spell "intellect" correctly, though.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53   #135
Cream Soda Kid
Senior Member
 
Cream Soda Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
"Overestimated" is all one word. At least you can spell "intellect" correctly, though.
I'm impressed, you can read, but did you understand it? Comprehension is key. Even for dimwits like you.
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54   #136
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat
 
happyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
... if you look at ancient peoples. They were very barbaric and it was still a very "might makes right" type of world.
So what's changed? Have you taken a look around outside your burg lately?

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
__________________
"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire." - Arnold H. Glasgow
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13   #137
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream Soda Kid View Post
I'm impressed, you can read, but did you understand it? Comprehension is key. Even for dimwits like you.

Ah, name calling. The cornerstone of any intelligent person's arsenal in the art of persuasion. You ever considered going into sales or Business Development? I think that would be an area you'd shine in!
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16   #138
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
So what's changed? Have you taken a look around outside your burg lately?

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Quite a bit. 4,000 years ago if I wanted your woman, all I had to do was bash your head in and take her for my own. She had no say so in the matter. I would force myself on her and take her as my new property. I would also take your belongings and claim those as mine as well. Not much of anything would have happened to me. Especially if others in our village were afraid of me.

Today... I could still bash your head in. But I'd go to prison for murder. Your woman would move on. And most of your belongs would go to either your wife or next of kin. Our society has laws and a law enforcement system in place. We are far more educated than ever before and we know more about our origins and that the beginnings of our universe. We're simply more grown up. Man is a violent animal... I suspect we always will be though I hope not. But we're not as barbaric as we were in our past. Our thinking is different. If I see you and your woman pass by... even if I'm greatly attracted to her... I simply think to myself "She's hot." or "I wonder if he's hittin that right and if not can I get her to cheat on him?" But it never occurs to me to murder you and take her for my own. We're just not like that anymore.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41   #139
ArrowJ
Senior Member
 
ArrowJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I would also take your belongings and claim those as mine as well...But we're not as barbaric as we were in our past.
Much, now we gather into groups to do our stealing, and call it mandated health care instead of stealing. After all, if the majority thinks it is right..."very cosmopolitan."

Speaking of majority, I am not so sure the vast majority of the humans on the planet (undeveloped countries, Muslim women, communist populace, starving, widows, orphans, etc.) would agree with your positive perspective of modern man.
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54   #140
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
Much, now we gather into groups to do our stealing, and call it mandated health care instead of stealing. After all, if the majority thinks it is right..."very cosmopolitan."
Well it's true that our mob mentality as of late is not helping us move forward. Homosexuals are being denied equal marriage rights because of it.

Quote:
Speaking of majority, I am not so sure the vast majority of the humans on the planet (undeveloped countries, Muslim women, communist populace, starving, widows, orphans, etc.) would agree with your positive perspective of modern man.
Sure... but I think you'll find we and other nations like us are the example of Man at his most evolved and civilized at the moment.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07   #141
ArrowJ
Senior Member
 
ArrowJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Well it's true that our mob mentality as of late is not helping us move forward. Homosexuals are being denied equal marriage rights because of it.
LOL Seriously? I agree, government should have nothing to do with marriage, gay or otherwise.

Quote:
Sure... but I think you'll find we and other nations like us are the example of Man at his most evolved and civilized at the moment.
Well, that is just scary.
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13   #142
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
LOL Seriously? I agree, government should have nothing to do with marriage, gay or otherwise.
I don't disagree with that. But as long as they are it must include all adult citizens.



Quote:
Well, that is just scary.
For a believer I can see why. But we are moving away from religion and it's a good thing. You're point is well taken... look at areas of the world far more entrenched in religion. And look at like the US. We have some of the smartest people in the world living here and it's because ideas are allowed to grow with as little interference from religion as possible.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36   #143
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Wow, kinda sensitive? Telling you to read something as an adult is name calling? You folks crack me up. I think when I called you a tool in another thread "might" be considered name calling.
You told me to read it as an adult, insinuating that I wasn't reading it as an adult. Which would then be saying that I read it as an uninformed child, which yes, is indeed name calling.

But maybe I should've taken it as a compliment instead. Because it really says something about you, when I read the bible as an uninformed child, and I STILL know more about it than you do.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49   #144
Schabesbert
Senior Member
 
Schabesbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Posts: 10,616


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I'm still waiting for you refute to the evidence.
It's quite thoroughly refuted. Denying it won't help your argument.

No wonder you hold the positions you do -- you're either refusing to read the refutation, or incapable of understanding it.

Quote:
And if you didn't bother to realize it, that evidence comes direct from religious people, who I'm sure are way more educated in the bible than you are. So are you trying to say they're wrong and you're right?
You're joking, right?

Besides the obvious fallacious appeal to authority, my source (which you either have not read or were unable to understand) points to multiple Church Fathers, who were a) quite well versed in scripture, in addition to having the benefit of being fluent in not only the languages involved, but the dialects and colloquialisms as well, and b) living in the area, as well as having spent some considerable time in the climates in question here.

It's amazing that some internet guy, whom YOU claim has "bible education," could think they found something OBVIOUSLY inconsistant in scripture when these guys hadn't.

Quote:
So, who is right? The author of Matthew, who claims that Jesus was born shortly before the death of Herod, which happened around 4 BC, or Luke, who claims Jesus was born during the Roman census, which happened around 6 AD.
Ahhh, changing the subject. A famously cowardly technique of one who's losing the argument.

Quote:
Yet another contradiction of your mighty book.
Read The census of Quirinius here. Then think about it for a while; let it sink in.
__________________
He is no fool who exchanges that which he cannot keep for that which he can never lose.

Ho kurios mou, kai ho theos mou
Schabesbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56   #145
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,541
And yet even now, I'm still waiting for you to refute it. And if you don't like it, even Animal Mother refuted your supposed refutations.

And no, I wasn't changing the subject, it was just in line with what we were saying. One part of the bible says something, another part says something else. If you're so bright and knowledgeable on the bible, why does your mighty, all knowing bible say two totally different things?
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56   #146
Schabesbert
Senior Member
 
Schabesbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Posts: 10,616


Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Did the Magi visit before or after this?
That's unknown; my opinion, though, is that the Magi visited after the presentation.

Quote:
How long should Herod have had to wait to make this realization, if Joseph, Mary and Jesus were in Jerusalem only 8 days later?
Good question. Here's another one: if there WERE martians, what would they eat for lunch?

Quote:
An event no one else, other than Matthew records. Why would Herod, knowing as he presumably would of the census and the related movements to ancestral homes (as needed to explain why the Holy Family were in Bethlehem in the first place) limit his slaughter to Bethlehem?
One can only speculate, but it's possible that the census hadn't yet been completed, and so they were expected to stay put.

Quote:
Wouldn't the King receive word of Simeon's blessing?
Why?

Quote:
Even assuming a December birth, Herod was dead within months,
How do you know that? It could have been the following year.

Quote:
How long did they spend in Egypt?
We don't know. Do you?
You seem to be making a slew of assumptions, without even realizing it. This shows sloppy thinking.

Quote:
Are you at least a little embarrassed to be posting such questionable "refutations"?
Yes, AM. I am also embarassed for you, as well as TK.
__________________
He is no fool who exchanges that which he cannot keep for that which he can never lose.

Ho kurios mou, kai ho theos mou
Schabesbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:01   #147
Schabesbert
Senior Member
 
Schabesbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Posts: 10,616


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
And yet even now, I'm still waiting for you to refute it.
I'm sure you are. Is it because you're afraid to address the refutations, or because you're unable to understand them?

Quote:
And no, I wasn't changing the subject


What color is the sky in your world?
__________________
He is no fool who exchanges that which he cannot keep for that which he can never lose.

Ho kurios mou, kai ho theos mou
Schabesbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:06   #148
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,541
When you actually provide some reasonable, specific and accurate refutations to what I posted, then I'll take the time to go through them. But until you post meaningful things, instead of useless dribble, then I won't waste my time talking about them.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:11   #149
Schabesbert
Senior Member
 
Schabesbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Posts: 10,616


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
When you actually provide some reasonable, specific and accurate refutations to what I posted, then I'll take the time to go through them. But until you post meaningful things, instead of useless dribble, then I won't waste my time talking about them.

Translation: I have no meaningful response, so I'll childishly pretend that your arguments don't exist.

Thanks for the tacit admission, TK!
__________________
He is no fool who exchanges that which he cannot keep for that which he can never lose.

Ho kurios mou, kai ho theos mou
Schabesbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:16   #150
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,541
Luke 2:1-7

"In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while[a] Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to their own town to register.

4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them."

Now then, please explain to me why they would bother having a census in the winter?

Last edited by TK-421; 12-06-2012 at 13:17..
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,099
359 Members
740 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42